Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB @ South Alabama, Sat 2/11 6pm

appvette
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB @ South Alabama, Sat 2/11 6pm

Unread post by appvette » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:09 pm

Why are you talking about last year? Completely irrelevant to this year. Marshall and USM are both 11-2 out of conference this year. Those two plus JMU are top 3 in NET ranking this year. Those are facts for this year regardless of how good App is. The Sun Belt is now much more difficult.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:47 pm

I have seen every team multiple times .I believe the standings paint an accurate picture , at least up to now.Those three plus LaLa are the cream of the crop.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:00 pm

The Sunbelt is not that far off but zero respect. JMU darn near beat Virginia and we all but beat WakeForest. If our three point shooting just wakes up a little we could make a run for the title. We were ice cold Saturday and they were red hot. These things can change. I definitely have not given up on this team this year. We can make a run.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:24 am

appvette wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:09 pm
Why are you talking about last year? Completely irrelevant to this year. Marshall and USM are both 11-2 out of conference this year. Those two plus JMU are top 3 in NET ranking this year. Those are facts for this year regardless of how good App is. The Sun Belt is now much more difficult.
I thought your point (with your reference to CUSA) was that App needed to pick up it's game given that we picked up some good teams from CUSA. The intention of my reply was that these teams were not good in CUSA. They did something in the off-season coming into SBC that made them significantly better than last year (and other SBC teams did not)...either great recruiting classes/transfers, new coaches, etc...as I do not believe CUSA is that much better than SBC in past years.
Personally, the So. Miss turnaround is somewhat amazing. They had only one win in conference last year. I only follow App for basketball. I have no clue what led to turnaround (new coach, players, combination of both)
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:03 am

Sun Belt Basketball has always been really tough, athletic high flying guys/teams - different than the more academic basketball IQ SoCon type of player/teams. Ga State being down this year is abnormal also.

Adding Marshall, JMU, ODU, all have rich basketball traditions - has made it tougher, SO Miss is having a abnormal season than most anticipated.

Also adding those teams have beefed up football among other sports - be interesting to see if App State can keep up across the board in NEW Sun Belt. How many sports does App State have that will finish in the top 6 of their sport in Sun Belt play??

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:10 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:03 am
Sun Belt Basketball has always been really tough, athletic high flying guys/teams - different than the more academic basketball IQ SoCon type of player/teams. Ga State being down this year is abnormal also.

Adding Marshall, JMU, ODU, all have rich basketball traditions - has made it tougher, SO Miss is having a abnormal season than most anticipated.

Also adding those teams have beefed up football among other sports - be interesting to see if App State can keep up across the board in NEW Sun Belt. How many sports does App State have that will finish in the top 6 of their sport in Sun Belt play??
A "state of the athletics program" is probably in order.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:38 pm

Trying to remember the last Sunbelt championship outside of football , which frankly seems far away at this point.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:42 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:38 pm
Trying to remember the last Sunbelt championship outside of football , which frankly seems far away at this point.
And the Men’s Basketball title.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:46 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:36 pm
None of the teams that came over from CUSA were any good in the CUSA last year and James Madison was bottom half of CAA...so not sure what that says about our conference....or the point being made about the comment of teams coming over from CUSA or CAA.
Truth. USM was flat out horrible last year. They benefited from a couple of good transfers who, I suppose, just happened to be great fits….one from South Carolina/Mercer, and another from Ole Miss. Thise two combined with a senior who’s been in the program for a few years are the main scorers, with some help from a Jacksonville transfer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”