Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Where did I say anything of the sort ?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am

I’d say that with Kerns offering juco’s recently, he is staying for now. If he was already out the door, seems he wouldn’t waste his time with that. Glad it’s been a few days and we still have Tate, Harcum, and X. That would be appealing to have an opportunity to start immediately as a big and have 3 veteran guards already on the roster.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am
I’d say that with Kerns offering juco’s recently, he is staying for now. If he was already out the door, seems he wouldn’t waste his time with that. Glad it’s been a few days and we still have Tate, Harcum, and X. That would be appealing to have an opportunity to start immediately as a big and have 3 veteran guards already on the roster.
I am not suggesting that he is likely to leave but until you sign a contract with your new employer and tell your current one that you are leaving it is smart to go about business as usual. I have heard cases where a coach was on the road recruiting and gets a call from agent that they have agreed to terms and just needs to sign a contract so they inform the recruit that they have just switched schools and want to recruit them there. Kerns would be crazy to stop recruiting for App and a deal fall through that puts him behind. Deals fall through all the time in this business.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am

If Elijah Strong enters the portal, we should go after him hard. Got 7 minutes a game at BC as a freshman. We were recruiting him originally from MP.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:19 am
I am not suggesting that he is likely to leave but until you sign a contract with your new employer and tell your current one that you are leaving it is smart to go about business as usual. I have heard cases where a coach was on the road recruiting and gets a call from agent that they have agreed to terms and just needs to sign a contract so they inform the recruit that they have just switched schools and want to recruit them there. Kerns would be crazy to stop recruiting for App and a deal fall through that puts him behind. Deals fall through all the time in this business.
Still, it’s better sign than him doing nothing.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:44 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
All that's true, but it doesn't jibe with the theory that all these guys are hitting the portal because they know Kerns is leaving. If App players were transferring because they knew Kerns was leaving, then he also knows he is leaving, so why would he continue recruiting for a team/school that he knows he isn't going to coach next year?
To me, it's pointing towards those guys just wanting to see where else they can play. They want to play at a big school and might have the opportunity. I don't think it has anything to do with Kerns leaving.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:45 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:44 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
All that's true, but it doesn't jibe with the theory that all these guys are hitting the portal because they know Kerns is leaving. If App players were transferring because they knew Kerns was leaving, then he also knows he is leaving, so why would he continue recruiting for a team/school that he knows he isn't going to coach next year?
To me, it's pointing towards those guys just wanting to see where else they can play. They want to play at a big school and might have the opportunity. I don't think it has anything to do with Kerns leaving.
You got some real good smarts

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:44 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
I was just saying that in general that some coaches approach it like that and maybe he is. I heard Abson and Spillers have been offered money but I would not be surprised if he was honest with players about interest and the others just want to see what is out there since Kerns is doing the same thing.

I hope Kerns stays and we know for sure either way in the next week or so. There are some mid-majors out there who can offer him more than 1M so the question for us if we can offer close enough to keep him or not and if he wants to stay or not. I will say that the ripple effect of job news being public can sometimes take days or a couple weeks. Kerns could have known of some things last week that we don't see publicly until now or in a couple days from now.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadioNeer98

Unread post by RadioNeer98 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:59 am

Charleston job is now open. at least 1 mill a year salary. Big sport on campus. Back in SC. Keeps a tighter pulse on the Clemson job for one day. Lets be real his phone will ring about this job.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 pm

RadioNeer98 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:59 am
Charleston job is now open. at least 1 mill a year salary. Big sport on campus. Back in SC. Keeps a tighter pulse on the Clemson job for one day. Lets be real his phone will ring about this job.
Very true. I would hope that we have made at least a 800k or 900k offer to Kerns though.

RadioNeer98

Unread post by RadioNeer98 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 pm
RadioNeer98 wrote:
Very true. I would hope that we have made at least a 800k or 900k offer to Kerns though.
I REALLY REALLY hope this is the case but I have my worries that athletics will not open the pocketbook to that level for basketball. I hope and pray I am wrong about this and we give him a raise to 800 or 900 K a year. Just don't see it happening here.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 pm

RadioNeer98 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:
I REALLY REALLY hope this is the case but I have my worries that athletics will not open the pocketbook to that level for basketball. I hope and pray I am wrong about this and we give him a raise to 800 or 900 K a year. Just don't see it happening here.
If Gillin believes that Kerns can bring a title next year then he absolutely should do it. It would be cheaper and quicker than if we let him go and make the wrong hire. I hope fans are calling Doug to make a huge commitment to basketball. I think our fans showed this year we have interest and want to but we have to put a good product on the court. I don't think any of us want to fall back to the Jason Capel years. I want to be a yearly contender and the only way to do that is to commit resources to the sport. Even if it takes us dropping some sports to the D1 minimum to do so I am fine with it.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 pm

RadioNeer98 wrote:
seems like I remember hearing that Kerns talked to them a couple years ago before Kelsey landed the job.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:37 pm

Hope App steps up on Kerns. His teams have improved every year. We also need to keep the momentum going. It would be great to have balance in athletics - we are known for football - we need to be better balanced - especially in basketball and baseball. With what we are paying Kerns - it is a miracle he is still at App. If we want to compete with the top teams - we need to be competitive on the salaries.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 pm

app97 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 pm
RadioNeer98 wrote:
seems like I remember hearing that Kerns talked to them a couple years ago before Kelsey landed the job.
Excluding the compensation.. Personally believe sun Belt basketball was better than CAA. I watch some CAA bball as UNCW was my undergrad alma mater. Since in DC, want to CAA tournament for a game or two. Sun Belt better IMO
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

RadioNeer98

Unread post by RadioNeer98 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:41 pm

Yosef1986 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:37 pm
Hope App steps up on Kerns. His teams have improved every year. We also need to keep the momentum going. It would be great to have balance in athletics - we are known for football - we need to be better balanced - especially in basketball and baseball. With what we are paying Kerns - it is a miracle he is still at App. If we want to compete with the top teams - we need to be competitive on the salaries.
That is exactly what worries me. We are not paying the man what he is worth. I cant say I blame him if he looks elsewhere to better himself for him and his family. I do also agree we would be better off paying the man while he is here than overpaying the replacement only for us to fall back to mid to bottom tier of the SBC. KEEPING GOOD COACHES COST $. The ball will be in DGs court question is does he shoot the shot?

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 pm
RadioNeer98 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:
If Gillin believes that Kerns can bring a title next year then he absolutely should do it. It would be cheaper and quicker than if we let him go and make the wrong hire. I hope fans are calling Doug to make a huge commitment to basketball. I think our fans showed this year we have interest and want to but we have to put a good product on the court. I don't think any of us want to fall back to the Jason Capel years. I want to be a yearly contender and the only way to do that is to commit resources to the sport. Even if it takes us dropping some sports to the D1 minimum to do so I am fine with it.

Is it just me ?

I feel like I am being ransomed by college sports?

I am almost to the point of saying F U to the entertainers that are handcuffing me into thinking I should pay for my loyalty to App, to the athletes, to the system.

The breaking point is coming.... the schools make millions, the advertisers make millions, and now the athletes want $100,000's...

I am vowing to never watch or follow the SEC for doing this to college sports !!!

F the SEC and all their schools.

I feel better now 😃

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:

Is it just me ?

I am almost to the point of saying F U to the entertainers that are handcuffing me into thinking I should pay for my loyalty to App, to the athletes, to the system.

The breaking point is coming.... the schools make millions, the advertisers make millions, and now the athletes want $100,000's...

I am vowing to never watch or follow the SEC for doing this to college sports !!!

I feel better now 😃
I hear you there!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:03 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
RadioNeer98 wrote:

Is it just me ?

I feel better now 😃
While the SEC certainly has leveraged it's power to achieve greater access and payouts for their teams, we must not forget that the NIL originated in state legislatures and were signed into law by govenors. The first state to sign a NIL bill was California which is hardly a SEC state. Now, Florida did follow with it's own NIL rule that was implemented sooner than California but that was more in reaction to California than trying to be front runners. Living in Florida, I can say that it is doubtful the SEC had a real strong push in the legislature as Tallahassee is a Seminole town and the legislature is pretty evenly split. I am certain that all major brands in the State were pushing the legislature not to fall behind California.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 pm

Kerns continuing to recruit doesn’t necessarily mean he’s staying on the mountain.

As a coach, Kerns’ primary objective is landing recruits who are a good fit for his system. He has to lock in the best talent now, regardless of where he’ll be coaching.

If the kids buy in, it’s likely they’ll be playing for him if he stays at App, heads to Charleston or goes somewhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”