Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Austin Peay

asu2000
School: Appalachian State

Re: Austin Peay

Unread post by asu2000 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:04 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:54 am
Yeah, was at the game yesterday, I just don't understand it at all. Great product, fun atmosphere. I took my son to his first game in Holmes (freshman at App) and he really liked it and asked me why more people don’t go. I asked him what he thought and he basically said it’s not a “happening” like football and no one goes. Not sure how to gain momentum here, but it has to somehow become an event. Would still like to see students moved to one side of the sidelines, instead of the baseline. Put all the season tix holders together on the side behind the floor seats. Let the students be on tv.
Good comments - the team looks like they will have a strong W/L record going into conference play at this time - attendance was down with the holiday and was an early game time on a Sunday, if it was 4pm more students would have been there. Students were not in there usual full force for the football game Saturday - still a great showing at football, but also 1pm Sunday is still hangover headache time for students from Saturday football and partying. It should get much better soon. I have "beef" with the expanded "high roller" section behind the basket near the App bench for a grand total of 10 people that sat there for this game, this needs to be a student section as well. I know last year more than 10 general population sat in this area for each game and sat close to the court! At minimum let students be at both baskets, both ends of the court and chant app state back and forth - cheering squad can get that going during timeouts. There was Not a great deal of life in the arena yesterday (partially because of opponent and game time) , but I think it will build.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:34 pm

mike87 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:57 am
AppOrange wrote:
Yeah, was at the game yesterday, I just don't understand it at all. Great product, fun atmosphere. I took my son to his first game in Holmes (freshman at App) and he really liked it and asked me why more people don’t go. I asked him what he thought and he basically said it’s not a “happening” like football and no one goes. Not sure how to gain momentum here, but it has to somehow become an event. Would still like to see students moved to one side of the sidelines, instead of the baseline. Put all the season tix holders together on the side behind the floor seats. Let the students be on tv.
Putting the students on TV might encourage them to show up. everybody wants their moment of fame.
I know this has been suggested to the AD along with other ideas to increase attendance by a Trustee last year. When I followed up with him he told me that he made the argument and that was all he could do.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:15 pm

I'm pretty sure that the year we made the NIT we averaged less than 2,500. App basketball isn't properly marketed.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:46 pm

I realize we’re much better off now than we were 5 years ago. No doubt. However, winning 55% of your games by scoring 68-72 points a game ain’t going to draw the casual fan. Locals and sports invested students will be there to the tune of 1800-2500 a game max. I think Coach Kerns finally has a roster to still play great defense while scoring in transition. Turn em loose, score points, and build some excitement.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:51 am

AppOrange wrote:

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:54 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:51 am
AppOrange wrote:
I could not agree more with this statement...I have been saying the same thing. Let the students have the side seats at least until demand from willing buyers becomes a problem. I would give them the whole bottom section and make old people like me buy tickets in the upper section. But definitely give them one side.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:57 am

At least the vocal minority of student attendees on Twitter have said they absolutely want to stand where the currently are behind the goals.

Students used to be on the sidelines when I was a student in 2009-2013, not sure when they moved but apparently they like it there.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:05 pm

Build with the students. Just like football. Throw the kitchen sink at driving student attendance and the rest will follow.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:49 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:54 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:51 am
AppOrange wrote:
I could not agree more with this statement...I have been saying the same thing. Let the students have the side seats at least until demand from willing buyers becomes a problem. I would give them the whole bottom section and make old people like me buy tickets in the upper section. But definitely give them one side.
That's how Dook-y does it. When I lived in Columbia SC, students were on the side versus end. Not sure how USC does it now. Side would be cool...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:02 pm

Agree with everything in this thread. I was at the game as well and the only thing I would add is where is the support from other athletes? When I was in school the football team would sit together (generally 15-25) of us every game. We should consider creating some type of requirement within our NIL contracts for athletes to attend a certain number of games to support other sports. Easy way to stay out of trouble and have fun.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:27 pm

I am not into requiring other athletes to attend games that is not related to their team. Yes, let's make them attend something they have zero desire to attend. I would rather they be studying or perfecting their craft in their sport if they have no desire to attend.
If they want to attend, great.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:48 pm

I would make sure the whole town knew about a "$5 dollar Ticket"!!!!!!!!! (Of course it would be a bad seat). I also would make a club section for each group. Athletes, Greek, Honors and so on. I would have a retired/group section. BUT, I WOULD START WITH STUDENTS. They make the atmosphere.

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:09 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:46 pm
I realize we’re much better off now than we were 5 years ago. No doubt. However, winning 55% of your games by scoring 68-72 points a game ain’t going to draw the casual fan. Locals and sports invested students will be there to the tune of 1800-2500 a game max. I think Coach Kerns finally has a roster to still play great defense while scoring in transition. Turn em loose, score points, and build some excitement.
I agree - take the stairs and pick up the pace

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”