Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

appalum2003

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appalum2003 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm

lol college sports are dead

unless you're rich

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm
There’s only like 70 something D1 wrestling teams left for obvious reasons . Hell they don’t even have wrestling in the Olympics anymore for obvious reason.
It got removed, but then the wrestling governing body added weight classes for women and got added right back in without missing a single Olympics. Plus, women's wrestling is gaining traction in both North Carolina and the NCAA.

But yeah, dying sport. :roll:
Not to mention wrestling is a hell of a lot more exciting than watching paint dry in futbol
Some people prefer sweaty dudes in awkward positions over the beautiful game. Cool.
Appsolutely, but you would think it would be wrestlers laid out on the ground more often the soccer folks. They make pro wrestling look real.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
There’s only like 70 something D1 wrestling teams left for obvious reasons . Hell they don’t even have wrestling in the Olympics anymore for obvious reason.
It got removed, but then the wrestling governing body added weight classes for women and got added right back in without missing a single Olympics. Plus, women's wrestling is gaining traction in both North Carolina and the NCAA.

Not to mention wrestling is a hell of a lot more exciting than watching paint dry in futbol
Some people prefer sweaty dudes in awkward positions over the beautiful game. Cool.
Appsolutely, but you would think it would be wrestlers laid out on the ground more often the soccer folks. They make pro wrestling look real.
It's the art of acting.. versus athletic art..not touched..but act like their leg is broken...then a minute later ... running at full speed..
Some should get an Oscar
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

GEEZ - did I actually read the words "lazy hire" yet again??? :shock: :roll:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Yes, let's get rid of wrestling...where we dominate...and have decent to good fan support...
When we had Futbol, who showed up to watch?
Consistently ranked and beating other top 25 programs.
The obvious reason is Title IX. With 85 scholarships for football, men’s sports get cut.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:

I agree, pro wrestling is more entertaining than college wrestling. nWo 4life.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I agree, pro wrestling is more entertaining than college wrestling. nWo 4life.
I remember getting pay per view Wrestle Mania 4. Best day of my life.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Back to the portal. I really hope Marsh isn't leaving for one of these teams.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm
We have a huge problem in college sports. There is an idea that the grass is always greener on the other side and it isn't. I think most of these guys either had money offers from power schools like Abson and Spillers and the rest pretty much thought they could get better offers. Some said Brown entered to get close to home but I never understand why he would have come to App in the first place. He knew the distance.

Marsh would be way better off staying in Boone unless there is something bad we don't know about. Before people assume we have issues there are a lot of players in the portal and the biggest problem is with this current system and not App.

There is portal regret going on in basketball as well and I am wondering if some of our guys are going to experience that over the next couple weeks.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:

Good gracious. What grade are y'all in?
Let people like things.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm
We have a huge problem in college sports. There is an idea that the grass is always greener on the other side and it isn't. I think most of these guys either had money offers from power schools like Abson and Spillers and the rest pretty much thought they could get better offers. Some said Brown entered to get close to home but I never understand why he would have come to App in the first place. He knew the distance.

Marsh would be way better off staying in Boone unless there is something bad we don't know about. Before people assume we have issues there are a lot of players in the portal and the biggest problem is with this current system and not App.

There is portal regret going on in basketball as well and I am wondering if some of our guys are going to experience that over the next couple weeks.
Isn't it more likely that these guys played for Kerns, not App. If they know Kerns is out the door, there's no reason to stick around Boone. Our basketball program has basically been garbage. That's why I've been so concerned about keeping Kerns. Obviously I don't know that he is leaving, but to me that's the obvious explanation.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

I don't suspect that Kerns would leave for another Sun Belt school (JMU), but he sure seemed to have love for them in his postgame press conference when we played them up there. He went on and on about how great their facilities are and how they've "always been good" (not true). I could see Charleston since basketball is their marquee sport and it would pay a good bit more than he's getting at App, but these players were hitting the portal well before Kelsey took the Louisville job, although discussions were probably happening well before that. I just can't figure out where else Kerns would go for an available opening. St Louis is in a better bball conference, but the Indiana St coach has been mentioned there, and most other current openings that would be a slight step up are on the west coast. Those might not be out of the question though since he's worked at Santa Clara before.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Yes, let's get rid of wrestling...where we dominate...and have decent to good fan support...
When we had Futbol, who showed up to watch?
Consistently ranked and beating other top 25 programs.
Wrestling is in the Olympics. The reason there are so few teams in Division 1 now is because of title IX. We have a really good wrestling program, no need for this type of negativity. One could make a very strong argument that Wrestling is actually our best, most competitive program in all of our sports.
Well I wasn’t being negative just stating the facts thanks. If Money was the issue then I certainly think wrestling would have saved far more. I have nothing against wrestling just pointing it out.
Wrestling has a low budget and makes money for itself from summer camps. Not sure anymore but in the past it was the largest wrestling camp series kn the country.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

On the bright side, Roll Tide !

83App

Unread post by 83App » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

I know it is just media speculation but the Post and Courier out of Charleston posted and article with their top 5 candidates for the Charleston job and Coach Kerns isnt on the list. They have the coach from Furman at the top of the list. I hope Gillin is working hard on an extension with a raise for Coach Kerns. Next year is likely to be rough unless we hit a home run in the portal but Coach Kerns has proven to us already that he can build a program. Like many on this board I am very dis-illusioned with the state of college basketball and the lack of loyalty from the players. I have no problem with them getting paid but their has to be some rules and guidelines or they are going to find out that people quit watching and when viewership goes down NIL deals will decrease in value. Just one person's opinion!

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

Article in this morning’s Charleston paper about possible new coaches for C of C didn’t mention Kerns.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am
On the bright side, Roll Tide !
:D

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

During a recent career conversation with a mentor, she commented that

“The grass isn’t green here, there or anywhere. It’s all just shades of brown.”

Her comment is applicable to college sports as well.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

Frankly, I really don't see Kerns being the choice of a previously successful peer or above program. There might be a program out there that has the resources but just hasn't found success. I just don't see a program like Charleston putting Kerns in their sights.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

app97 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am
I don't suspect that Kerns would leave for another Sun Belt school (JMU), but he sure seemed to have love for them in his postgame press conference when we played them up there. He went on and on about how great their facilities are and how they've "always been good" (not true). I could see Charleston since basketball is their marquee sport and it would pay a good bit more than he's getting at App, but these players were hitting the portal well before Kelsey took the Louisville job, although discussions were probably happening well before that. I just can't figure out where else Kerns would go for an available opening. St Louis is in a better bball conference, but the Indiana St coach has been mentioned there, and most other current openings that would be a slight step up are on the west coast. Those might not be out of the question though since he's worked at Santa Clara before.
A little bit of a contrarian/hot take here...

Is Kerns really a highly sought-after candidate? Let me preface by saying I think that he is a great coach, he's done wonders at App, and I hope he sticks around for a while. However, his resume at App isn't eye-popping. WE love it because we know how bad things were before he was hired. However, in 5 years Kerns has made the NCAA tourney once, the NIT once, one conference tourney championship, and one regular season conference championship. If I'm a school that's got a million plus to drop on a new coach, there are some out there with better resumes that I could probably snag.
Again, I'm not criticizing coach Kerns. I think he's an outstanding coach. I'm just trying to look at this from outside our black-and-gold bubble. Feel free to argue and/or prove me wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”