Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WBB vs GaSo

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: WBB vs GaSo

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:07 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:44 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Trends and historical data would be interesting but it would also require relative strength of schedules so that opponents should be factored in. We ran off several years of great football records and beat some good teams but also many dogs. Baseball had those couple of really great seasons to include the trip to the CWS where I believe we knocked off a few big names. I'm afraid that there are some trends that would not look that nice.
Umm, when did our baseball team got to Omaha and how did I miss that?
I should have been more specific. Obviously we didn't go to Omaha but we did get in the tournament and didn't we win the regional against UVA and OU? I called getting in the tournament the CWS. My bad.
We beat both Virginia and Oklahoma. But then lost to Oklahoma twice to send us home.
If I remember correctly, we were one out from beating OU to go to the CWS, but they hit a walk-off to win, then smoked us in the 3rd game. I could be misremembering. That was also while I was still in school, so over 10 years ago (*beard turns a little grayer, back aches a little more, "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas plays in the distance*)
We were a win away from going to a super regional, not the CWS.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:14 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:58 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:30 pm
Excluding wrestling I wonder what the overall records are (past 5 seasons including this one) for football, basketball (m&w), baseball, softball, volleyball and maybe T&F- not sure how that sport is tabulated. I'm thinking we are hovering at or below .500.
I try and teach spreadsheet skills in my science classes while we do some graphing. This would be a nice spreadsheet with a sheet for each sport and a row for each year and something a student could do, but I can't fit it in the curriculum that closely. Tennis and soccer have head to head matches and for T&F, XC, and golf we could list average place among all the schools at the event. The info is easy to find with all the media guides each sport should have and most go back to the beginning of the sport at App. I could set up a spreadsheet if anyone wants to help input the data. It would make an interesting look at the history of varsity sport at App State.
Trends and historical data would be interesting but it would also require relative strength of schedules so that opponents should be factored in. We ran off several years of great football records and beat some good teams but also many dogs. Baseball had those couple of really great seasons to include the trip to the CWS where I believe we knocked off a few big names. I'm afraid that there are some trends that would not look that nice.
Umm, when did our baseball team got to Omaha and how did I miss that?
I should have been more specific. Obviously we didn't go to Omaha but we did get in the tournament and didn't we win the regional against UVA and OU? I called getting in the tournament the CWS. My bad.
Gotcha, no problem. I was just really worried that somehow we managed to get to Omaha and I missed it or forgot it. You may actually be correct in that the regionals are part of the CWS, I just only think of Omaha and the final 8 as the CWS. I do remember that regional, which is as close as we have ever gotten if memory serves me. Hopefully this will be a special season but the Belt is nothing to sneeze at in baseball, it is far and away the sport throughout the conference.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:33 pm

This may be the Sun Belts best sport overall where several teams may have opportunity for at-large bids in field of 64.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm

We also lost in New Orleans decades back , a game or so away from advancing, if memory serves...

teaasu76

Unread post by teaasu76 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:59 pm

In the mid 70's, I think 75 before there were Super Regionals we lost to Miss. St. in Starkville. A win would have put us in Omaha.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:40 pm

The point being , I suppose , that being it has been done , that it can be done.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:13 am

CCU proved it a few years back. Mid majors can win in baseball. Even though they generally don't advance to the end due to the difference in pitching depth it can be done. A smaller mid major type basketball team might just need a couple of stud players and roll guys who just mesh at the right time to get hot and make a run. Football is just a totally different animal. Lack of athletes and the gauntlet of a late season will ultimately hurt the smaller team's chances.

We were a baseball family for many years and did the whole travel and school thing. It all came down to pitching. I saw many a game where one guy could absolutely dictate the game.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:35 pm

We had two really good week end starters the last time we made a run at it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Getting back to WBB. We lost against ODU. Had a chance to tie with seconds to go and throw the inbounds pass away.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”