Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:51 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm
Simple question to the group. If you or your child were in a similar situation would you advise them to stay or go? And when I say situation, take out your love for App and think about in terms of your kid, who doesn’t have that same love or devotion. I’m not saying that these are sound decisions, I’m just pointing out that we don’t know the personal motivations and without that information, are we in a position judge?
If my kid had a chance at a truly big pay day, it would be really hard not to advise him/her to take it. That said, I don't think the pay day issue is quite as big as some represent it. I know it's real but some of the guys leaving App, I just don't see getting that big pay. It's hard for me to understand a backup player with a shot at starting leaving for another school, unless there are other issues.

I can't really blame the kids, but it's just a hard thing to watch.
That’s fair. I guess it would depend on one’s definition of huge. 20k, even 10k is a lot to some people.

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 2044
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 1274 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am

After watching a number of the NCAA tournament games in the last two weeks I want to say, there are a lot of very good players out there at other schools. A lot are better than what we had this year. I really liked our team so this is not a knock on them but more of a reality check. These guys want to leave and that is who they will be competing against.

Questions:
1. How many players from our team will REALLY get into the pros, US, Europe, etc.? Few if any.
2. Did they go to college to get a degree? If so, will they eventually graduate or not? If not and they don't go pro what job prospects will they have?
3. If they get some NIL it will be a small amount in their lifetime earnings. I don't blame a kid for making $50k or more for a few years. But what is after that?

All of these should be seriously considered during their decision process. I hope they have some good advice from a trusted person in their sphere.

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 12253
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 4602 times
Been thanked: 2518 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 am

"Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program."

I think the answer will come with whether or not some good players commit because I would think the player and his parents/advisors will question why the entire team entered the portal -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84
Posts: 3741
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 1264 times
Been thanked: 2094 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:28 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 am
"Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program."

I think the answer will come with whether or not some good players commit because I would think the player and his parents/advisors will question why the entire team entered the portal -
I'm not sure that it raises that big a question. I'm sure the question will be asked, but in today's climate, when a team like App has a banner year, players take advantage of the launching pad. There might or might not be more to it than that.

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:32 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 am
"Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program."

I think the answer will come with whether or not some good players commit because I would think the player and his parents/advisors will question why the entire team entered the portal -
I’m not sure that would be the litmus test that you suggest. I would expect that to be asked of some parents/handlers to which I would defer to the fact that the Athletic Department didn’t find such cause to terminate the contract of the coach as I would suspect Gillin to do if there were an issue. The quality of player is much more likely to be affected by NIL offers. It sucks that it that way, but we made offers to both Spillers and Abson and both turns them down. I’ve heard of offers to guys like Marsh with dollar figures but nothing that I can substantiate.

AppStFan1
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 1364 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.

311neers
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1287 times
Been thanked: 923 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:40 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
Strothers to Hampton U.

Marsh should have gotten some of Mantis and Brown minutes all year. A 7 man rotation with a splash of Brown and Mantis.

User avatar
appdaze
Posts: 4313
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:08 pm
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 1433 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am
After watching a number of the NCAA tournament games in the last two weeks I want to say, there are a lot of very good players out there at other schools. A lot are better than what we had this year. I really liked our team so this is not a knock on them but more of a reality check. These guys want to leave and that is who they will be competing against.

Questions:
1. How many players from our team will REALLY get into the pros, US, Europe, etc.? Few if any.
2. Did they go to college to get a degree? If so, will they eventually graduate or not? If not and they don't go pro what job prospects will they have?
3. If they get some NIL it will be a small amount in their lifetime earnings. I don't blame a kid for making $50k or more for a few years. But what is after that?

All of these should be seriously considered during their decision process. I hope they have some good advice from a trusted person in their sphere.
1. If you can get double digits in D1 basketball then you can play in some of the professional international leagues. It all comes down to your desire to leave everything behind and play for mediocre money with a small possibility of getting a nice check if you really pan out.

2. Playing college ball opens up job prospects alone. Go work for one of the many clinics and "labs" popping up. They may transfer their credits somewhere closer to home and finish a degree if the pros don't pan out. They may be able to work out something and finish online. Point being, they will have job prospects if they understand what to do. That last part is something our coaches should work with them on.

3. That is all about perspective. 5k is a lot to some people. When you don't come from much, that short-term money is almost impossible to ignore. If that kid didn't have the gift of hoops would they be in college to get to make that decision? I see a lot about the money on here from people who are most likely not hurting for money and don't really understand, or have forgotten, what its like to not have money and how that changes the mindset. Family pressures, life pressures, and personal pressures from poverty issues add up, and people will jump at anything they think will ease those pressures.

AppStFan1
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 1364 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:52 am

311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:40 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
Strothers to Hampton U.

Marsh should have gotten some of Mantis and Brown minutes all year. A 7 man rotation with a splash of Brown and Mantis.
I did not see that. Never saw Strothers play but maybe he was told to enter the portal to get some playing time. I am interested to see if Kerns mostly goes to JUCO for the open slots or a combo of JUCO and portal. Could there be some stud high school players who have been overlooked that we could get as well?

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
My understanding is that he lost both his father and grandfather since being here. That could certainly alter one’s mindset.

AppStFan1
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 1364 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am
The only communication that I would expect is if there is an extension to his contract. He still has two years left so it isn’t necessarily going to be done. While it might provide stability, I don’t necessarily believe that it will be a factor in some guys taking their names out of the portal. It could happen regardless.

There is a lot of unknowns driving some anxiousness and rumors. Let’s focus on what we do know. We will have a coach next season and we will have a roster full of guys that can play. No we will not have the same team as last year but we all knew that before last week. Gregory and Huntley were gone regardless and chemistry matters. Turnover is the nature of the beast.
If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
My understanding is that he lost both his father and grandfather since being here. That could certainly alter one’s mindset.
That is sad and can change mindset. I wonder what made him come all the way out east to begin with though?

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:11 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:35 am


If just Spillers and Abson entered that would lower expectations but the mass exodus had people wondering if Kerns is gone or something major happened behind the scenes. Other teams have lost a few players to the portal but the only teams who have had a major loss of basically all scholarship players with extensive time besides us are all having a coaching change.

I don't have any clue when we will hear something but I don't see any way that an extension or new deal announcement does not come soon. If Kerns is able to get us back to the top of league standings after this mass turnover I would think he will be a hot name and we should be prepared by working on a higher buyout so we at least get value back.
I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
My understanding is that he lost both his father and grandfather since being here. That could certainly alter one’s mindset.
That is sad and can change mindset. I wonder what made him come all the way out east to begin with though?
Could be the same reason that Joey did. Opportunity.

CharlotteApp05
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:18 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 pm

What we need now is a LEADER. I would love for it to be Marsh, Harcum or Tate to say "Entered in the portal, saw what was out there and I am going to stay here, take my $5K in NIL and be a leader."

But if not one of them, we need either a current commit or need a transfer in to say I am going to be that guy, who is going to join me? To host visits, to advocate for the program, to get other recruits excited to play with them. We have hit the bottom. It only takes one guy to change the inertia....Just give me one guy.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 12253
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 4602 times
Been thanked: 2518 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:20 pm

Guess Strothers chose to be close to home as he played HS ball in Newport News
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 1364 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:11 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:08 am


I do understand that. We just don’t know how conversations went with the other guys. Brown wanted to get closer to home which I get. Mantis was likely told that we would look in the portal to replace his minutes because let’s face it, he was a liability. Harcum saw the cupboard was bare and figured I might as well jump in. The only one that makes zero sense is Marsh. Given his level of interest from other schools, seems like he maybe thinks he is more deserving of more PT than he would get here.

Based on the fact that Kerns is still the coach and the mass exodus didn’t spawn a change at the top, I am pretty confident in saying that there was anything underlying within the program.
Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
My understanding is that he lost both his father and grandfather since being here. That could certainly alter one’s mindset.
That is sad and can change mindset. I wonder what made him come all the way out east to begin with though?
Could be the same reason that Joey did. Opportunity.
Just shocking that we were his only offer. You would have thought some D2 or JUCO out there would have at least taken him.

311neers
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1287 times
Been thanked: 923 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:11 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:09 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am


Brown I get but do wonder why he came here to begin with. I figured he likely felt he needed to get away from his home area for reasons but if not then I wonder what changed.

It is interesting you suggest that with Mantis because he played every game. If I had a liability on my roster I would sit them. Marsh or someone else should have gotten those minutes. I know they are different players but I would never put a liability on the floor if I had others who could play. Marsh could hit 3s better than Mantis if had got the playing time.

Harcum made a quick move instead of sitting back and being patient. I thought Marsh would start next year or play a lot more. Strothers baffled me as well.
My understanding is that he lost both his father and grandfather since being here. That could certainly alter one’s mindset.
That is sad and can change mindset. I wonder what made him come all the way out east to begin with though?
Could be the same reason that Joey did. Opportunity.
Just shocking that we were his only offer. You would have thought some D2 or JUCO out there would have at least taken him.
Have you seen him shoot a basketball? Athleticism alone should have landed him some small school offers out West though, for sure.

appgrad95&97
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm
Simple question to the group. If you or your child were in a similar situation would you advise them to stay or go? And when I say situation, take out your love for App and think about in terms of your kid, who doesn’t have that same love or devotion. I’m not saying that these are sound decisions, I’m just pointing out that we don’t know the personal motivations and without that information, are we in a position judge?
That's a really good question and really well put. My answer is stay. Here's why, none of these guys is going to the NBA, it doesn't matter if they transfer to Carolina, or Duke, or Kentucky, or UCLA. Second, I think I missed two home games so I saw them a lot. They really seemed to enjoy playing with each other. They looked like they had fun. NC State is not loaded with NBA talent, but look like they have fun together. Third, if this team had stayed together, they could have been really good. This year they were getting votes. Next year's team could have scheduled good power road games and made easy work of the Sun Belt. At the end of the day getting to do something amazing with a group I liked, would have kept me in Boone.

AppSt94
Posts: 9613
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6372 times
Been thanked: 3946 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:11 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm
Simple question to the group. If you or your child were in a similar situation would you advise them to stay or go? And when I say situation, take out your love for App and think about in terms of your kid, who doesn’t have that same love or devotion. I’m not saying that these are sound decisions, I’m just pointing out that we don’t know the personal motivations and without that information, are we in a position judge?
That's a really good question and really well put. My answer is stay. Here's why, none of these guys is going to the NBA, it doesn't matter if they transfer to Carolina, or Duke, or Kentucky, or UCLA. Second, I think I missed two home games so I saw them a lot. They really seemed to enjoy playing with each other. They looked like they had fun. NC State is not loaded with NBA talent, but look like they have fun together. Third, if this team had stayed together, they could have been really good. This year they were getting votes. Next year's team could have scheduled good power road games and made easy work of the Sun Belt. At the end of the day getting to do something amazing with a group I liked, would have kept me in Boone.
I don’t disagree. While I understand your reasonings, they really seem like they would be better presented to the group as a whole versus making that argument to each individual persons needs and desires. I can’t say that your assessment of each individual’s talent is incorrect, they are likely to approach that from a position of which opportunity gives me the best chance to beat the odds. Your State example is a good one for a few reasons. They are successful as a group because they play well together, but many players at the mid tier level will look at DJ Burns and see that his play at State opened a door that was likely closed or slightly ajar when he played at Winthrop. So while the odds are never in your favor, they look better when playing better competition on a nightly basis.

To your point on staying because this team could be good, you aren’t wrong but once one leaves, the dominos to that rationale fall apart. Like you, if it were my decision, or my son’s decision, it’s a bit different because I am fortunate that I don’t need the NIL money to survive or to attend games. Not all kids are blessed to be in a situation like the Aguilar’s that they can make all of his games.

Appreciate the response.

AppStFan1
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 1364 times

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:29 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am
After watching a number of the NCAA tournament games in the last two weeks I want to say, there are a lot of very good players out there at other schools. A lot are better than what we had this year. I really liked our team so this is not a knock on them but more of a reality check. These guys want to leave and that is who they will be competing against.

Questions:
1. How many players from our team will REALLY get into the pros, US, Europe, etc.? Few if any.
2. Did they go to college to get a degree? If so, will they eventually graduate or not? If not and they don't go pro what job prospects will they have?
3. If they get some NIL it will be a small amount in their lifetime earnings. I don't blame a kid for making $50k or more for a few years. But what is after that?

All of these should be seriously considered during their decision process. I hope they have some good advice from a trusted person in their sphere.
You have to remember with the pros we are talking NBA, G-League, Europe, and other foreign leagues. I could see Spillers, Abson, Gregory, and Harcum getting paid to play somewhere. I don't think any of them will play in the NBA but they could play in one of the other leagues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”