Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pensacola

Cro-Magnon App
School: Appalachian State

Re: Pensacola

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:00 pm

Nashville don’t want it.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:27 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:22 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:14 am
Hilarious that so many here are complaining about the location. It was put there under the same reasoning that Asheville hosts the SOCON tournament…small town destination that will go all out as hosts. Everyone loved the reasoning at the time. Now people want to change it back to a big city with no atmosphere. It’s been in a big city with no atmosphere before. People are never happy. Expecting it to grow into a spectacle event in just 2 years is unreasonable.
That's a fair point. However, its current location is a long stretch for many in the conference. Attendance looked pretty decent last night because Mobile is only 50+ miles away. I wonder what a JMU-ODU final would have produced. In terms of a central location, Atlanta probably works best but I doubt it would get the attention it gets in Pensacola. I agree there is more to selecting a location than proximity to the mid point of a conference.
If we moved it to Atlanta two years from now people on this board would complain it's a tournament lost in a city that barely knows it's happening...or that Georgia State has an unfair fan advantage...or that I-85 through South Carolina is so bad they don't feel safe driving down there. As facetious as #3 was, my point is there is no perfect solution. Pensacola is FINE as the host site. People just feel the need to grumble about everything.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 pm

Funny about whining since Pensacola's big appeal was that they have two venues (the downtown arena and the JuCo arena nearby). After the first year, 2021, coaches whined about the JuCo arena so it was dropped.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:53 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 pm
Funny about whining since Pensacola's big appeal was that they have two venues (the downtown arena and the JuCo arena nearby). After the first year, 2021, coaches whined about the JuCo arena so it was dropped.
I remember that first year and was wondering if I had dreamt about using two arenas.

It likely helps the players to have a day off in between games but its not great for fans if they have to spend 4-5 days at least in Pensacola. Could be a lot worse plays to be for such a time but still that can get pricey.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:56 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:53 pm
T-Dog wrote:
I remember that first year and was wondering if I had dreamt about using two arenas.

It likely helps the players to have a day off in between games but its not great for fans if they have to spend 4-5 days at least in Pensacola. Could be a lot worse plays to be for such a time but still that can get pricey.
Pensacola is fine for a "west" host. Would like for the The east to be represented as well with an alternate location. Charleston is another destination with 2 capable arenas (North Charleston arena and C of C). Both great venues with plenty of hotels. We've seen Charleston get behind basketball, whether thats 30 win C of C this year (most games sell out) or the Charleston Classic in November (again, most of those games sell out). Also, who has ever had a bad time in Charleston?! It was 85 degrees this week, waters warm, Shem creek is packed! I hope our East division Universities push for an "east" destination location soon.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:03 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:56 pm
hapapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Pensacola is fine for a "west" host. Would like for the The east to be represented as well with an alternate location. Charleston is another destination with 2 capable arenas (North Charleston arena and C of C). Both great venues with plenty of hotels. We've seen Charleston get behind basketball, whether thats 30 win C of C this year (most games sell out) or the Charleston Classic in November (again, most of those games sell out). Also, who has ever had a bad time in Charleston?! It was 85 degrees this week, waters warm, Shem creek is packed! I hope our East division Universities push for an "east" destination location soon.
Not questioning your idea, but do we, the Sun Belt, want to hold a conference tournament at a venue at an arena occupied by a school that belongs to a different Division 1 conference?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:03 pm
311neers wrote:
hapapp wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Not questioning your idea, but do we, the Sun Belt, want to hold a conference tournament at a venue at an arena occupied by a school that belongs to a different Division 1 conference?
Might be some push back there for sure. Still have the North Charleston arena as well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm

Just curious , who has actually attended the Tournament in Pensacola?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm
Just curious , who has actually attended the Tournament in Pensacola?
No one?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:17 pm

It is a nine hour drive .The arena is not near hotels , you have to drive about 15-20 minutes.Back and forth gets a little old unless we are playing .Pensacola is not Pensacola Beach , where the hotels and restaurants are located.There is a Whataburger several blocks from the arena for late night snacking.The seafood selection on the beach is good , prices steep as are hotels .I rented a condo and came out better. I just think we can do better and make it more attractive to more people for these among other reasons.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:17 pm
It is a nine hour drive .The arena is not near hotels , you have to drive about 15-20 minutes.Back and forth gets a little old unless we are playing .Pensacola is not Pensacola Beach , where the hotels and restaurants are located.There is a Whataburger several blocks from the arena for late night snacking.The seafood selection on the beach is good , prices steep as are hotels .I rented a condo and came out better. I just think we can do better and make it more attractive to more people for these among other reasons.
Yeah...I think we can do better. I think Myrtle Beach would be cheap and easy for everyone including the west teams. Hotels are cheap and they would probably pay to have it....probably more than espn pays to televise our championship game. Alternate between Myrtle Beach and wherever the west wants their game. Each division should get to choose their destination.

We(Sunbelt) needs to give up the Monday night championship game to play in the same week as the rest of the peers we want to be associated with. Even if it means our championship game is on ESPN+. (Bonus Championship game could be on Sunday) Does anyone know what our ratings were for the Sunbelt championship game? I think it takes a week for the tv numbers to come out.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:51 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:17 pm
Yeah...I think we can do better. I think Myrtle Beach would be cheap and easy for everyone including the west teams. Hotels are cheap and they would probably pay to have it....probably more than espn pays to televise our championship game. Alternate between Myrtle Beach and wherever the west wants their game. Each division should get to choose their destination.

We(Sunbelt) needs to give up the Monday night championship game to play in the same week as the rest of the peers we want to be associated with. Even if it means our championship game is on ESPN+. (Bonus Championship game could be on Sunday) Does anyone know what our ratings were for the Sunbelt championship game? I think it takes a week for the tv numbers to come out.
Why go to Myrtle when Charleston is right down the street? Does Myrtle even have an arena? That's like going to Western over App.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:00 am

Honestly even with a great destination it's a big commit to head down for the weekend when you're not even sure if App will be playing and/or likely can't attend all the games. I know there is a fair amount of inflexibility with the ESPN aspect but Fri/Sat/Sun for Quarters to Final where I knew App would be in would be much easier to commit too. Hold the prior rounds at Campus sites Monday/Wednesday perhaps.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:08 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:33 pm
Winning team and bigger/more regional city. Pensacola is close to only Southern Miss

Nashville or Atlanta needs to be option 1/2.(wherever SEC isn’t)
Charlotte (if ACC is greensboro), easy flights, multiple arenas.
Charleston (actual destination with great arenas)
Birmingham (pretty center of all teams)
New Orleans/Memphis last ditch efforts
311neers wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:51 am
What Eastern conference member voted for Pensacola? Same thing. Maybe alternate between the two if we can’t do the Nashville ATL, CLT because all the arenas are used up.
Charleston has 2-3 arenas capable in a 4 mile radius. Birmingham would be a solid location option but not sure if they have the arena for it. No one wants to travel to Memphis but that could be a well located option.
311neers wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:23 am
Nashville and Charlotte/Atlanta. Go where the ACC/SEC isnt that year. If they want to do destinations.... Keep the west happy with Pensacola and rotate with Charleston every 3 years or so. To my knowledge, Charleston doesn't host any conference tourneys and has 2 great arenas to host with.
311neers wrote:
311neers wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:51 am
Why go to Myrtle when Charleston is right down the street? Does Myrtle even have an arena? That's like going to Western over App.
We get it, you want Charleston.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:50 pm

agentpaul001 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:00 am
Honestly even with a great destination it's a big commit to head down for the weekend when you're not even sure if App will be playing and/or likely can't attend all the games. I know there is a fair amount of inflexibility with the ESPN aspect but Fri/Sat/Sun for Quarters to Final where I knew App would be in would be much easier to commit too. Hold the prior rounds at Campus sites Monday/Wednesday perhaps.
The best atmospheres I have seen on TV are campus sites. I'm warming up to the idea .Half a dozen conferences use some kind of on campus format .Perhaps a combo as you mention . I would hope they are looking at all options.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Campus Sites are a logistical nightmare for our conference compared to the ASUN/others.

Hypothetically Texas State's Travel this year would have been:

Host Ga State -> Travel to Old Dominion -> Travel from ODU to Marshall -> travel from Marshall to Louisiana -> Travel from Louisiana to Mobile, Alabama* (*If they would have won in the semis).

That's ~3200 miles of travel in the span of 6 days

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:53 pm

Yes Myrtle has space and experience, they host big high school tournaments every year along with a college tournament.
Bring Your A Game!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:18 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm
Campus Sites are a logistical nightmare for our conference compared to the ASUN/others.

Hypothetically Texas State's Travel this year would have been:

Host Ga State -> Travel to Old Dominion -> Travel from ODU to Marshall -> travel from Marshall to Louisiana -> Travel from Louisiana to Mobile, Alabama* (*If they would have won in the semis).

That's ~3200 miles of travel in the span of 6 days
There are several formats , including a round , or two , on campus then semis/finals in Charleston ? Among others .

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:27 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:53 pm
Yes Myrtle has space and experience, they host big high school tournaments every year along with a college tournament.
Where is there an arena in Myrtle? I’m just not familiar with one. Unless it’s Coastal, but that’s way too small and they wouldn’t host at a SBC school. Medieval Times?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:29 pm

311neers wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:27 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:53 pm
Where is there an arena in Myrtle? I’m just not familiar with one. Unless it’s Coastal, but that’s way too small and they wouldn’t host at a SBC school. Medieval Times?
Based upon attendance in Pensacola, Coastal's gym would be more than large enough 🤣🤣
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”