Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB vs Texas State, Thurs 2/16 6:30pm

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs Texas State, Thurs 2/16 6:30pm

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 am

I'm not sure which game it was, maybe South Alabama but the announcers pointed out that the coach provided some free concessions to, I believe the first 500 students. Other schools apparently have the same issue and are trying things to entice students to attend. Some on here want to point to the record. I really don't think that really matters. Most students don't keep up with that stuff. If it's fun they will attend. A majority at football games don't get into it to the level that old obsessive alumni do. I realize that the point of concessions is to make a profit but how many times have you seen a minor league baseball team offer cheap deals to people/families to boost attendance? Give students a drink/bottle of water and a hot dog or something. Most will probably buy something else.

Regarding the game. I almost posted before it started that I felt it would be a hard fought 5 point win. Our offense still isn't fluid but we got the W.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:12 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:16 am
Good way to finish. Got nervous for a brief second.

Student attendance is a joke, and I don't just mean at App State games. I officiate basketball for VHSL, and you hardly see students attending high school games like they did years ago. I watch some random mid-major games on ESPN + and I see hardly any students at some of those games, and some of the teams are pretty decent with good records. I hate it too because high school and college basketball atmospheres are driven by the students in my opinion.
Watched the end of JMU-ODU, great turnout from JMU students. Looked like a very sparse student turnout in Boone.
Very sparse. Had free t-shirts laid out on part of their seats and the only reason they were all gone is that people started taking multiple shirts.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:47 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:16 am
Good way to finish. Got nervous for a brief second.

Student attendance is a joke, and I don't just mean at App State games. I officiate basketball for VHSL, and you hardly see students attending high school games like they did years ago. I watch some random mid-major games on ESPN + and I see hardly any students at some of those games, and some of the teams are pretty decent with good records. I hate it too because high school and college basketball atmospheres are driven by the students in my opinion.
Watched the end of JMU-ODU, great turnout from JMU students. Looked like a very sparse student turnout in Boone.
I hate to admit it because I dislike the school, but JMU students do a pretty good job at supporting all of their sports. I've been to soccer games with pretty decent student turnout. When they have field hockey games, quite a decent bit as well.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:55 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 am
I'm not sure which game it was, maybe South Alabama but the announcers pointed out that the coach provided some free concessions to, I believe the first 500 students. Other schools apparently have the same issue and are trying things to entice students to attend. Some on here want to point to the record. I really don't think that really matters. Most students don't keep up with that stuff. If it's fun they will attend. A majority at football games don't get into it to the level that old obsessive alumni do. I realize that the point of concessions is to make a profit but how many times have you seen a minor league baseball team offer cheap deals to people/families to boost attendance? Give students a drink/bottle of water and a hot dog or something. Most will probably buy something else.

Regarding the game. I almost posted before it started that I felt it would be a hard fought 5 point win. Our offense still isn't fluid but we got the W.
I think times have also just changed, and interest to attend games from students just isn't there anymore. Like you said it's not just about record. I was in school during the somewhat similar record days of Fancher, and me and a group of guys would drive from Kensington Meadows, park at the River Street deck, and walk to the HCC on some pretty chilly nights. Didn't really care who they played, it was just something fun to do.

Definitely have to get creative with the promotion nights to draw in more students.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:13 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:12 am

Very sparse. Had free t-shirts laid out on part of their seats and the only reason they were all gone is that people started taking multiple shirts.
That is pretty dumb. Just hand out shirts to the students that actually attend the game.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:23 am

Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:55 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 am

I think times have also just changed, and interest to attend games from students just isn't there anymore. Like you said it's not just about record. I was in school during the somewhat similar record days of Fancher, and me and a group of guys would drive from Kensington Meadows, park at the River Street deck, and walk to the HCC on some pretty chilly nights. Didn't really care who they played, it was just something fun to do.

Definitely have to get creative with the promotion nights to draw in more students.
we should just pay someone to follow the savannah bananas for a few months.

Is it stupid and kitschy? Yes. Do they now make ~$200k/ home game for non league baseball? also yes.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 am

Don't all of the students now have some sort of app or other form of information sharing for school stuff? Not hard to put out a message regarding games. The school could do drawings during games to give away swag or other prizes to students who attend. Seems like the gate could swipe ID cards to put those students in a pool so to speak for prize drawings. I would think that they could put together a few hundred dollars worth of crap to give away. Lord people go nuts at games to catch a t-shirt shot from a cannon.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 am
Don't all of the students now have some sort of app or other form of information sharing for school stuff? Not hard to put out a message regarding games. The school could do drawings during games to give away swag or other prizes to students who attend. Seems like the gate could swipe ID cards to put those students in a pool so to speak for prize drawings. I would think that they could put together a few hundred dollars worth of crap to give away. Lord people go nuts at games to catch a t-shirt shot from a cannon.
Think we just have to win for people to get interested to show up. Consistently get to 20 wins, win the belt, make the tourney. This should* get people in the seats. Finish strong this year and pound the portal HARD next year to keep it rolling. Kerns is doing a great job, just have to tweak ft shooting and late game situations.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:37 am

311neers wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Think we just have to win for people to get interested to show up. Consistently get to 20 wins, win the belt, make the tourney. This should* get people in the seats. Finish strong this year and pound the portal HARD next year to keep it rolling. Kerns is doing a great job, just have to tweak ft shooting and late game situations.
I guess "great" is a relative thing. Given where our program was when he came on the scene, there has been a vast improvement. We do seem sort of stuck though with a "middle of the pack" syndrome. It certainly beats where we were but is there a higher ceiling? I'm certainly not suggesting we look elsewhere for a coach but given everything, is it fair to expect more?

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:38 am

Big game with ODU for the 5/6 seed. There is a marked drop in strength with those bottom four seeds. And based on the last few games Southern Alabama at 8/9 is looking like a dangerous seed for one of the top couple teams.

Most the scenarios have App either at the 6 line or 9 line so very marked difference between 2-1 and 1-2.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:42 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:38 am
Big game with ODU for the 5/6 seed. There is a marked drop in strength with those bottom four seeds. And based on the last few games Southern Alabama at 8/9 is looking like a dangerous seed for one of the top couple teams.

Most the scenarios have App either at the 6 line or 9 line so very marked difference between 2-1 and 1-2.
USA might be playing the best ball in the Belt right now. I can't believe how they demolished the #1 team in conference last night. Marshall struggled to beat GS at home and JMU had to hold off ODU at home. One would certainly have to think that one of the top four would be among the likely tourney winners but the way the last week has played out, it could/should be wide open.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:37 am
311neers wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I guess "great" is a relative thing. Given where our program was when he came on the scene, there has been a vast improvement. We do seem sort of stuck though with a "middle of the pack" syndrome. It certainly beats where we were but is there a higher ceiling? I'm certainly not suggesting we look elsewhere for a coach but given everything, is it fair to expect more?
Getting a hold of roster management would help as well. Way too many kids leaving the program. Losing 3 scholarship guys in a span of 4 months isnt going to help consistency, depth or future roster development/recruiting. I believe there is a higher ceiling, but in terms of a new coach, I don't think the grass is always greener. Every situation is different, maybe we are recruiting the wrong kids, maybe Kerns turns some away, maybe some just arent fits, but we can't continue to have this much roster turnover and sustain a winning program.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 pm

play Zocko :cry:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 pm
I believe that ship has sailed. Not sure if we left the door open or not but doesn't sound likely on a return. Just hard to build consistency when you have 6-8 new players a year on the roster. But that's the way college sports is headed, build your roster year by year and plug as needed. Have to keep Abson!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:23 pm

311neers wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 pm
I believe that ship has sailed. Not sure if we left the door open or not but doesn't sound likely on a return. Just hard to build consistency when you have 6-8 new players a year on the roster. But that's the way college sports is headed, build your roster year by year and plug as needed. Have to keep Abson!
HAVE TO keep Abson. For 3 more years.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:33 pm

Not too many years ago the only teams that worried about losing good players were the big time programs who lost the one and dones to the NBA. Now the mid tier schools have to entice good players to simply stay and not look to transfer to what are perceived to be better deals.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:34 pm

Focus has got to be on the 20K students and get them back interested in going to these games. A few hundred a game tells you all you need to know. The margins are so close in the belt, if we could crack 2000 students at these games + STH an hour or so from Boone, I could see us become a perennial top 4 with an improved atmosphere for recruits.

For a while, I thought winning would cure this, but I think we are in the hunt most games and are entertaining enough to watch. Despite our propensity to lay eggs at home in some of our larger attended games, I still think, to take the next step on the stairs, we need the students to show.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:14 pm

Student attendance is important and certainly creates the needed atmosphere in the arena. However, student attendance brings in no additional revenue. We need folks to purchase tickets. That's tough for those of us who are 3+ hours away. For those who live west of I-85 get on up that mountain. :D
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:37 pm

Moving the Saturday start time up to 1 or 2 pm might help get the off the mountain people to attend.Perhaps a Saturday game only season ticket package ? At least that's the response from my informal survey. Thursday night mountain drives in the winter are unavoidable but Saturday doesn't have to be.We aren't in a Metro area and have to cast a broader net for alumni .I maintain that students deserve courtside , television friendly seats and free popcorn .A dedicated BOGO family section , we have the capacity .And yeah winning

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:44 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:14 pm
Student attendance is important and certainly creates the needed atmosphere in the arena. However, student attendance brings in no additional revenue. We need folks to purchase tickets. That's tough for those of us who are 3+ hours away. For those who live west of I-85 get on up that mountain. :D
This is not aimed at you 93 but you can still buy seats and not attend. App Basketball needs the money . Or donate to a local church business or elementary/highschool to give away to students.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”