Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs Louisiana, Saturday, Feb. 17, 2024, 4:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Holmes Center, Bobby Marlin searches again for Nemo

Saint3333

Re: MBB vs Louisiana, Saturday, Feb. 17, 2024, 4:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Holmes Center, Bobby Marlin searches again for Nemo

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm

704App wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:44 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:52 am
Abson and Brown not on the floor in the final two minutes of games is all the proof one needs to understand that FTs matter in tight games. Silly this discussion continues.
Nobody said they don't matter.

They just don't matter as much as you think they do. You seemingly would rather they practice FTs instead of defensive rotations.

You're right, I can't believe you continue to harp on something that facts and stats prove is insignificant in the grand scheme of the entirety of the game.
You claim nobody said they don't matter and claim they are insignificant in the same post, now that is mental gymnastics.

Again my point this whole time, spin it however you'd like to justify your position: in tournament play every aspect of the game matters, including FTs which will be amplified, the margin for error shrinks.

704App
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs Louisiana, Saturday, Feb. 17, 2024, 4:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+, Holmes Center, Bobby Marlin searches again for Nemo

Unread post by 704App » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:07 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm
704App wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Abson and Brown not on the floor in the final two minutes of games is all the proof one needs to understand that FTs matter in tight games. Silly this discussion continues.

They just don't matter as much as you think they do. You seemingly would rather they practice FTs instead of defensive rotations.

You're right, I can't believe you continue to harp on something that facts and stats prove is insignificant in the grand scheme of the entirety of the game.
You claim nobody said they don't matter and claim they are insignificant in the same post, now that is mental gymnastics.

Again my point this whole time, spin it however you'd like to justify your position: in tournament play every aspect of the game matters, including FTs which will be amplified, the margin for error shrinks.
Guess you forgot to read the part that says grand scheme of the entirety of the game? They can be insignificant in the grand scheme of winning a game but at the same time be important to track and improve on.

Just like yards after contact in football. If that number is low, but you're still winning games, it's likely because you're scoring TDs so fast, that stat becomes insignificant in the grand scheme of the entirety of the game. Are ards after contact is an important stat to track? Yes. but they are insignificant in the outcome of the game if the other aspects are solid -- just like FTs

We get it. You've never been wrong and require the last word in everything even when stats and facts prove you wrong.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:48 pm

I'll say it again. If we were shooting 75% which equates to about 15 makes out of 20 attempts and that ranks us in the top 3rd in the country hardly anyone says a word and that is still leaving 5 points on the board. We are closer to 12-13 makes which equates to the 66% and that gets magnified by some as a huge problem. Once again absolutely nobody says free throws aren't important. There are, however probably several statistical categories which are way more important and definitely impact the game way more. Our 3 point percentage isn't great and how many second chance opportunities do we get off of misses? How many shots have we missed inside of 10'? How many points have we allowed off of turnovers? Again, our defensive efforts have more than made up for a few missed free throws.

As far as Brown and Abson not being on the floor in the last 2 minutes that's probably more of a general offensive liability issue than free throw shooting. Brown isn't a huge offensive go to guy to begin with and in a clutch situation he ain't the guy. We have 5 other dudes more suited for that time of a close game.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:59 pm
704App wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That what absolutely kills me with this discussion. Absolutely NOBODY says that they aren't important. Free throw percentage is simply one of the most insignificant stats. If we shot 50 a game and were at 66% that's a different story. At 20 a game the difference in sucking and respectable is about 3 to 4 a game. We completely overcome this slight deficiency with our defense.
Nope. Stop with this common sense. It doesn't appeal to the people that just want something to complain about.

Sure, in the perfect world, we would be 100% from FTs. But we aren't in a perfect world.

This mentality reminds me of the parents of friends growing up..

Friend "Mom, I got an A in math this semester!"
Mom "great honey, what percentage?"
Friend "A 98!!!"
Mom "Should have been a 100. Be better at studying next time."

Here..

Basketball team has most wins earliest in the season in history..

People that just want something to complain about: "Yeah, but if they hit 3 more FTs a game, we would be at 72% there and respectable. Instead, we are at 66% and not respectable at all. And, I really have nothing else to complain about so I have to find something."

That is why the discussion continues.

It's not that people think FTs are more important than others. It's that some people, no matter how good something is, still bring up the negative aspects of EVERYTHING.

You could shit gold and they would say "yeah, but it came from your ass so it's really not that impressive. It's actually pretty dirty. You should do better."

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:51 pm

Here's a stat for you: we have made 99 more free throws than our opponents this year (254 vs 353)

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Why would every sports organization record and report free throws in their box scores? Those silly gooses.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:06 pm

704App wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
704App wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That what absolutely kills me with this discussion. Absolutely NOBODY says that they aren't important. Free throw percentage is simply one of the most insignificant stats. If we shot 50 a game and were at 66% that's a different story. At 20 a game the difference in sucking and respectable is about 3 to 4 a game. We completely overcome this slight deficiency with our defense.
Nope. Stop with this common sense. It doesn't appeal to the people that just want something to complain about.

Sure, in the perfect world, we would be 100% from FTs. But we aren't in a perfect world.

Friend "A 98!!!"

Here..

People that just want something to complain about: "Yeah, but if they hit 3 more FTs a game, we would be at 72% there and respectable. Instead, we are at 66% and not respectable at all. And, I really have nothing else to complain about so I have to find something."

It's not that people think FTs are more important than others. It's that some people, no matter how good something is, still bring up the negative aspects of EVERYTHING.

You could shit gold and they would say "yeah, but it came from your ass so it's really not that impressive. It's actually pretty dirty. You should do better."
No one is complaining about the FTs. Some have point to the % as a concern as we move forward but no one is letting the 66% overshadow the accomplishments of this team. UVA proved that you can win going 1-11 from the line but it made the game much closer than it needed to be and no doubt if they had squandered away the game in the closing seconds that would have been a contributing factor. As would any other obvious error like a turnover or silly foul. So, while FT shooting in and of itself is not the only deciding factor in a game, it can be. We seem to be strong in most areas of the game, FT shooting is perhaps our shakiest area. I wish we were better, I assume everyone else does as well.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:31 pm

I dug into our stats and really feel our depth (which is a strength) somewhat contributes to our lower FT%. When Marsh wasn't playing much, he was shooting 56%. As his minutes and FT attempts increased, he has gotten much better (14 of 15 for 93% last 5 games). Conversely, when Huntley was shooting a lot of FTs during the middle of the season (3 per game), he was 21 of 24 for 88%. In the last 13 games, he has shot 5 of 12 for 42%. He also shot 1 of 6 in the first game. When you spread minutes around to 9 guys, it is harder to get in a rhythm and our stats prove that.

Obviously Abson and Xavion are our two outliers. We shoot above average if you take their numbers out. On the bright side, Abson has improved from 39% last year to 44% this year and 58% the past 7 games. Xavion has improved the past 3 years from 25% to 36% to 40%.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:43 pm

I noticed Abson has widened his stance on free throws so he's clearly working on them and experimenting to get better.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:06 pm
704App wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
704App wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Friend "A 98!!!"

Here..

No one is complaining about the FTs. Some have point to the % as a concern as we move forward but no one is letting the 66% overshadow the accomplishments of this team. UVA proved that you can win going 1-11 from the line but it made the game much closer than it needed to be and no doubt if they had squandered away the game in the closing seconds that would have been a contributing factor. As would any other obvious error like a turnover or silly foul. So, while FT shooting in and of itself is not the only deciding factor in a game, it can be. We seem to be strong in most areas of the game, FT shooting is perhaps our shakiest area. I wish we were better, I assume everyone else does as well.
Exactly right. Every aspect of the game can be a deciding factor. If we have a low FG shooting percentage that can lead to a loss, turnovers or allowing our opponents a high shooting percentage (UNCA 3 point shooting). Some simply see that FT % and don't bother to consider that it's based on a low numerator. Like I've said if we were shooting 50 FT's a game and still at 66% that would lead to a much higher number of opponent opportunities but at 20ish per game those are way less chances for the other team. As mentioned above the disparity between shots taken for us versus our opponents is huge. We don't foul shooters very often so our opponents are not going to the line that much. Of all the stats this one has to be the least detrimental to our games. Again, the difference in our terrible percentage and one that nobody would say a word about is about 3-4 made shots a game. Increase our 3 point accuracy by one shot and it's mute.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm
hapapp wrote:
704App wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
704App wrote:

Friend "A 98!!!"

Here..

Exactly right. Every aspect of the game can be a deciding factor. If we have a low FG shooting percentage that can lead to a loss, turnovers or allowing our opponents a high shooting percentage (UNCA 3 point shooting). Some simply see that FT % and don't bother to consider that it's based on a low numerator. Like I've said if we were shooting 50 FT's a game and still at 66% that would lead to a much higher number of opponent opportunities but at 20ish per game those are way less chances for the other team. As mentioned above the disparity between shots taken for us versus our opponents is huge. We don't foul shooters very often so our opponents are not going to the line that much. Of all the stats this one has to be the least detrimental to our games. Again, the difference in our terrible percentage and one that nobody would say a word about is about 3-4 made shots a game. Increase our 3 point accuracy by one shot and it's mute.
I agree every aspect can decide a game but you want to be shooting 75% or more at least when you get in the postseason because teams are much more even. Our length and depth are helping us right now but most teams have that in the postseason and it can be anything that separates. 3-point shooting, free throws, rebounding, controlling tempo and time of possession, FG %, etc all can be the difference. It is easy to be down by say 5-7 with less than 2 minutes left in a game and if you are hitting 80%+ of those FTs it helps to get back in the game.

I agree that if we increase the 3 point accuracy it helps. Hopefully Marsh keeps it up and Mantis can get in a groove. If we can have 2-3 players get hot from the 3-point line then it can negate a lot of other stuff.

One big thing helping us win right now is Abson's presence forcing players to alter their shots and impact their strategy in the paint.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:56 pm

Technically, if we made 1 extra free throw per game, we would be at 71.9% which is slightly above average.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:59 pm

appvette wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:56 pm
Technically, if we made 1 extra free throw per game, we would be at 71.9% which is slightly above average.
That is true. I think what has made it seem off is we have had a couple guys shooting really low. If Brown and Abson are hitting then we are pretty good. It would be great to see us at 80%. That would put us in territory that makes it almost impossible for a team to get behind 4+ possessions inside 2 minutes to make a comeback.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:01 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:59 pm
appvette wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:56 pm
That is true. I think what has made it seem off is we have had a couple guys shooting really low. If Brown and Abson are hitting then we are pretty good. It would be great to see us at 80%. That would put us in territory that makes it almost impossible for a team to get behind 4+ possessions inside 2 minutes to make a comeback.
I agree 80% would be great, but that's well above the NBA average. Not sure why we're suddenly expecting our team to do better that guys getting paid tens of millions of dollars to play the game.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:24 pm

hapapp wrote:
704App wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
704App wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Friend "A 98!!!"

Here..

No one is complaining about the FTs. Some have
You're reading a different board than me then.

Or perhaps it's just the same usually suspect so it's coming off in that tone. Before I signed up for an account, I was told by 3 different people that don't even know each other the reason they are no longer on this board is because of a group of people -- there were 2 posters on all 3 lists.

Saint is one. No idea who he is or what his issue is, but he really needs a hug and to smile in his life. Finding and pointing out the negative in literally everything has to be exhausting!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:29 pm

Abson and Brown’s defense more than negates the impact of their FT misses.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:45 pm

Welcome to the board 704. Now I better understand the premature angst which is unfounded and biased before I type.

Imagine reading one thought about free throws and assuming that poster believes everything is negative about the team. Even after being very supportive in so many other posts.

Then compound that with assuming a negative connotation about someone you don’t know.

Think for yourself and assume most people are good until you get to know them.

Been a supporter of everything App State related for over 20 years and don’t plan to stop.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm

I've been more of a lurker than a poster over the years but Saint is one of the good ones. He's always been very balanced and unbiased in pointing out good and bad. Some posters are on one extreme or the other.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:49 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Welcome to the board 704. Now I better understand the premature angst which is unfounded and biased before I type.

Imagine reading one thought about free throws and assuming that poster believes everything is negative about the team. Even after being very supportive in so many other posts.

Then compound that with assuming a negative connotation about someone you don’t know.

Think for yourself and assume most people are good until you get to know them.

Been a supporter of everything App State related for over 20 years and don’t plan to stop.
This isn't just one thread. This is at least 90% of your posts are complaining about something. You just can't be a happy person it appears. Always have to call out the negatives for zero reason other than to get the attention you crave. I fed the troll. And that's all you are -- a troll. You single handily ruin the board and drive other posters off and I see why.

The moment someone calls you out on the rhetoric used to get the attention you crave, you pull the "it's one thread" and "get to know me" card while completely ignoring the fact you're negative about EVERYTHING -- not just FTs.

And it's not unfounded and unbiased. Again, 3 different people with nothing to do with each other told me about you before I signed up. I have over 10 PMs from others thanking me for calling out on your shadiness because the mods won't do anything about your constantly negative rhetoric yet penalize people that try to bring positivity (no idea on that drama). So, very obviously not unbiased or unfounded.

I can only imagine what you're like when the QB and WR are off on an option route.bht, I won't be able to because I found that ignore button -- seems like the best option to get rid of the negative nancies. Problem is I still have to see it in quotes (according to the PMs), but I guess I can handle that.

I'm glad you support App and will continue to do so. But, you may want to take a chill pill in your support of App. Everything isn't negative. You're allowed to be positive!

And now I am done feeding the troll.
Last edited by 704App on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:57 pm

You chose to read my posts in a negative light, it’s called confirmation bias.

I’m very positive about this team, about this coach, and there are many posts stating such.

Throughly enjoyed watching both games this weekend.

You came on this board 45 days ago and have allowed three people to taint my posts. One of those posters that speaks negatively of me is notorious for a Ted Lasso quote, be curious not judgmental. It’s great advice.

You’ll never see me degrade another poster personally, but one thing posters that get aggravated by my posts seem to resort to is name calling.
Last edited by Saint3333 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”