Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:07 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am
It seems to me college basketball has turned into a "pick up" game. We got our 5-8 players let's "run em" and we will re choose next year. I could see the fab four situation start showing up where a group get together and as a group sign NIL deals.
That's exactly what I was thinking too, "pick up" game rules. I hate what the system has devolved into but this is what it is. Hopefully you get some that want to play for App and you build/adjust around them. However, just like the one and done required adjustments from top tier programs, all of college basketball has to adjust to this system. Every year requires building a new team.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 am

"Several years ago, Coach K developed the “one & done” recruiting mode to get the best talent. Perhaps in order to get the best talent we’re moving into a “one or two & done” recruiting mode."

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever - it wasn't Coach K who developed the one and done - He hated it, he tried to work with the NBA and parties to be to do something about it - I think it was Calipari who totally took that route - Finally Coach K knew he had to change his philosophy to keep competing at the highest level
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:50 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 am
"Several years ago, Coach K developed the “one & done” recruiting mode to get the best talent. Perhaps in order to get the best talent we’re moving into a “one or two & done” recruiting mode."

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever - it wasn't Coach K who developed the one and done - He hated it, he tried to work with the NBA and parties to be to do something about it - I think it was Calipari who totally took that route - Finally Coach K knew he had to change his philosophy to keep competing at the highest level
Kind of like folks philosophy on NIL.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:58 am

SUN BELT PORTAL NUMBERS SO FAR:

App State: 5 players (2 starters): 31% of scoring

Arkansas State: 4 players (0 starters): 4.3% of scoring (still TBD since their season just ended last night)

Coastal Carolina: 5 players (3 starters): 52.1% of scoring

Georgia Southern: 4 players (1 starter): 28.7% of scoring

Georgia State: 5 players (2 starters): 51.7% of scoring

James Madison: 3 players (2 starters): 36.1% of scoring

Louisiana: 2 players (2 starters): 28.9% of scoring

Louisiana-Monroe: 0 players (0 starters): 0% of scoring

Marshall: 4 players (0 starters): 12.2% of scoring

Old Dominion: 6 players (3 starters): 60.2% of scoring

South Alabama: 0 players (0 starters): 0% of scoring

Southern Miss: 0 players (0 starters): 0% of scoring

Texas State: 5 players (3 starters): 52.6% of scoring

Troy: 1 player (0 starters): 1.6% of scoring

AVERAGES: 3.1 players (1.3 starters): 25.7% of scoring

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:08 am

That's pretty painful to see, especially considering it doesn't show scoring lost due to graduation or other metrics (like blocks / rebounding).

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 am

So as a followup question for discussion (that may create a firestorm)...
In the new environment, how much emphasis should be placed on high school recruiting???

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 am
In the new environment, how much emphasis should be placed on high school recruiting???
In mid-major basketball, less and less each year in this era. Surprised at the freshman leaving giving the upperclassmen entering the portal.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
I think while everyone is so focused on the portal that there are going to be under the radar JUCO and HS players available that would normally go to a power program. I could see this become a thing where some studs go mid-major for 1-2 years and then go to a power program via the portal.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:29 pm

So basically schools like App will be the college basketball version of Triple A baseball.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:31 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:29 pm
So basically schools like App will be the college basketball version of Triple A baseball.
Maybe AA ball.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:31 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:31 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:29 pm
Maybe AA ball.
I was about to reply and say AA or AAA yes. lol

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
I've been saying this for years . . . at what point do consumers just want to watch the highest level of paid sports. How popular is AAA Baseball, the G League, the CFL/XFL, any step down from the top. This could eventually become college sports, a distant 2nd to all the top levels.

I will enjoy watching all these greedy SEC/Big 10 teams spend all this money only to loose and have half empty stadiums.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
I think we should certainly avoid any high school kids that need developing but perhaps there is still a place for recruits that have the ability to play as freshman. We can't develop a kid on scholarship for a year or two just to watch him leave before he ever really contributes. That is a net loss game for us. I think coach has the right idea about recruiting JUCO kids. They seem to be overlooked in the portal era (much like in football) and we scored big with Spillers last years so no reason it can't be repeated. I would really lay off high school recruits in basketball. I am not quit there yet in football because currently our culture seems to retain most of our players.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
I think we should certainly avoid any high school kids that need developing but perhaps there is still a place for recruits that have the ability to play as freshman. We can't develop a kid on scholarship for a year or two just to watch him leave before he ever really contributes. That is a net loss game for us. I think coach has the right idea about recruiting JUCO kids. They seem to be overlooked in the portal era (much like in football) and we scored big with Spillers last years so no reason it can't be repeated. I would really lay off high school recruits in basketball. I am not quit there yet in football because currently our culture seems to retain most of our players.
On the playground in a "pick up" game nobody wants the kid picking his nose needing development. You need the kid that can produce immediately. That may become the norm for us. No redshirting and all development talent will go to JUCO's or D2/3 first.

One solution is to have multiple types of scholarships, the one year scholarship with little to no strings or the multiple year option that locks the student in for longer and they cannot leave while "under contract". Then the negotiation goes both ways with shared risk/reward for both parties.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
I've been saying this for years . . . at what point do consumers just want to watch the highest level of paid sports. How popular is AAA Baseball, the G League, the CFL/XFL, any step down from the top. This could eventually become college sports, a distant 2nd to all the top levels.

I will enjoy watching all these greedy SEC/Big 10 teams spend all this money only to loose and have half empty stadiums.
Especially if they remove the connection between students and athletes.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm

I think you'll see stadium continue the trend to a larger percentage of seats as premium vs. general as the higher donors will still go to games and willing to pay.

The college sports experience will change dramatically over the next generation.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:55 pm

When did a 4 yr scholarship become worthless? I thought that was the value ("compensation") that the student athlete received for participating in sports? 99+ percent of college athletes never make it to professional level so the MAIN reason a student plays is for the free education. That would currently be worth $20k to $250k in today's world. Not insignificant.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:59 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:55 pm
When did a 4 yr scholarship become worthless? I thought that was the value ("compensation") that the student athlete received for participating in sports? 99+ percent of college athletes never make it to professional level so the MAIN reason a student plays is for the free education. That would currently be worth $20k to $250k in today's world. Not insignificant.
It is actually a one year annually renewable scholly I believe....if you can get the scholly and get $50K to. 100K a year in addition.. better than just a scholly alone
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:13 pm

I've used this number before in a question. If you take 130 schools (approximately the number of FBS) times 85 scholarships that's roughly 11,050 FBS level players. On average how many of them are receiving any NIL money? Of those receiving $ how many are getting over $50k per year? I've got to believe that the numbers for each are low. Now of that 11k how many who aren't getting any NIL THINK they should or will get something if they transfer? I'm thinking that's a fairly big number. One step further- of the players who enter the portal how many upgrade their current situation- so to speak?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:25 pm

It's not really about "the all" IMO
Take App. St. for example, it is about potentially losing Abson and Spillers as examples, they may get paid and it impacts App. St.
$50k is hypothetical example. Some on this board mY have changed jobs for 10k more at some point in their career.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”