Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Starting tomorrow, NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements

Captain Morgan
School: Appalachian State

Starting tomorrow, NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Every NCAA athlete in the country will be able to make money from endorsements and through a variety of other ventures starting Thursday.

The NCAA's board of directors decided Wednesday to officially suspend the organization's rules prohibiting athletes from selling the rights to their names, images and likenesses. The new rules represent a major shift in the association's definition of amateurism -- a shift that NCAA leaders previously believed was antithetical to the nature of college sports.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ness-deals

VNova

Re: Starting tomorrow, NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:06 pm

I await the onslaught of student athletes vying for instagram sponsors that will let supporters take 5% off whatever product is being hawked.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:35 pm

This is fine in theory. For example if top stars only got $ for likeness. But it gives greenlight to pay recruits under the guise of their likeness etc. Super easy to funnel $$ to non-stars and ways to claim it was under that purview

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 pm

Just from my own Twitter feed I’ve noted that both ULL and UNCC are marketing a very organized and helpful support system for their athletes regarding NIL.

DG and Clark needs to get on this yesterday. It’s the right thing to do to assist our student athletes and it’s obviously a major recruiting tool for every sport.

If we’re doing something similar it needs to be common knowledge among current and prospective athletes. And it needs to be better than all our peers.

ASU_Victory_Lap

Unread post by ASU_Victory_Lap » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 pm
Just from my own Twitter feed I’ve noted that both ULL and UNCC are marketing a very organized and helpful support system for their athletes regarding NIL.

DG and Clark needs to get on this yesterday. It’s the right thing to do to assist our student athletes and it’s obviously a major recruiting tool for every sport.

If we’re doing something similar it needs to be common knowledge among current and prospective athletes. And it needs to be better than all our peers.
We’ve got a very strong social media following compared to our peers. I’m pretty disappointed we haven’t seen public backing of this from the university/sports programs. This is going to be a huge recruiting tool that absolutely needs to be utilized, not just for football, but all teams.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Appalachian has already done that per the article 8 January 2021. https://appstatesports.com/news/2021/1/ ... arlow.aspx

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 pm

Does this mean I can create a shell company called "My Right Foot Lawn Services" and start funding it through "backers" so that I can pay our star players absurd amounts of money for using their likeness on the companies webpage? Lets say around 1mil per star player.

Who needs to donate to the Yosef club when you can pay the players directly!!??

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 pm

This is going to be interesting in the locker room.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 am

This whole thing is going to be an absurd and out of control mess. There will be numerous situations where recruits and players “get paid” but don’t really “get paid”- wink wink.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:18 am

Per espn Milton of FSU and King of Miami have already started a company to help athletes with this.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 am

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:53 am

So all the players can set up PayPal or venmo accounts so we can tip them when they make big plays.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 am

One thing I am trying to get clarification on is how it works with boosters. For example, as a business owner and a booster, if I pay student athletes to represent my company, is that allowed? Technically, since I am a booster, it shouldn't be BUT with the new ruling, it could be.

I am all for paying the players for their likeness, but unless managed properly, it's going to get out of hand real quick.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:16 am

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:48 am

I think this will work out fine. The free market will regulate itself like it does in all other areas. All the doomsday scenarios that have always been put forth in the past any time there has been any change in college sports have never come close to playing out. People said the same things before teams started having shoe companies as sponsors, coaches started making higher salaries, the BCS was formed, the playoff was formed, conference realignment happened, when they were going to sell alcohol in the stadium, etc etc. Basically every single change has been preceded by sky falling predictions on why it shouldn't occur prior to it occurring.

Re how it'll play in the locker room, Jay Bilas made some good points on this. He said sports is the ultimate meritocracy, and just like the starting QB and star players get more playing time, so it will be with any money made from NIL. What anyone gets isn't "unfair" relative to what anyone gets. You will make what your market value is.

Last thought...there's been a lot of ongoing discussion re our weekday night games, usually negative. Now maybe those won't be seen in such a negative light if we capitalize on them. A player looking to build a brand and profit from NIL may look kindly on being the only game on for a national TV audience 3-4 times per year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am

canes_mj wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:48 am
I think this will work out fine. The free market will regulate itself like it does in all other areas. All the doomsday scenarios that have always been put forth in the past any time there has been any change in college sports have never come close to playing out. People said the same things before teams started having shoe companies as sponsors, coaches started making higher salaries, the BCS was formed, the playoff was formed, conference realignment happened, when they were going to sell alcohol in the stadium, etc etc. Basically every single change has been preceded by sky falling predictions on why it shouldn't occur prior to it occurring.

Re how it'll play in the locker room, Jay Bilas made some good points on this. He said sports is the ultimate meritocracy, and just like the starting QB and star players get more playing time, so it will be with any money made from NIL. What anyone gets isn't "unfair" relative to what anyone gets. You will make what your market value is.

Last thought...there's been a lot of ongoing discussion re our weekday night games, usually negative. Now maybe those won't be seen in such a negative light if we capitalize on them. A player looking to build a brand and profit from NIL may look kindly on being the only game on for a national TV audience 3-4 times per year.
You are partially right. It is a meritocracy and those who earn the ability to make money off their NIL will do so but there is something everyone is forgetting. Crooks and scammers. You will see players who will get scammed out of this money they earn. You will also see players who believe they can get paid under table and avoid taxes. Just wait until a player leaves college in tax debt for trying to avoid it.

Anyone who says everything will be 100% great or 100% doomsday is not seeing the big picture. I believe some good comes from this but there will also be some bad. People who aren't involved in the business don't see it but it is coming. We always seem to forget about criminals but there will be new crimes coming from this because they basically said here this is okay without coming up with a plan to truly implement and manage it so players aren't scammed and they fully understand that now Uncle Sam will be coming for his cut!
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:50 am

Good for these young men. Go get paid.
YNWA

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 am

interesting...

NBC Sports
@NBCSports
Dabo Swinney says he may quit college football if players get paid http://bit.ly/2WeG29V .

just saw a radio station is going to choose 5 football players who will come on the air for 1 hour each week and make $25,000 for the year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 am
interesting...

NBC Sports
@NBCSports
Dabo Swinney says he may quit college football if players get paid http://bit.ly/2WeG29V .

just saw a radio station is going to choose 5 football players who will come on the air for 1 hour each week and make $25,000 for the year.
Kudos to them. That should be the future. Players can thus hold Twitter/IG press conferences and charge media outlets if they want them to come on theirs. Players need to build up their brand instead of just adding to the followers of some of these media outlets without payment.

Players should charge a fee but also have a contract where they get a cut of the revenue. It is time the media pony up for building up their clicks and revenue without compensating the players even more since now players have social media platforms.

With that said, I would expect Twitter, FB, IG, Twitch, etc to eventually charge a fee to celebrities and athletes for using their platforms to make money. Unless it is your website and you aren't dependent on people from the outside bringing you clicks then the doors are opening for those platforms to charge a yearly fee.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 pm

ECU does as well. I saw Darrynton basically call out App in a subtle way today. It was always my fear that App would be two steps behind in this regard, and sure enough….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”