Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB @ Ga Southern Fri 2/24 7pm

T-Dog

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB @ Ga Southern Fri 2/24 7pm

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:15 am

The only thing from Kerns I wish would change is either to get an offensive minded assistant or focus during the off-season on implementing a more sophisticated offensive system. The Sun Belt is changing to being more of a high tempo offensive league with Marshall, JMU and ODU, so IMO there needs to be more emphasis there in order to compete rather than playing rock ball and first to 65 wins.

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:54 am

APPChad90 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 pm
Anyone not on the Kerns bandwagon just doesn’t get it and know hoops and the challenges we have. He’s building the right way for long term success in my opinion. The talent on the roster continues to get better each year with his direction. If you don’t like his style then that’s on you. Our consistency with defensive numbers continue and the quality of talent grows. Maybe we don’t get the uber talented athlete yet but he found a gem in Abson. Shame on Florida coaches for letting him leave the state. Stay the course and we will reap the benefits of Kerns and his staff.
What do you see as "long term success?" He has brought some stability to the program and if the team can beat USA, he will have produced 4 winning seasons in a row. That's certainly a positive. What's the next step? Do we get beyond the 17-13 seasons? I'd rather have that than what we had in the two previous regimes, but is that the best we can expect?

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 am

Let's not forget with Harcum this is the first opportunity he's really had to play conference games and his stats have vastly improved with the extra playing time. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a similar jump next season.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:23 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:15 am
The only thing from Kerns I wish would change is either to get an offensive minded assistant or focus during the off-season on implementing a more sophisticated offensive system. The Sun Belt is changing to being more of a high tempo offensive league with Marshall, JMU and ODU, so IMO there needs to be more emphasis there in order to compete rather than playing rock ball and first to 65 wins.
I kind of like the contrarian approach though.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:51 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 am
Let's not forget with Harcum this is the first opportunity he's really had to play conference games and his stats have vastly improved with the extra playing time. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for a similar jump next season.
There's a lot to like about Harcum's game and he has played the second most minutes behind Gregory. He had a real strong five game stretch where he scored 20 points or more in three of them. Over the last 5-6 games he's been more up and down. I would think we would need a strong game from him against USA for us to have a chance.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:29 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:15 am
IMO, that's exactly why he's playing the way we do. If we take the high tempo teams strength away, that is how we will compete.

I don't mind the system. But, we do need to get another Delph/Shabazz that can create their own shot.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:42 pm
Thinking back to last year and losing by 6? or so to GS , Huntley who was concussed after the previous nights all-time cheap shot,and had to sit out had become a substantial contributor .My thought driving home listening to GSU beat LaLa was that if he had played we might just have won the thing again.So yeah , expectations have been elevated , and that's a good thing .Perspective historically , shows however ,that we are going to the Dance once every 20 years.The balance , perhaps is somewhere in the middle.
Just a question. Obviously all of us fans want App to go to the tournament every year, but what is a realistic expectation for a program like App? Every 5 years? 10 years? Surely we can do a lot better than once every 20 years.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am
Stonewall wrote:
Thinking back to last year and losing by 6? or so to GS , Huntley who was concussed after the previous nights all-time cheap shot,and had to sit out had become a substantial contributor .My thought driving home listening to GSU beat LaLa was that if he had played we might just have won the thing again.So yeah , expectations have been elevated , and that's a good thing .Perspective historically , shows however ,that we are going to the Dance once every 20 years.The balance , perhaps is somewhere in the middle.
Just a question. Obviously all of us fans want App to go to the tournament every year, but what is a realistic expectation for a program like App? Every 5 years? 10 years? Surely we can do a lot better than once every 20 years.
Realistic is building a program that wins the conference at least once every four years and competes the other three. That's not an impossible task for our program.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:35 pm

How many comparable mid level conferences are there? I think for expectations you need apples to apples comparisons. Are there other comparable teams who are winning their conference championships and going to the tournament? It's completely unrealistic to expect us to win the Belt every season and winning it every 5 years is still lofty. Being a 1 bid conference is extremely difficult to make the tournament. You basically need to be a king of a crappy conference to get in.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:43 pm

Here is a thought. We were a very simple inbounds pass away from beating WakeForest who is a bubble team for the at large bid. We are not that far away. JMU had Virginia almost beat at Virginia. They are not that far away. This conference, if it can stay together for a while, will get better and so will App. We are not far off from being a two bid conference and that has to be the goal for a 14 team league.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:46 pm

One other thought. To get TV ratings. I would not I t have all the Sunbelt basketball games on the same night. We need, Marshall, JMU, ODU and Southern miss fans watching our games and vice versa to help with viewership ratings.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:49 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:08 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am
Stonewall wrote:
Realistic is building a program that wins the conference at least once every four years and competes the other three. That's not an impossible task for our program.
That's asking us to be better / more consistent than Davidson who has several Elite 8 appearances, sinks all their private funding into basketball, and had the rare lifetime coach that didn't leave for a bigger program. Is that realistic? They have a similar record as we do this year and they certainly don't compete for a tournament bid every year.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:54 pm

Here are three conferences where certain teams had decade or so long runs where they won their conference every few years. I didn't even go through all the conferences. I just used the list of conferences on the standings section on ESPN. There are more examples where 1-3 schools went back and forth winning the conference championships for a decade or more. It isn't unreasonable. It happens quite a lot.

"Championships"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_E ... on%2C%20VT)-,Championships,-by%20School

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sky_C ... y%20school

"Performance"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_West_ ... C%20Nevada)-,Performance,-by%20school

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:15 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:43 pm
Here is a thought. We were a very simple inbounds pass away from beating WakeForest who is a bubble team for the at large bid. We are not that far away. JMU had Virginia almost beat at Virginia. They are not that far away. This conference, if it can stay together for a while, will get better and so will App. We are not far off from being a two bid conference and that has to be the goal for a 14 team league.
The SBC regular season champ, USM, is likely a 13 seed. Until we see the SBC champ a sub 10 seed, we are aways from being a two bid league. No doubt, the additions have made the SBC a much better conference than it has been and I do believe some day its possible to be a two bid league if the newcomers force the others to upgrade their bball programs.

The impact of newcomers: Conference NET--2020-2021 18th (GA State 130)
2021-2022 17th (TX State 127)
2022-2023 14th (Marshall 77)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”