Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am

app97 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:29 am
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am
The Portal taketh away and the portal giveth… BIG MAN INCOMING !
quick glance at a few highlights. Same size as Abson, but he can also shoot from deep.
Numbers definitely improved with more playing time. Love that he can shoot the 3 like Huntley, although he only made 15 3's.
Good add, still have 2 scholarships left I believe.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 pm
Mantis to Maine.
Abson to Georgia. Good for him. I'm sure they gave him some coin.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 am

One more on campus today. The new big guy can move.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:20 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am
Stonewall wrote:
Mantis to Maine.
He won't be alone either. I was accepted into a graduate program at UGA on Monday. Maybe we can be friends!
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the deciding factor for Abson.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 am
One more on campus today. The new big guy can move.
Love it! Glad to see we got him!
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 am

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:20 am
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Mantis to Maine.
He won't be alone either. I was accepted into a graduate program at UGA on Monday. Maybe we can be friends!
Wear App. St. proud in Athens.
Congratulations
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

MrCraig wrote:
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Mantis to Maine.
One of the very very few college towns that can have an argument for being better than Boone. Enjoy the Classic City, my brother attended there and I had a blast visiting all the time.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:57 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm
MrCraig wrote:
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Mantis to Maine.
One of the very very few college towns that can have an argument for being better than Boone. Enjoy the Classic City, my brother attended there and I had a blast visiting all the time.
I shall pass on the heat though.

Guess since I'm still doing online grad school at App I have ran everyone off.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm

As posted earlier....

TRANSFER COMMIT:

https://247sports.com/player/jalil-beaubrun-46077124/

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 am
As this was likely addressed to me in the routine passive aggressive fashion, I will opine. My assessment of Mantis’ abilities are my own and shared with the guy that sits next to me at games. Haven’t spoken to any coaches about Mantis.

My comments on Marsh were based on a conversation with Kerns in which there was no “leak of information”. I asked why Marsh didn’t seem to play much in the second half against Wake after seemingly being the catalyst for the first half comeback. Kerns comments were very coach speak esque and did not disparage the kid’s character or abilities. He simply spoke facts and said you have to put the guys on the floor that you can trust. Marsh took more shots per minute than anyone on the team which is true. He took ill advised shots and shots outside of the game plan. Again, also true. This didn’t sit well with the more veteran teammates, which would be understandable.

All of this came from an interaction in a public setting and none of it was asked to be kept confidential and nothing he said couldn’t be gleaned from a stat sheet or watching a game.
But, the flip side of this is was Marsh absolutely set in his ways, or could he be coached into the role with more playing time (we'll have to trust Kerns assessment on this). I'd take Marsh on the court vs. Mantis any day, because he competed, played defense and he had the ability to make things happen and take over a game. Marsh played an important role in the Auburn win and he is the reason we won the Louisiana game, as the offense was stagnant for most of the game until he took over.

Personally, despite the occasional run of turnovers and number of shots, I think we would have been a better team this year if Marsh would have received Mantis minutes in the second half of games. There was always more downside, than upside when Mantis was on the floor and Marsh played better when he had consistent minutes.

If Marsh was coachable, I would have loved to see him make a full four-year run in Boone. It won't happen, but the potential was there.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
As this was likely addressed to me in the routine passive aggressive fashion, I will opine. My assessment of Mantis’ abilities are my own and shared with the guy that sits next to me at games. Haven’t spoken to any coaches about Mantis.

My comments on Marsh were based on a conversation with Kerns in which there was no “leak of information”. I asked why Marsh didn’t seem to play much in the second half against Wake after seemingly being the catalyst for the first half comeback. Kerns comments were very coach speak esque and did not disparage the kid’s character or abilities. He simply spoke facts and said you have to put the guys on the floor that you can trust. Marsh took more shots per minute than anyone on the team which is true. He took ill advised shots and shots outside of the game plan. Again, also true. This didn’t sit well with the more veteran teammates, which would be understandable.

All of this came from an interaction in a public setting and none of it was asked to be kept confidential and nothing he said couldn’t be gleaned from a stat sheet or watching a game.
But, the flip side of this is was Marsh absolutely set in his ways, or could he be coached into the role with more playing time (we'll have to trust Kerns assessment on this). I'd take Marsh on the court vs. Mantis any day, because he competed, played defense and he had the ability to make things happen and take over a game. Marsh played an important role in the Auburn win and he is the reason we won the Louisiana game, as the offense was stagnant for most of the game until he took over.

Personally, despite the occasional run of turnovers and number of shots, I think we would have been a better team this year if Marsh would have received Mantis minutes in the second half of games. There was always more downside, than upside when Mantis was on the floor and Marsh played better when he had consistent minutes.

If Marsh was coachable, I would have loved to see him make a full four-year run in Boone. It won't happen, but the potential was there.
All fair. I don’t get the feeling that he was coachable. (My assessment, not told that specifically). Suffice it to say, Marsh played his way to the bench. It just to show that we as fans are quick to question and criticize moves during the game, but we don’t know what is going on in terms of what the coach wants and what the players are giving.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Wish Marsh could give his input but we only hear the coaches side of things. A ton of our guys took horrible shots, not just Marsh. Anyone that watched the games/played beyond middle school could tell Marsh was better player than X (D2) Mantis and sometimes Tate/Harcum. It’s unfortunate that coach and him couldn’t work it out. He will be fine at Asheville with free reign. He gave his all for us with effort and hustle so that’s good that Kerns didn’t question any of that or his character. Hopefully we’ve filled our X factor get us back in the game roll that is void with his departure.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 pm

I see one common factor in all the transfers: the coaches. Many of you have waxed on about NIL and whatnot, but in the end, relationships are very important and in some cases more important than money

It was pointed out very early how together this team was. Could it be that they were together against the staff, with winning filling in the cracks?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 pm
I see one common factor in all the transfers: the coaches. Many of you have waxed on about NIL and whatnot, but in the end, relationships are very important and in some cases more important than money

It was pointed out very early how together this team was. Could it be that they were together against the staff, with winning filling in the cracks?
I really don't think that's the case. If that were true, I think those of us that watched most, if not all, the games would've seen some signs. You can't spend that much time together and play that many games with tensions bubbling under the surface and not see them exposed at some point.

I think the more likely explanation is one posited by others previously. At the end of the season, Kerns et al met with the players and explained the plan for next year. A lot of guys saw what their role would be and decided to see if they could find a place that fit what they wanted as opposed to what Kerns wanted. Abson and Spillers got P5 offers that will certainly include NIL money. X. Brown, Mantis, and Marsh found places where they would be bigger fish in smaller ponds, get more playing time, etc.

If all these guys were leaving because they just didn't like Kerns, we would've seen at least one social media post from someone hinting at that. I haven't seen any.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 am

Where Marsh was concerned, the "bad thing" was also the "good thing."

It was bad because Marsh tended to be a ball hog and didn't adhere to DK's game plans, both of which irritate coaches and teammates. But it was good because he showed the opponent a look they weren't expecting, which led to scoring and frequently gave the team a spark off the bench.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Wish Marsh could give his input but we only hear the coaches side of things. A ton of our guys took horrible shots, not just Marsh. Anyone that watched the games/played beyond middle school could tell Marsh was better player than X (D2) Mantis and sometimes Tate/Harcum. It’s unfortunate that coach and him couldn’t work it out. He will be fine at Asheville with free reign. He gave his all for us with effort and hustle so that’s good that Kerns didn’t question any of that or his character. Hopefully we’ve filled our X factor get us back in the game roll that is void with his departure.
Fair to want to hear both sides. In the end though, the coach is in charge and has to do what he/she feels is in the best interest of the team in both the short term and long term. And honestly we don’t know what type of development and coaching is required for each guy. The coach has to play the guys that he can trust to run a play.

Different but same, but when I was in school we played pickup games in the Quinn. There was this one guy that no one liked playing with because everyone knew that if he got the ball, he was going to shoot it no matter what. Never saw the guy pass it out from down low.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 am

AppSt94 wrote:

No, my comment is for everyone inclusive of you. Some on here feel it is taboo to discuss players strengths and weaknesses, and with the adoption of the NIL across college athletics that stigma is wearing off on everyone it seems.

I'm very comfortable addressing you directly, I've been described as having traditional aggressive aggressive behavior. :lol:

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am
T-Dog wrote:

I really don't think that's the case. If that were true, I think those of us that watched most, if not all, the games would've seen some signs. You can't spend that much time together and play that many games with tensions bubbling under the surface and not see them exposed at some point.

I think the more likely explanation is one posited by others previously. At the end of the season, Kerns et al met with the players and explained the plan for next year. A lot of guys saw what their role would be and decided to see if they could find a place that fit what they wanted as opposed to what Kerns wanted. Abson and Spillers got P5 offers that will certainly include NIL money. X. Brown, Mantis, and Marsh found places where they would be bigger fish in smaller ponds, get more playing time, etc.

If all these guys were leaving because they just didn't like Kerns, we would've seen at least one social media post from someone hinting at that. I haven't seen any.
That suggests Kerns was going to forgo an approach that led to 27 wins. I have hard time believing that he informed some of our starters/all conference players that they weren't going to figure into what was in store for next year. I'm sure each player had a reason to leave but I don't believe it was because Kerns told them next year would be drastically different than what he has done in the past. My guess (and clearly only that) is that some players sought a higher level/perhaps a better pay day and that started others looking around sizing up what next year would look like with some of the top pieces departing. I don't rule out Kerns suggesting to some to look for places that would more suit their style or give them a better chance to play (Marsh, Mantis come to mind). I suppose will never really know what motivated each of the departees.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 am

hapapp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am
T-Dog wrote:

That suggests Kerns was going to forgo an approach that led to 27 wins. I have hard time believing that he informed some of our starters/all conference players that they weren't going to figure into what was in store for next year. I'm sure each player had a reason to leave but I don't believe it was because Kerns told them next year would be drastically different than what he has done in the past. My guess (and clearly only that) is that some players sought a higher level/perhaps a better pay day and that started others looking around sizing up what next year would look like with some of the top pieces departing. I don't rule out Kerns suggesting to some to look for places that would more suit their style or give them a better chance to play (Marsh, Mantis come to mind). I suppose will never really know what motivated each of the departees.
I'm not suggesting Kerns was going to do anything different at all next year, which might have been the problem. If you're Marsh, Brown, etc. and coach tells you that you're still probably going to be a bench piece, you might want to go somewhere else where you can do more. I'm saying almost exactly what you said in the second half of your paragraph.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 am

It is most likely a setting of expectations of roles and not playing time in particular as the guys that tend to play more are the players that play within their roles. The coach may want a kid to operate in the system one way and the kid may want to play a different way.

I was talking with Coach Sharp and the topic of players came up. Everyone wants to play for Nick Saban and Dawn Staley until they get there and fully grasp what it means to play for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”