$115 Million Wasted

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:07 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:51 pm
The legislature is moving the system headquarters to be more central for THEM.
Maybe it will help ECU get in the ACC.

HighlandsApp
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:07 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:51 pm
The legislature is moving the system headquarters to be more central for THEM.
Maybe it will help ECU get in the ACC.
It's all a power move....

Stonewall
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1753 times
Been thanked: 1506 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:48 pm

Yes, but the Zoo is in Asheboro, or Randolph County at least, just north of Climax , That opens up a myriad of opportunities.

User avatar
AppWyo
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:48 pm
Yes, but the Zoo is in Asheboro, or Randolph County at least, just north of Climax , That opens up a myriad of opportunities.
Actually, Climax is north northeast of Asheboro.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 836 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm

ECU will never be a member of the ACC....the only way that potentially happens is if ACV imploded like Big 12....and then the ACC is no longer the ACC so to speak
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

Stonewall
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1753 times
Been thanked: 1506 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:11 pm

Upon review , you are correct of course , the Zoo is south if I am not mistaken , which I could well be.

User avatar
8993
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:34 pm

To ease some minds here: I am very close with a few individuals who work at the UNC System Office and are frequently in those 'behind-closed-doors' meetings. I hear time and time again that Chancellor Everts is a favorite of the UNC System Board and North Carolina Legislators. She knows how to bargain and negotiate well and knows how to turn on the charm to advance Appalachian. The same cannot be said for many other Chancellors across the UNC System.

I know we all have our bones to pick with Sheri, but it sounds like we are in good hands with her at the helm. She's done a great deal of good for Appalachian, especially with university growth, so I tend to not even think twice of where the UNC System employees park for their 9-to-5 job.

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 8299
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 3295 times
Been thanked: 1651 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:39 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:48 pm
Yes, but the Zoo is in Asheboro, or Randolph County at least, just north of Climax , That opens up a myriad of opportunities.
Actually, Climax is north northeast of Asheboro.
Climax is just north of where the electric battery plant is being built. I think 95%+ will be in Randolph county but I think a very small bit of the land will be in Guilford County. The railroad that runs from Greensboro to Cumnock will be one of the borders to the property. The North Carolina RR does not own this track but it gave a ton of money to get this plant placed here. I assume they figured there would be more traffic on the NCRR that is the Norfolk Southern mainline from Charlotte to Greensboro and then the NCRR is the NC-line (former H-Line) from Greensboro to Raleigh. The NCRR is 100% owned by the state of NC. They are paid by Norfolk Southern for rights to use the NCRR tracks and that has been the case since the 1890s when the current Norfolk Southern was the Southern RR.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 am

8993 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:34 pm
To ease some minds here: I am very close with a few individuals who work at the UNC System Office and are frequently in those 'behind-closed-doors' meetings. I hear time and time again that Chancellor Everts is a favorite of the UNC System Board and North Carolina Legislators. She knows how to bargain and negotiate well and knows how to turn on the charm to advance Appalachian. The same cannot be said for many other Chancellors across the UNC System.

I know we all have our bones to pick with Sheri, but it sounds like we are in good hands with her at the helm. She's done a great deal of good for Appalachian, especially with university growth, so I tend to not even think twice of where the UNC System employees park for their 9-to-5 job.
Everts has masterfully guided the university, from increased enrollment to the incredible transformation of the West campus all in the middle of a chaotic pandemic period when peer universities have experienced decline.

BambooRdApp
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 836 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:53 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 am
8993 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:34 pm
To ease some minds here: I am very close with a few individuals who work at the UNC System Office and are frequently in those 'behind-closed-doors' meetings. I hear time and time again that Chancellor Everts is a favorite of the UNC System Board and North Carolina Legislators. She knows how to bargain and negotiate well and knows how to turn on the charm to advance Appalachian. The same cannot be said for many other Chancellors across the UNC System.

I know we all have our bones to pick with Sheri, but it sounds like we are in good hands with her at the helm. She's done a great deal of good for Appalachian, especially with university growth, so I tend to not even think twice of where the UNC System employees park for their 9-to-5 job.
Everts has masterfully guided the university, from increased enrollment to the incredible transformation of the West campus all in the middle of a chaotic pandemic period when peer universities have experienced decline.
Agree 100%. It can be tough to follow a previous chancellor that basically grew up at App. St.
Some cannot get over it..it seems. I was at a game a few years ago pre-NEZ, she was announced. Mostly cheers..but a few near us on both sides of my wife and I made commentary about she is no Peacock. I was an accounting major. As such, I was always a fan of Peacock. However, there is going to be change and some people do no like change.
Outside looking in and with a daughter currently enrolled at App. St , overall she appears to be doing a great job. Is everyone perfect, definitely not. I hope she continues as the chancellor for years to come.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!

mike87
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 632 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:39 pm

It's been my impression that she's not as well liked on the mountain as she is off. Which means she probably is doing her job.

Cro-Magnon App
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Western South Carolina
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 235 times

Re: $115 Million Wasted

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:18 pm

This is good stuff, here. Educational!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”