Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Statesboro U, Saturday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qtrs

T-Dog

MBB vs Statesboro U, Saturday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qtrs

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:44 pm

https://www.pensacolabaycenter.com/even ... ionships-3
https://sunbeltsports.org/sports/2023/8 ... ath=mbball

What a lovely week it was. Throttling ODU and A-State to claim the undisputed and outright Sun Belt regular season championship with the most wins in program history, cutting down the nets in Holmes and celebrating with an overnighted trophy from New Orleans.

And now none of those matters now. Thus, the reality of mid-major college basketball.

The Apps head down to Pensacola on Thursday for the Sun Belt Tournament, playing in the now-traditional No. 1 seed spot at 12:30 p.m. ET (11:30 a.m. CT local time) versus the No. 8/9 winner from Thursday.

That game, also at 12:30 a.m. ET/11:30 a.m. CT, pits South Alabama versus Georgia Southern. App had to use overtime to beat both on the road and pulled away late from the Eagles in Boone. But that matters very little now.

The Sun Belt Tournament has been in Pensacola since 2021, so three years previous. Here's something that'll excite you. The winner of the first quarterfinal in Pensacola each of those years has made the finals. And here's something that'll scare you. None of those have been the No. 1 seed. The record of the No. 1 seed (who has been undisputed regular season champs all three years) in Pensacola? 0-3. Yes, zero and three.

In 2021, the COVID year, App State knocked off regular season champs Texas State in overtime in the middle of winning four games in four days to go social-distanced dancing (the Sun Belt Tournament utilized a second site that year to cut down the days and stopped doing that because the coaches whined).

In 2022, Texas State won the regular season again, and again lost the opening game, this time to No. 8 seed Louisiana 79-72. The Cajuns made it to the Sun Belt title game, losing to No. 3 Georgia State, who had beat No. 2 App State in the semifinals.

In 2023, last year, Southern Miss rose up to have an amazing regular season. Then No. 8 South Alabama, who had handled No. 9 App State two days before, walloped the Golden Eagles by 17. The Jags made it to the finals, upsetting JMU before losing to No. 2 Louisiana.

So there's some recent history to overcome in this quarterfinal. Nothing should be taken for granted.

Only thing I have to offer is that App is undefeated in game starting between 12-1 p.m. ET this season. UNCW and Murray State in Ft. Myers, Austin Peay, Auburn, ULM and Toledo, although I don't think any of us want to go through another Toledo. App State is 5-2 in Pensacola all time, buoyed by that 4-0 record in 2021.

You can't win three until you win one. And for the No. 1 seed in Pensacola, it's a giant leap that hasn't been done yet.

Last edited by T-Dog on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs SoAla/GaSo winner, Satuday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qt

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:06 pm

I hope South Ally and Stink go to quintuple OT.....or Stink loses by 100....just because it is Stink..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

app97

Re: MBB vs SoAla/GaSo winner, Satuday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qt

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:44 am

the way I see it is we have the toughest matchup we could have in the quarterfinals. Both USA and Southern took us to overtime this year, so they both think they can play with us. It's time to put those thoughts to bed.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:44 pm
The Sun Belt Tournament has been in Pensacola since 2021, so three years previous. Here's something that'll excite you. The winner of the first quarterfinal in Pensacola each of those years has made the finals. And here's something that'll scare you. None of those have been the No. 1 seed. The record of the No. 1 seed (who has been undisputed regular season champs all three years) in Pensacola? 0-3. Yes, zero and three.
This team has accomplished a lot of firsts... might as well add more to it!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:40 am

There's a reason the regular season winner in many one bid conferences fails to win their conference tournament. The pressure is immense given what the regular season champ has accomplished. Knowing they can't afford a slip up puts the pressure squarely on the top seed. Perhaps this won't affect our guys but we kid ourselves if we think they won't feel the pressure.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:00 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:40 am
There's a reason the regular season winner in many one bid conferences fails to win their conference tournament. The pressure is immense given what the regular season champ has accomplished. Knowing they can't afford a slip up puts the pressure squarely on the top seed. Perhaps this won't affect our guys but we kid ourselves if we think they won't feel the pressure.
A very good coach can help calm the nerves so to speak.
#99ForPresident!!

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:25 pm

I really feel like the first game may end up being as tough or tougher then the final simply because I think App's depth could play a bigger part in the second/third games whereas both teams will have fresh legs on Saturday.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:04 pm

Funny how the media is all but crowning JMU as king of everything before the tournament is even played. Couple that with how this Mountaineer squad is getting little mention in the press and even less love.

As the sage once observed, a fine line exists between fear and anger. So let the pundits pile on; it will help our kids settle their nerves and pour on the fuel to show the world they're wrong.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:19 pm

Yea, I find it funny that most “analysts “ and I use it loosely, really are looking at us and for that matter JMU and most one bid leagues, so superficially. Whatever their algorithm tells them. Whether it’s the Athletic and their software Slipshot or all the advanced stats…… so in one regard that’s about all they have time to do…. picking a Cinderella…. it’s not the same as picking the top four #1’s…… I get it. Also we know our team infinitely better than anybody from ESPN, CBS, Athleic and so on. This is why you play the game… because really, nobody knows. I personally do not see us as a Cinderella… as someone wrote from the Athletic, App St is like a “schoolyard bully”…. we are… between the excellent defense (most of the time) and the blocked shots (and altered shots) and our rebounding…… we kind of are a bully… never mind that mostly we don’t foul while playing D, or the fact that we play with 9 starters……I have not seen most of these attributes mentioned in print…..that’s fine…. we just have to continue playing one game at a time and let’s see where that takes us.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:05 pm

App by 8
#99ForPresident!!

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:26 pm

Once again, the broadcast announcers for the men’s and ladies tourney games are NOT onsite. I find this so lame on the part of the Sun Belt Conference and very disappointing. It was understandable during Covid but not now. Perhaps it will change in coming rounds but the broadcasters were in a studio for the first round.

Fortunately, we all have the option of turning the broadcast audio down and tuning into the talented Matt Present for radio the radio coverage of the men which is standard procedure for me anyway.

Watching some of the men’s first round action reminded me how much I don’t care for the broadcast analyst and how annoying he can be. Meanwhile, I did like the pairing for the Lady Mountaineers victory which included Noah Frary on play by play. His analyst parter was very insightful too and I enjoyed her work.

Anyway, the SBC should be better. Get the crews on-site and add a sideline reporter. Go Mountaineers!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:11 pm

GASO up by 10 with about 7 mins to go

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:36 pm

We really have to be able to beat a 9 win Southern team.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:36 pm

We will face the stinkin' Iggles

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:37 pm

Playing GASO….. they won 76-71

RaleighApp27609

Re: MBB vs Statesboro U, Saturday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qtrs

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:37 pm

The Iggles it is.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Re: MBB vs Statesboro U, Saturday, March 9, 12:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacola, Fla., Sun Belt Qtrs

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:47 pm

Guard the perimeter and box out. Do those things and we will dominate.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:55 pm

We may end up playing 3-4 guards…. probably start usual 5 and if GASO hits some 3’s….. then sometime in 1st half switch personnel…. In the first half GASO guards drove to the basket a fair amount…. just pick them up a little earlier…..1-0 baby

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:07 pm

Didn’t really expect that one. USA looked like a dark horse before today. Hmmm anyway hopping on a plane for Pensacola in a few minutes. Go Apps!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”