Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB vs James Madison, Sat 2/4 4pm

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs James Madison, Sat 2/4 4pm

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:06 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm
Feb. 2007, 5,000 people vs UNCG was the biggest home crowd that saw an App win IIRC. That was a Thursday too.

That was the game a group of students (myself included) dorm stormed before the game and put fliers under most dorm room doors. This was after a season of mostly 2k crowds.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /270532026
I was there as well. That was a heck of a team. Pretty sure we were on ESPN Bracket busters that season and lost by a point but I can’t remember who we played.
Wasn't that the year we beat Wichita State in bracket busters on a last second shot by DJ Thompson?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:06 pm
ah59396 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
Feb. 2007, 5,000 people vs UNCG was the biggest home crowd that saw an App win IIRC. That was a Thursday too.

That was the game a group of students (myself included) dorm stormed before the game and put fliers under most dorm room doors. This was after a season of mostly 2k crowds.

I was there as well. That was a heck of a team. Pretty sure we were on ESPN Bracket busters that season and lost by a point but I can’t remember who we played.
Wasn't that the year we beat Wichita State in bracket busters on a last second shot by DJ Thompson?
Yes. And it was also the year we won the San Juan Shootout by beating UVA, UCF, and Vandy. Both UVA and Vandy were at or near the top of their conferences at the time. We also beat VCU a week or two later. The year after that our record wasn’t near as strong, but we did beat Arkansas. The schedules and records are still on appstatesports.com all the way back to 2005 or so.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Speaking of UNCG; they are having a good season. To get a big crowd at home vs ETSU on Tuesday they are offering discounted tickets to faculty and staff. Not a bad promo. Does App ever do anything like this?

After the loss after the free admission game after the football game I made a comment on this very board that I felt the ticket price did not match the game day experience in my view. I hate to say that but I hold true to that feeling still. I do think doing something to bring in locals would be a good marketing program. Offer cheap tickets to faculty, staff and locals. Couple it with a donation to a food bank to make it look like the ticket price is not as low as it is but the attendance speaks for itself. I would rather have a larger crowd at $5 than the smaller crowds at $15.

And stop laying eggs when a crowd is there.
Not to mention them bumping up the price to $20 yesterday.
I know they have bills to pay but this is NOT a good look in my view. If it was a sellout, then sure, take advantage of the fan base, but less than 1/2 capacity then it should be a case of lowering prices to get more fans in.

I hate to say this I can drop $15 for a ticket to Carolina Thunderbirds, see a winner more often than not AND see at least one fight and likely a bench clearing brawl in the 3rd period. :-) (I am only half joking, but with so many alums living two hour away the cost for so many of us is not just ticket cost (over-priced or not) but travel and the need for at least one meal and likely two. It adds up and there are some costs out of the control of App State but they can control some of it with a better deal on the ticket and a better experience in Holmes.
Paying $20 for every game wouldn't upset me if that was the price they decided on, but jacking it up for a game that isn't any more important than the Troy game we went to two weeks ago doesn't make sense. What really gets me is charging kids the same price as an adult. We do it for football which I can see since every seat is in demand for many games, but with basketball begging for fans we need to make it more affordable for families.

I would offer one free ticket to local kids 10 and under with a paying adult. This might actually help get locals to show up on a more consistent basis. Of course they would need to promote this for it to work. We aren't local so I wouldn't personally gain from this idea, but we need people from Watauga and the immediate counties around it to show up game to game.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am

I'm not sure where the rose colored glasses for Teasett are coming from. He had a rough stretch of games prior to being sat. There are a couple games in particular where he had really bad turnovers. If his stats looked more like last year absolutely he'd be a help, but there is a reason he's not playing at the moment

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:51 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Speaking of UNCG; they are having a good season. To get a big crowd at home vs ETSU on Tuesday they are offering discounted tickets to faculty and staff. Not a bad promo. Does App ever do anything like this?

After the loss after the free admission game after the football game I made a comment on this very board that I felt the ticket price did not match the game day experience in my view. I hate to say that but I hold true to that feeling still. I do think doing something to bring in locals would be a good marketing program. Offer cheap tickets to faculty, staff and locals. Couple it with a donation to a food bank to make it look like the ticket price is not as low as it is but the attendance speaks for itself. I would rather have a larger crowd at $5 than the smaller crowds at $15.

And stop laying eggs when a crowd is there.
Not to mention them bumping up the price to $20 yesterday.
I know they have bills to pay but this is NOT a good look in my view. If it was a sellout, then sure, take advantage of the fan base, but less than 1/2 capacity then it should be a case of lowering prices to get more fans in.

I hate to say this I can drop $15 for a ticket to Carolina Thunderbirds, see a winner more often than not AND see at least one fight and likely a bench clearing brawl in the 3rd period. :-) (I am only half joking, but with so many alums living two hour away the cost for so many of us is not just ticket cost (over-priced or not) but travel and the need for at least one meal and likely two. It adds up and there are some costs out of the control of App State but they can control some of it with a better deal on the ticket and a better experience in Holmes.
Paying $20 for every game wouldn't upset me if that was the price they decided on, but jacking it up for a game that isn't any more important than the Troy game we went to two weeks ago doesn't make sense. What really gets me is charging kids the same price as an adult. We do it for football which I can see since every seat is in demand for many games, but with basketball begging for fans we need to make it more affordable for families.

I would offer one free ticket to local kids 10 and under with a paying adult. This might actually help get locals to show up on a more consistent basis. Of course they would need to promote this for it to work. We aren't local so I wouldn't personally gain from this idea, but we need people from Watauga and the immediate counties around it to show up game to game.
If they want basketball to catch on and be better attended like Football, they need to sell the experience first. The product on the court isn't yet where it needs to be to make a lot of people truly show up, so let it be a fun activity for a family. Saturday had a great atmosphere, and games like that could lay a foundation for a good turnout on a regular basis, but charging $20 for a 3 year old is fleecing out families and not going to encourage them showing up frequently. $80 for a family of 4 just to get in the door for 2 hours of entertainment is pretty steep.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 am

"$80 for a family of 4 just to get in the door for 2 hours of entertainment is pretty steep."

What entertainment?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:31 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 am
"$80 for a family of 4 just to get in the door for 2 hours of entertainment is pretty steep."

What entertainment?
The other teams offense.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:17 am

ah59396 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

We beat Witchita State ,there , in ESPN bracket busters , by two points.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:33 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 am

What entertainment?
Maybe activity rather than entertainment would have been the better choice in words

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”