Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

23-24 Schedule

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: 23-24 Schedule

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:24 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:56 am
appfanjj wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:16 am
Where in the world will it be played?
In Hickory?
I am sure they want to kick off the new campus with some events in Hickory and make it feel a part of the App family. Outside of L-R I am not aware of any place that could have a realistic amount of people in attendance and close to DI facilities with somewhat turnkey readiness. If we pay L-R enough I am sure they would take the money but I am also sure L-R is not overly happy with App moving into Hickory with the effort we are and if I were them I would set a very high rent if we were to use their basketball court.

Could the convention center off I-40 have high enough ceilings and floor space to bring in a few thousand seats. The special events center at Greensboro has that sort of capacity. I have never been inside the facility in Hickory to verify.
Would hope it’s at Lenoir Rhyne. They renovated their arena recently and holds 3,200. Playing in a convention center is AAU circuit/Myrtle Beach community college type vibes.

Instead of paying rent to play at someone else’s gym 1.25 hours from campus, let’s renovate Varsity a little bit and play there some.
$370M of planned improvements to campus over the next 5 years and we can’t find any dollars to renovate Varsity? Which is used by numerous programs/colleges/ROTC.

State plays at Reynolds, UNC plays at their old gym…etc.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:05 pm

NC State plays at Reynolds due to students not making trek to PNC for some non-conference games. I believe UNC has only played like one game in Carmichael for some anniversary deal or ot was COVID. Why play at Varsity when Holmes is on campus. Makes no sense to me. Just my opinion.
NC State is a pretty me example of why am average basketball school, at best, should never move one of their revenue generating sports off-campus.

The UNC-Wofford game in 2019 was played in Carmichael because of a scheduling conflict at the Smith Center.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:53 pm

LR fought our efforts for decades and is still only grudgingly accepting the reality.We will play at the Tarlton Center .It seats in excess of 3,000 .Other celebration,recruitment and fundraising events will precede the game.It is a great opportunityto grow support for the program.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:40 pm

311neers wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:24 am
appfanjj wrote:
In Hickory?
I am sure they want to kick off the new campus with some events in Hickory and make it feel a part of the App family. Outside of L-R I am not aware of any place that could have a realistic amount of people in attendance and close to DI facilities with somewhat turnkey readiness. If we pay L-R enough I am sure they would take the money but I am also sure L-R is not overly happy with App moving into Hickory with the effort we are and if I were them I would set a very high rent if we were to use their basketball court.

Could the convention center off I-40 have high enough ceilings and floor space to bring in a few thousand seats. The special events center at Greensboro has that sort of capacity. I have never been inside the facility in Hickory to verify.
Would hope it’s at Lenoir Rhyne. They renovated their arena recently and holds 3,200. Playing in a convention center is AAU circuit/Myrtle Beach community college type vibes.

Instead of paying rent to play at someone else’s gym 1.25 hours from campus, let’s renovate Varsity a little bit and play there some.
$370M of planned improvements to campus over the next 5 years and we can’t find any dollars to renovate Varsity? Which is used by numerous programs/colleges/ROTC.

Reynold's is home to the Wolfpack women and Carmichael is home to the lady Tar Heels. So they are already set up for basketball fulltime. Varsity is not. It's a great wrestling venue, but would be a waste to turn it back into a basketball arena for just a few games.
WE ARE YOSEF!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:43 pm

appfanjj wrote:
In Hickory?

I believe it will be played here:
https://www.cvcc.edu/Campus-Resources/S ... -13-16.pdf

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:48 pm

I knew CVCC had basketball and more power to them for it but that looks to be less seating than a local high school. I think Newton-Con0ver High has a bigger basketball seating area. I assume the stands are showing 5 rows deep.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:03 pm

311neers wrote:
appfanjj wrote:
In Hickory?

The only reason Varsity isn't torn down is because of the creek under it.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:10 pm

Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:48 pm
I knew CVCC had basketball and more power to them for it but that looks to be less seating than a local high school. I think Newton-Con0ver High has a bigger basketball seating area. I assume the stands are showing 5 rows deep.
Tarlton seats 2100 for basketball.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:45 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:53 pm
LR fought our efforts for decades and is still only grudgingly accepting the reality.We will play at the Tarlton Center .It seats in excess of 3,000 .Other celebration,recruitment and fundraising events will precede the game.It is a great opportunityto grow support for the program.
I guess what appears to be 5 rows of seats is not 5 rows of seats. If it hold 3,000 then we have more than we need and it might promote a planned scarcity that makes the ticket a big in demand.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:03 pm
311neers wrote:
appfanjj wrote:
In Hickory?

What does the creek has to do with that. If anything that seems to be the reason to tear it down. I need more.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:54 pm

Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:46 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
311neers wrote:
appfanjj wrote:
In Hickory?

What does the creek has to do with that. If anything that seems to be the reason to tear it down. I need more.
If you tear down the buildings or the tennis court on that route, you can't build back on top of it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:01 pm

If you Google images of Tarleton Center, you’ll see that it will work just fine.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:11 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:54 pm
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:46 pm
Tru2ASU wrote:
311neers wrote:

If you tear down the buildings or the tennis court on that route, you can't build back on top of it.
That makes sense, but for the sake of the creek I would not be upset if Varsity was taken down.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:17 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:01 pm
If you Google images of Tarleton Center, you’ll see that it will work just fine.
I know I am going to sound like someone else on this board, but I did not pull up any images using Google. I found the landing page for the center and then a lot of links to Tarleton State Univ.

But 2-3,000 will work for us and might get some buzz going in Hickory. It is worth doing every now and then.

I think the video below personally wraps up my view of having athletics once a year in Hickory.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a4a47a77- ... bc0ed06816

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:21 pm

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:35 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:21 pm
That is much nicer than I thought it would be based on the diagram posted above. They likely have a over the court scoreboard before we did in Holmes. :-)

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:58 pm

It's about the size of Coastal's gym and the exact same scoreboard.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:55 pm

Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:35 pm
AppinVA wrote:
That is much nicer than I thought it would be based on the diagram posted above. They likely have a over the court scoreboard before we did in Holmes. :-)
It looks like the old one that used to be in Varsity. Without the Sagebrush ads on the corners.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:27 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:55 pm
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:35 pm
AppinVA wrote:
It looks like the old one that used to be in Varsity. Without the Sagebrush ads on the corners.
It is old school but it works and that whole place looks very nice for CC level of play and better than I expected. Depending on the day I might be willing to drive to Hickory just to see this place while I support App.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:16 pm

How about a Thursday night? I have been in Tarleton on several occasions.It is plenty "nice" and again a good opportunity not only for the AppState/Hickory campus but the basketball program and of course The Yosef Club.It is fertile ground .I will see you there!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”