Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SBC Tournament - MBB vs South Alabama

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: SBC Tournament - MBB vs South Alabama

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:08 pm

Non-D1 games in Kerns tenure. Not suggesting he has scheduled more non-D1 programs than other App bball coaches. I haven't really gone back to check.

2019-20: Ferrum, St. Andrews

2020-21: Carver, NC Wesleyan, Greensboro, Columbia International

2021-22: Wm Peace, Boyce, Erskine

2022-23: Warren Wilson, Carlow, Regent

Kerns is 58-58 against D1 competition.

Edit: Fox 7 in 5 years
Capel 10 in 4 years
Fancher 19 in 9 years
Peterson 14 in 5 years
Last edited by hapapp on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:20 pm

This whole year in App sports has been a disappointment. I’m laying the Blame on Doug.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:22 pm

311neers wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:32 pm
Hate I missed the game, wanted to see the boys go out on top.

Something is going on in within our program though.

You don't lose 6-7 guys you recruited in 6 mid season months if all is going well. Maybe we should take the elevator once in awhile. Hard to win games when 50% of your roster is gone and you can't practice 5 on 5.

Eads
Walker
Zocko
Hafner
Ogletree
Littleton
Teasett (Suspension and hasnt played in 15 games)
This trend concerns me. I was really hoping that we would build of our tournament entry a couple years ago, instead it seems we are slipping back to the old App State Basketball teams we all know too well. Makes no sense why so many players that he recruited have up and left. Really wonder what is going on, but whatever it is, it is not good.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:54 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:49 pm
We finish 16-16 on the year. Discounting all the non-D1 games, Kerns is 58-58 at App.
Isn’t that very “Fancher ish”?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:14 pm

Stay off the weed! Problem solved.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:36 pm

We have gotten better but our competition has, too. You can’t tell me that by watching this team, that they aren’t better than Capel or Fox teams. Still think we’re going in the right direction, but need to hold onto Huntley, Abson, Brown and Harkum. And the transfer portal is going to be crucial. Not sure we can land many freshman that will be impact players right away but Abson happened so who knows.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:02 pm

twas a tough season at 16-16 and 9-9..13-16 vs d1 competition. However, i dont view this as a slide...our program is not worse...we just had lots of roster attrition from key contributors and played with a bunch of transrfers that had learn how to play together. i do think our offense needs special attention heading into next season. still believe kerns is the right guy...his worse season is .500 which is better than any season from fox or caple...except caples first season i believe

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:43 pm

App Football and MBB had something in common this season: they both played well enough to keep many games tight, but couldn't close enough of them out.

I'm concerned about team culture, to be honest. Losing this many players mid-season in consecutive years is concerning.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:02 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:36 pm
We have gotten better but our competition has, too. You can’t tell me that by watching this team, that they aren’t better than Capel or Fox teams. Still think we’re going in the right direction, but need to hold onto Huntley, Abson, Brown and Harkum. And the transfer portal is going to be crucial. Not sure we can land many freshman that will be impact players right away but Abson happened so who knows.
No one doubts that the program is better than under the previous coaches. I don't know if we're going in the right direction if we essentially have had a similar result in year four as in year one. Against peer competition (D1) we are exactly .500. Again, better than his two predecessors but not sure we're seeing any movement upward beyond what was established in year 1. He does have a winning overall record in the Sun Belt by three or four games.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:03 pm

Can't believe TX State beat ODU by 30+ in game 3. A week removed from ODU beating both Marshall and USM.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:47 pm

Kerns' worst team was probably better than Capel and Fox's best teams. Disappointing end to the season, but we were still competitive, fun to watch (at times), and attendance is over double what it was under Capel and Fox. All this in a rebuilding year. Most rebuilding years in the past were single win seasons where we didn't qualify for the tournament.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:47 pm
Kerns' worst team was probably better than Capel and Fox's best teams. Disappointing end to the season, but we were still competitive, fun to watch (at times), and attendance is over double what it was under Capel and Fox. All this in a rebuilding year. Most rebuilding years in the past were single win seasons where we didn't qualify for the tournament.
Let’s hope next year is not a rebuilding year.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:28 pm

appvette wrote:
You funny

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:49 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:28 pm
appvette wrote:
You funny
What part do you disagree with?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:51 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 pm
appvette wrote:
8+ new faces, rebuilding year for sure.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:58 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 pm
appvette wrote:
A case could be made that it already is. As things appear now, we'll have a "Spring '23" starting five w/Abson, Harcom, Huntley, Brown and Mantis as our "iron-man" squad (assuming we can hang onto all five. I suppose there's a really looong-shot at retaining Teasett, assuming he can escape Kerns' dog house while remaining eligible. I won't bet on him.) Without Teasett, we'll likely add eight new players. That'll require a mix of recruits (preps, JuCos and grad transfers) to balance future recruiting classes. All of that throws the collective "us" back into culture and chemistry concerns.

D-I Collegiate Basketball NLI Signing Dates...April 12 to May 17, 2023
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:00 am

At least Kerns is recruiting true PG's for next season...maybe this is a de facto abandonment of the "everybody on the court is a ball handler" philosophy?

Hope springs eternal...

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:21 am

back court needs a lot of work. Harcum took a step forward this year, but needs to be more consistent and able to create his own shots or be able to drive to basket to kick out to shooters. Brown is a phenomenal athlete and is the only player capable of creating shots and getting to rim, but has no range. Having a true PG would be huge, one who can see the court and distribute the ball effectively but still be a threat to score from anywhere on the court is something we do not have currently

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:41 am

Is there even such a thing as a "rebuilding year" anymore? To me that would mean you bring in 4-6 recruits, they either play a little, redshirt or sit. Then as sophomores they either crack the lineup or play big minutes off the bench. You hope that the veteran guys have stayed and the team develops. In reality you hope the good young guys don't get a big head and look to immediately transfer to a better deal where they expect immediate playing time. If your program is solid and your coach somehow brought in 3-4 studs those guys probably vamoose and coach has to reload from the portal. Wash, rinse and repeat. No rebuild except in terms of one year at a time.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:56 am

At this point you can't really think of college bball in four year time frames. It's down to two. You have two years with an athlete before they transfer for pt, declare/,go pro, get lured by any nil, or don't pan it and get relegated to the bench as you bring in new recruits and transfers. So to me, every two years is a rebuild now. This goes for everyone top to bottom, not just mid majors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”