Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

PhillyApp1

Re: Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:25 am

Well, I think this topic has App fans upset.... right

So, saying "Coach Kerns knows the players are leaving and we are working on reorganizing for a great season next year" would make me feel better.

We don't even know if Coach is still our coach.

So...... give us "financial supporters" some info

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:25 am

So, saying "Coach Kerns knows the players are leaving and we are working on reorganizing for a great season next year" would make me feel better.

Get that. But how does a message like that play out if say Kerns resigned next week? I’m not saying that he will or would but he is current under contract so saying he is staying isn’t necessarily a good thing if the situation changes.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 am

As of now, there is only one coaching vacancy at Appalachian State. And it is not the men's basketball coach.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:

Get that. But how does a message like that play out if say Kerns resigned next week? I’m not saying that he will or would but he is current under contract so saying he is staying isn’t necessarily a good thing if the situation changes.
I get what you are saying.

You may know more than the rest of us.

This may be the " New **itty World" of college sports

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

I am actually as in the dark as most everyone else. I know that we made offers to Abson and Spiller and both were rejected. I don’t know what they were or why they were rejected but there are too many reasons as to why they would lend be anything but speculation. My honest opinion concerning Kerns is that he isn’t going anywhere for the sake of leaving. Circumstances can always change but it’s going to take the right fit. I’ve had a few interactions with him and always left unimpressed. After talking with folks that know him and observing him through lenses with knowledge of him as a person, I understand him a bit better. He likes it here and my understanding from talking to people much more connected than I is that efforts are being made on an extension and there is a desire to make it lucrative long term.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

I am actually as in the dark as most everyone else. I know that we made offers to Abson and Spiller and both were rejected. I don’t know what they were or why they were rejected but there are too many reasons as to why they would lend be anything but speculation. My honest opinion concerning Kerns is that he isn’t going anywhere for the sake of leaving. Circumstances can always change but it’s going to take the right fit. I’ve had a few interactions with him and always left unimpressed. After talking with folks that know him and observing him through lenses with knowledge of him as a person, I understand him a bit better. He likes it here and my understanding from talking to people much more connected than I is that efforts are being made on an extension and there is a desire to make it lucrative long term.
What yesterday has taught me is the importance of having a consistent leader at the top, and having someone who wants to be here. Of course they'll leave in time, but that needs to be minimized.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

What yesterday has taught me is the importance of having a consistent leader at the top, and having someone who wants to be here. Of course they'll leave in time, but that needs to be minimized.
Can you explain please? When you say a consistent leader, to whom are you referencing?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:35 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Can you explain please? When you say a consistent leader, to whom are you referencing?
A coach. Used to be when a coach left, you didn’t run the risk of losing an entire team. Now, you need the consistency in that spot so you don’t have to start from scratch. We can’t afford to start from scratch. In any sport.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:35 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

A coach. Used to be when a coach left, you didn’t run the risk of losing an entire team. Now, you need the consistency in that spot so you don’t have to start from scratch. We can’t afford to start from scratch. In any sport.
Like a former player. Someone invested in the program

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Like a former player. Someone invested in the program
Yep.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 pm

AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

I understand your point. A couple of things though as it relates to the leadership at App. First off, Kerns hasn’t left nor do I believe that’s being entertained as an option so that appears to be a moot point at this time. Secondly, these departures are the new norm with what amounts to free agency. In the past, a players only incentive to leave that wasn’t academics related was playing time. Nowadays, all it takes is some money since it’s legal. Kids in the normal student population transfer all the time due to personal reasons. Why aren’t student/athletes afforded the same consideration? They are no different from you and I in that they have family, personal obligations and struggles that make the current situation difficult. Let’s see how it all plays out before we start pointing fingers.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I understand your point. A couple of things though as it relates to the leadership at App. First off, Kerns hasn’t left nor do I believe that’s being entertained as an option so that appears to be a moot point at this time. Secondly, these departures are the new norm with what amounts to free agency. In the past, a players only incentive to leave that wasn’t academics related was playing time. Nowadays, all it takes is some money since it’s legal. Kids in the normal student population transfer all the time due to personal reasons. Why aren’t student/athletes afforded the same consideration? They are no different from you and I in that they have family, personal obligations and struggles that make the current situation difficult. Let’s see how it all plays out before we start pointing fingers.
Agreed. And I count Kerns as one who will stay until the right offer comes.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:24 pm

We need an AD that is focused on the entire athletics department, not just football. Kerns should have been given the support he deserved. In what looks like the new landscape, basketball, not football is the path forward.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:39 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:24 pm
We need an AD that is focused on the entire athletics department, not just football. Kerns should have been given the support he deserved. In what looks like the new landscape, basketball, not football is the path forward.
I believe we can be a football, basketball, and baseball school for sure. I do think we need to be more focused on basketball than we have been. Football has an organic interest. They need to increase the interest in basketball.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind about players leaving for personal reasons is that unlike normal students these players are being given a completely free education with things like a training table, etc provided to them. I know we have some who are leaving for personals reasons but when schools tamper and make money offers maybe we should have a buyout that is paid. If not for money I believe Abson and Spillers would stay unless Kerns were to leave. I don't think theirs are personal reasons.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 pm

Good luck proving the tampering. Yes they get free education but that isn’t going to make life easier in all cases. Xaxion Brown is from California. He literally has no one from his family attend his games. He probably hasn’t seen his family since June. I don’t care what kind of scholarship and perks you get, that is hard on anyone. And don’t automatically dismiss money has not being a personal reason. Some of these kids have next to nothing in terms of financial support and that money would help their families

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 pm
Good luck proving the tampering. Yes they get free education but that isn’t going to make life easier in all cases. Xaxion Brown is from California. He literally has no one from his family attend his games. He probably hasn’t seen his family since June. I don’t care what kind of scholarship and perks you get, that is hard on anyone. And don’t automatically dismiss money has not being a personal reason. Some of these kids have next to nothing in terms of financial support and that money would help their families
You would need the player to turn someone in. On Brown I was surprised he did not go somewhere out there. That is one reason I think recruiting regionally is in our best interest so a player's family can come see them unless they come from a lot of money where travel is not a big deal.

That can definitely be the case with players helping their families. I have heard cases where coaches are frustrated with a player because they send their food stipend back home to help their mom and they don't gain weight like the staff needs for them.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:51 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Truth. In many instances what little they have is sent back home.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
You would need the player to turn someone in. On Brown I was surprised he did not go somewhere out there. That is one reason I think recruiting regionally is in our best interest so a player's family can come see them unless they come from a lot of money where travel is not a big deal.

That can definitely be the case with players helping their families. I have heard cases where coaches are frustrated with a player because they send their food stipend back home to help their mom and they don't gain weight like the staff needs for them.
Again , true. We do what we can within the rules and our means , to help. But it’s a drop in the bucket.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

Again , true. We do what we can within the rules and our means , to help. But it’s a drop in the bucket.
Do you really want people on your team that can be bought?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”