Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App MBB vs Coastal, Saturday, Jan. 20, 4:30 p.m. ET, year two thousand and twenty four, Cure Bowl celebration game, cold

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: App MBB vs Coastal, Saturday, Jan. 20, 4:30 p.m. ET, year two thousand and twenty four, Cure Bowl celebration game,

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 am

I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase this question so bear with me. In our history who was the best team we beat in terms of how that opponent finished the season? Auburn for example has not lost since and has rolled over nearly every team they have played. If they end up going far in the NCAA tournament they would certainly have to be near or at the top of the great wins for our program. So have we ever knocked off a similar type team who then went on to big time success in the post season? Obviously a lot is left to do by all but...

AppStFan1

Re: App MBB vs Coastal, Saturday, Jan. 20, 4:30 p.m. ET, year two thousand and twenty four, Cure Bowl celebration game,

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:05 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 am
I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase this question so bear with me. In our history who was the best team we beat in terms of how that opponent finished the season? Auburn for example has not lost since and has rolled over nearly every team they have played. If they end up going far in the NCAA tournament they would certainly have to be near or at the top of the great wins for our program. So have we ever knocked off a similar type team who then went on to big time success in the post season? Obviously a lot is left to do by all but...
That is a good question. I was going to say CofC or Davidson when they were good but neither was ranked when we beat them I don't think. I wish Auburn was ranked at the time we beat them because if they keep it up they certainly will be our best win of all-time. They just beat #22 Ole Miss easily. They have a tough schedule remaining with RV Alabama up next. I am certainly pulling for the teams in our OOC schedule. The better they do the better our NET ranking will be.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:27 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:05 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
That is a good question. I was going to say CofC or Davidson when they were good but neither was ranked when we beat them I don't think. I wish Auburn was ranked at the time we beat them because if they keep it up they certainly will be our best win of all-time. They just beat #22 Ole Miss easily. They have a tough schedule remaining with RV Alabama up next. I am certainly pulling for the teams in our OOC schedule. The better they do the better our NET ranking will be.
Did either of those teams end up winning any of the big dance games? This really isn't a regular season ranking question. For example we beat a 5th ranked Michigan team in football and had they finished 3-8 that would have slightly diminished the shock effect but I believe they went 8-4 and beat a good Florida team in their bowl game. A&M went the other direction. We really want Auburn to continue winning and to climb the ladder but then again when the season is done will the experts say they had a "bad loss" to us?

Side note it kind of stinks to see how Oregon State and NIU are doing but a college basketball team can look way different in late January then they did in early December.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:55 am

I absolutely appreciate the question about beating a ranked team and their success following the loss to App. Unfortunately,
it all still comes down to the need to win the Sunbelt tournament as I just don't see two teams getting in from this conference.
Last edited by AppDub on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:59 am

One other thing. After watching the game on ESPN+ yesterday, the one upgrade I would ask is to fix the sound. I've heard it mentioned before, you can tell the fans are louder than is being shared. I'd much rather hear them yelling than "smooth as silk" repeated over and over for both teams as triple the decibels of the arena noise. Just sayin'.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:28 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:27 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:05 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Did either of those teams end up winning any of the big dance games? This really isn't a regular season ranking question. For example we beat a 5th ranked Michigan team in football and had they finished 3-8 that would have slightly diminished the shock effect but I believe they went 8-4 and beat a good Florida team in their bowl game. A&M went the other direction. We really want Auburn to continue winning and to climb the ladder but then again when the season is done will the experts say they had a "bad loss" to us?

Side note it kind of stinks to see how Oregon State and NIU are doing but a college basketball team can look way different in late January then they did in early December.
I have no clue about games prior to 90s but I am pretty sure this could be our best win ever if they keep it up.

I would say experts will say we were a bad loss if we don't win the Sun Belt and make a postseason run. If we go 26-5 in regular season to win the SBC, win the SBC tourney, and win a couple games in the NCAA tourney then I am sure it won't be considered a bad loss at all. If we lose 4-5 more games, don't win the SBC tourney, and go one and done in CBI or something then yes I think it will be looked at as a bad loss.

NIU and Oregon State are definitely looking like bad losses for us. I bet we would be receiving votes in the AP and coaches polls if we had won those two games. I feel pretty safe to say that we probably would beat both of them by double digits if we played again.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:33 pm

AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:55 am
I absolute appreciate the question about beating a ranked team and their success following the loss to App. Unfortunately,
it all still comes down to the need to win the Sunbelt tournament as I just don't see two teams getting in from this conference.
It would be really hard to get more than one team. Both of us better dominate the rest of the way and I think App and JMU are the only shot at getting 2 in. Our win over Auburn and theirs over Michigan State would make for interesting discussion if we go 26-5 and they go 27-4 with us both in the SBC title game. What if we both do that but one of us loses in the semis and Troy or someone else wins the title game with a 26-5 App and 27-4 JMU from regular season?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:14 pm

This may or may not be related. Because we are now in first place in the conference, we'll be an aq in this week's bracketology. I'll be interested to see what seed line we're on.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:33 pm
AppDub wrote:
I absolute appreciate the question about beating a ranked team and their success following the loss to App. Unfortunately,
It would be really hard to get more than one team. Both of us better dominate the rest of the way and I think App and JMU are the only shot at getting 2 in. Our win over Auburn and theirs over Michigan State would make for interesting discussion if we go 26-5 and they go 27-4 with us both in the SBC title game. What if we both do that but one of us loses in the semis and Troy or someone else wins the title game with a 26-5 App and 27-4 JMU from regular season?
We need to be careful talking like this because it's supposed to be a beat ETSU mentality- LOL.
At any rate I just scanned through the current overall standings and kind of picked the teams likely to get bids to include several obvious one bid conferences. A tremendous amount will change but I counted about 62 probable teams. I don't think either JMU or App can afford a bad conference loss and we probably need to go 23-7 minimum and at least make the conference finals. It's just great to be in the hunt.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:43 pm

For me, the most exciting thing about this year's team is that, if we can keep it up and win a trip to the dance, we shouldn't be seeded at 15 or 16 like previous trips. If we can get up to a more respectable seed (even 11th or 12th), we have a much more legit chance to advance. I know it's too early to think in those terms, but those are the thoughts creeping into my head these days. The 2007 team was amazing as well but unfortunately lost in the tournament and wound up in the NIT.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:41 pm
Another strong showing tonight...the Chickens seem to be self-destructing. After the puppet show we saw from MBB last year, who would've thought App would be in 1st place right now? Hats off to Kerns, his staff and (above all) the players!

On another note, event parking was clearly given little consideration when Holmes was designed. The parking deck should help; it's just a shame it's taken so long for it to be built.
I've been doing a little mid-major tour this month. Been to games at Davidson, Charlotte, Coastal, Evansville and Holmes.

In regards to parking:
Davidson, you either sit in line and pay $10 to park beside the arena or park on the street in town and make about a 5 minute walk in.
Charlotte has a parking deck near Halton (that tends to take a while to empty out, if there is a crowd. We usually park in another deck across campus and enjoy a 10 minute walk through the center of campus (if the weather is decent)
Coastal--from our experience most of the parking beside the arena was for their season ticket holders and students. There was a vacant lot about a 5 minute walk away or you could bus it across campus. (and yes, we heard the F App State from their students who weren't even interested in supporting their team)
Evansville has a great downtown arena (The Ford Center) that they share with a minor league hockey team). Hence, the arena is not on campus and you are parking on the street or in surface lots or decks downtown.
Prior to the parking deck, Holmes has a 5 minute walk from River Street or you can make the climb up to the Hill Street lot post game. (if you are not a VIP).

None of the arenas were half full (Dayton brought a good crowd to Davidson). Charlotte Students were on break against FAU, but, they rarely hit more than a third of Capacity in Halton. Coastal's arena is very small, and there were plenty of teal seats. The Ford Center has black curtains covering the upper deck and the lower bowl was 1/3 of capacity. Our announced attendance was 3100.

Our student attendance yesterday, led the pack in the 5 games I attended. The Charlotte crowd was the loudest, but it was an intense game against a ranked team vs. a blowout of the beach chickens.

The Auburn game is by far the best game i've attended this year from a crowd perspective.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:46 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:54 pm
Bootsy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:41 pm
Another strong showing tonight...the Chickens seem to be self-destructing. After the puppet show we saw from MBB last year, who would've thought App would be in 1st place right now? Hats off to Kerns, his staff and (above all) the players!

On another note, event parking was clearly given little consideration when Holmes was designed. The parking deck should help; it's just a shame it's taken so long for it to be built.
I've been doing a little mid-major tour this month. Been to games at Davidson, Charlotte, Coastal, Evansville and Holmes.

In regards to parking:
Davidson, you either sit in line and pay $10 to park beside the arena or park on the street in town and make about a 5 minute walk in.
Charlotte has a parking deck near Halton (that tends to take a while to empty out, if there is a crowd. We usually park in another deck across campus and enjoy a 10 minute walk through the center of campus (if the weather is decent)
Coastal--from our experience most of the parking beside the arena was for their season ticket holders and students. There was a vacant lot about a 5 minute walk away or you could bus it across campus. (and yes, we heard the F App State from their students who weren't even interested in supporting their team)
Evansville has a great downtown arena (The Ford Center) that they share with a minor league hockey team). Hence, the arena is not on campus and you are parking on the street or in surface lots or decks downtown.
Prior to the parking deck, Holmes has a 5 minute walk from River Street or you can make the climb up to the Hill Street lot post game. (if you are not a VIP).

None of the arenas were half full (Dayton brought a good crowd to Davidson). Charlotte Students were on break against FAU, but, they rarely hit more than a third of Capacity in Halton. Coastal's arena is very small, and there were plenty of teal seats. The Ford Center has black curtains covering the upper deck and the lower bowl was 1/3 of capacity. Our announced attendance was 3100.

Our student attendance yesterday, led the pack in the 5 games I attended. The Charlotte crowd was the loudest, but it was an intense game against a ranked team vs. a blowout of the beach chickens.

The Auburn game is by far the best game i've attended this year from a crowd perspective.
I thought a shuttle ran from the River St. deck.

asumba95

Unread post by asumba95 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
We need to be careful talking like this because it's supposed to be a beat ETSU mentality- LOL.
At any rate I just scanned through the current overall standings and kind of picked the teams likely to get bids to include several obvious one bid conferences. A tremendous amount will change but I counted about 62 probable teams. I don't think either JMU or App can afford a bad conference loss and we probably need to go 23-7 minimum and at least make the conference finals. It's just great to be in the hunt.
IMO, we'll need to win the SB tourney to get in. SB won't get an at large pick unless the league as a whole improves dramatically or we start playing (and winning) tougher OOC games. I know we beat Auburn (which is fantastic), but we also lost to UNC-A. Issue with the SB is way too many teams at 150+ in the RPI.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:28 pm

asumba95 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:21 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
IMO, we'll need to win the SB tourney to get in. SB won't get an at large pick unless the league as a whole improves dramatically or we start playing (and winning) tougher OOC games. I know we beat Auburn (which is fantastic), but we also lost to UNC-A. Issue with the SB is way too many teams at 150+ in the RPI.
If we ran the table and JMU won the tournament, I think we might sneak in. But, that would mean we would need to finish like 29-5 or 28-6 and lose to JMU, a twenty game winner in the championship. So, its not impossible but the likelihood that all would transpire down the stretch is highly unlikely.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:14 pm
This may or may not be related. Because we are now in first place in the conference, we'll be an aq in this week's bracketology. I'll be interested to see what seed line we're on.
Before yesterday's game, Jerry Palm had us a 13 seed paired #4 Memphis.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

Lunardi before yesterday had Troy as a 15 seed.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:51 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I'd guess that some of these bracketology deals especially Lunardi just goes with the current conference leader in the mid majors. We will probably take Troy's place this week

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:14 pm

AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:59 am
One other thing. After watching the game on ESPN+ yesterday, the one upgrade I would ask is to fix the sound. I've heard it mentioned before, you can tell the fans are louder than is being shared. I'd much rather hear them yelling than "smooth as silk" repeated over and over for both teams as triple the decibels of the arena noise. Just sayin'.
“You betcha”

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:15 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:

That's helpful, thank you. I think a ten seed should mean we're in either way.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:19 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:14 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:59 am
“You betcha”
I see what you did there! :D

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:22 pm

It is fun to track the forecasts for March Madness. With that said, I still believe SBC only gets one team in...and that will be tournament champion. How often has SBC got two teams in?
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”