Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB suffers key staff loss

asu66
School: Appalachian State

MBB suffers key staff loss

Unread post by asu66 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:35 pm

It's now official as scooped by Hurricane Yosef! App State MBB is losing assistant coach Patrick Moynihan. He's the new head coach at Spartanburg Methodist.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Long-time assistant coach of the App State men's basketball team, Patrick Moynihan, has been announced as the new head coach of Spartanburg Methodist College.

Moynihan has been an assistant to head coach Dustin Kerns for the last six seasons, including two years at Presbyterian and four years at App State.

"We are really excited for Patrick," Kerns said. "Spartanburg Methodist made a slam-dunk hire! He has worked really hard and has done a great job for App State basketball. He has been my assistant for all 6 years of being a head coach and I am so grateful for his contributions. He is going to be an outstanding head coach and I couldn't be happier for my friend, Patrick Moynihan."

During his time in the High Country, Moynihan has helped lead the Mountaineers to three winning seasons, including a Sun Belt Championship in 2021 that led to the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2000. Prior to that season, Moynihan was named to the NABC Under Armour 30 Under 30 Team, which honors 30 of the most outstanding coaches under the age of 30.

During the 2022-23 season, Moynihan helped propel App State's defense to its best field goal percentage clip (.403) since 1960. The Mountaineers led the conference in this category.

Before his six-year stint alongside Kerns, Moynihan worked as a graduate assistant at Troy during the 2016-17 season. While with the Trojans, he helped spark a 13-win improvement, culminating in the Sun Belt Tournament title for the Trojans and a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Moynihan also worked as a graduate assistant at North Alabama and worked as an assistant coach at Buford High School in Buford, Ga. and with the Atlanta All-Stars AAU.

He graduated from North Georgia in 2013 with a degree in finance and management. Moynihan also was a four-year letter-winner on the North Georgia basketball team.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB suffers key staff loss

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon May 22, 2023 7:12 pm

Moynihan has interviewed at least the past two off seasons for a head coach job so at least Kerns has known this was coming.

I'm confident Kerns has already made some key calls -- maybe even interviews already.

Also, our Sun Belt tournament run can be attributed heavily to Moynihan. During the 4 game run, Moynihan slept a total of 6 hours because we was up scouting and game planning for the next opponent every night -- and then helping run the walk through for said game plan. We threw a lot of different things at opponents that tournament that we hadn't showed all season.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”