Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB vs Marshall - Thurs 2/2 6:30pm

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs Marshall - Thurs 2/2 6:30pm

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:10 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:48 am
Donovan Gregory is the last Allison recruit and will be gone in the next month; Kerns and his staff haven’t shown the ability to recruit to bring in the type of talent to compete in this league either.
We currently sit in the upper half of the league. I would say we are competing and it’s not solely because of Donovan. It is fair to say overall his team have been middle of the road and inconsistent. The test moving forward is his ability to recruit and keep high school talent. I don’t think a formula for long term success is fielding portal based or grad transfers.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:54 am
Just a personal opinion. We have a decent team, not a great team. We have an above average defensive squad. .
Offensively, we have 2 or 3 above average 3 point shooters when open (not when they have to create it on their own). We have a couple of guys that can drive to the basket...and we have a big man that can score decently when near the basket. Personally, I believe for the team to be successful the rest of the season, we have to be more dedicated to dribble and drive as opposed to the higher ball screen. Work the higher ball screen into the mix. Last night, we fared well on dribble and drive. Marsha defense was for the big man to move to help..so big men got easy buckets..when that was not open we got pretty open looks at 3 point line due to defense helping...For some reason, we did not do that enough in both halves.
However, if teams play us man to man, I believe that is the best strategy....
From the sofa chair coach and office boy🤣🤣 🤣🤣🤣
I pretty much agree with this analysis. I would add, if you look at the ratings, RPI, KP, NET... we are a below average team. Last night was (I think) a great example: Marshall's offense just looked so much better. I don't the first thing about basketball offensive strategy, so I'll only say I wish CJ could add an in the paint component to his game and not hangout so much in the corner waiting to shoot a 3.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm

Offensive schemes needs to be a focus in the offseason. Defense is there, but the offense looks under-developed much of the time. It was in stark contrast to Marshall's ball movement and positioning.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 am
2,700 attendance.

Again…where are the students? We have over 18,000 of them and only 5%* of them show up.

*this is an eyeball estimate of 1k students vs 1,500 public (baselines vs sidelines). It isn’t meant to be exact only to illustrate a point.
Kerns is dealing with a massive building project. There hasn't been any buzz (no pun intended) around the program in at least 15 years. There's virtually no marketing for the games. I legitimately wonder what percentage of our students know when we're playing. Last night was a big game, but there didn't seem to be any push to get folks (students or community members out).

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:27 pm

I found walking around the Holmes Center back in November during the MTE, you would have no idea there's a game about to happen.

The physical promotion just isn't there.

There were lawn signs about what you couldn't bring in next to the steps, but more than 10 feet away you couldn't read them.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:00 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Donovan Gregory is the last Allison recruit and will be gone in the next month; Kerns and his staff haven’t shown the ability to recruit to bring in the type of talent to compete in this league either.
I don't know what you mean. You're saying Gregory is the only quality player on the team? Harcum has been more valuable lately as a Sophomore, Abson looks like he might end up being the best big man in program history by the time he graduates. Zocko was the highest rated recruit (although didn't pan out). Mantis has shown he can take over a game although has off nights (but just a sophomore). Huntley is very valuable and Xavion is our best defender. I don't think I've ever seen this many underclassmen that can all contribute
heavily and even take over a game. Plus look at all the great transfers that he recruited. We have a great core returning next year that will be supplemented by transfers and some new young guys.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm

appvette wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:00 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
I don't know what you mean. You're saying Gregory is the only quality player on the team? Harcum has been more valuable lately as a Sophomore, Abson looks like he might end up being the best big man in program history by the time he graduates. Zocko was the highest rated recruit (although didn't pan out). Mantis has shown he can take over a game although has off nights (but just a sophomore). Huntley is very valuable and Xavion is our best defender. I don't think I've ever seen this many underclassmen that can all contribute
heavily and even take over a game. Plus look at all the great transfers that he recruited. We have a great core returning next year that will be supplemented by transfers and some new young guys.
Here is what I mean, since Kerns took over each of his 4 seasons his best player each season was a FOX signee, year 1 the whole team, year 2 Forrest, Delph, Lewis, Gregory, year 3 Delph, Gregory and Forrest, year 4 this year is Gregory.

For those that know basketball knows Gregory is the MVP of this season min of 12ppg and 6 assists -- so how many head coaches 4 years in say they are still playing or coaching the previous HC's recruit....

Kerns retention rate with his own signees is awful....

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm
appvette wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Here is what I mean, since Kerns took over each of his 4 seasons his best player each season was a FOX signee, year 1 the whole team, year 2 Forrest, Delph, Lewis, Gregory, year 3 Delph, Gregory and Forrest, year 4 this year is Gregory.

For those that know basketball knows Gregory is the MVP of this season min of 12ppg and 6 assists -- so how many head coaches 4 years in say they are still playing or coaching the previous HC's recruit....

You conveniently left out Michael Almonacy from your list, even though he was easily one of the best and arguably THE most important player the last 2 years. He was a Kerns recruit, even if he was a transfer.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 pm

I didn't look hard, but I looked: Kerns could be the first men's basketball coach in 50 years to have four straight winning seasons.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:16 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 pm
I didn't look hard, but I looked: Kerns could be the first men's basketball coach in 50 years to have four straight winning seasons.
While playing the toughest schedules.Our team is better than our support from our "fan base".Marshall has a good "program" decades of history with great fan support. We have had flashes over those decades.Kerns inherited a dysfunctional locker room .It is a steep rebuild.Abson , Harcum ,Huntley and Gregory are solid Sunbelt players ,even with their weaknesses which all but a few of the couple of hundred Sunbelt players share.DK signed all of them.With all that we were in the game pretty much throughout.MU made plays when needed , we did not.I agree they have the better team . We fought to the end but couldn't over come our break downs.Turnovers to points.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:21 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tom Apke had five straight winning seasons from the 87-88 season thru the 91-92"season. He is the winningest coach in App's D1 history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Apke
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... aches.html

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:34 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:21 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tom Apke had five straight winning seasons from the 87-88 season thru the 91-92"season. He is the winningest coach in App's D1 history.

Thanks for the correction.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm

Tom inherited a team that had gone 17-12 or thereabouts the year prior , but he did have a good run, until he didn't.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:08 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:16 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
While playing the toughest schedules.Our team is better than our support from our "fan base".Marshall has a good "program" decades of history with great fan support. We have had flashes over those decades.Kerns inherited a dysfunctional locker room .It is a steep rebuild.Abson , Harcum ,Huntley and Gregory are solid Sunbelt players ,even with their weaknesses which all but a few of the couple of hundred Sunbelt players share.DK signed all of them.With all that we were in the game pretty much throughout.MU made plays when needed , we did not.I agree they have the better team . We fought to the end but couldn't over come our break downs.Turnovers to points.
DK didn’t sign Gregory.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:50 pm

hapapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

No wonder I remember the crowds being great. Those were the 4 years I was there.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:18 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm
Tom inherited a team that had gone 17-12 or thereabouts the year prior , but he did have a good run, until he didn't.
His last two years did him in, 20 loss seasons.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:19 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:50 pm
hapapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

No wonder I remember the crowds being great. Those were the 4 years I was there.
He had the misfortune of coaching during ETSU's ascendance.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:59 am

Stonewall wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
While playing the toughest schedules.Our team is better than our support from our "fan base".Marshall has a good "program" decades of history with great fan support. We have had flashes over those decades.Kerninherited a dysfunctional locker rooms .It is a steep rebuild.Abson , Harcum ,Huntley and Gregory are solid Sunbelt players ,even with their weaknesses which all but a few of the couple of hundred Sunbelt players share.DK signed all of them.With all that we were in the game pretty much throughout.MU made plays when needed , we did not.I agree they have the better team . We fought to the end but couldn't over come our break downs.Turnovers to points.

Toughest schedules, Carlow - William Peace, Warren Wilson, who else in 4 years that no one has heard of have he beaten. Maybe that's why there isn't a crowd, ever!!!

Dysfunctional locker room, no one inherited a worse locker room than Fox did, APR issues, post season ban and inherited 3 players suspended for off season suspension, Men's Basketball was 341 in KenPom in 2014, from most of your Tar Heel favorite Jason Capel previous coach - what a clown a$$ he was this week after beating the Heels -

Gregory needs to get 15 points - 8 assists today for a win.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:36 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm
appvette wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Shocker... The upperclassmen are better than the freshmen! And you forgot about Almonacy who Kerns recruited and was the reason we made it to the NCAA for the first time in a generation. Also, you have to remember that the extra COVID year made it so that Fox's guys could stay an extra year which limited Kerns in his ability to recruit "his guys".

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:40 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:59 am
Stonewall wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
While playing the toughest schedules.Our team is better than our support from our "fan base".Marshall has a good "program" decades of history with great fan support. We have had flashes over those decades.Kerninherited a dysfunctional locker rooms .It is a steep rebuild.Abson , Harcum ,Huntley and Gregory are solid Sunbelt players ,even with their weaknesses which all but a few of the couple of hundred Sunbelt players share.DK signed all of them.With all that we were in the game pretty much throughout.MU made plays when needed , we did not.I agree they have the better team . We fought to the end but couldn't over come our break downs.Turnovers to points.

Toughest schedules, Carlow - William Peace, Warren Wilson, who else in 4 years that no one has heard of have he beaten. Maybe that's why there isn't a crowd, ever!!!

Dysfunctional locker room, no one inherited a worse locker room than Fox did, APR issues, post season ban and inherited 3 players suspended for off season suspension, Men's Basketball was 341 in KenPom in 2014, from most of your Tar Heel favorite Jason Capel previous coach - what a clown a$$ he was this week after beating the Heels -

Gregory needs to get 15 points - 8 assists today for a win.
You've never heard of Louisville?

This year's Sun Belt is by far more difficult than previous seasons. 3 of the top 4 teams right now are new from cusa and the 4th from cusa is historically good. We would probably be #2 or #3 in the standings right now if those teams hadn't come over.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”