Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Border Battle Tournament

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Re: Border Battle Tournament

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:20 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:59 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:49 am
scatman77 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am
Won't happen with uncheat, USC, Clemson, and NCSU in the mix. There was a mid-season weekend tournament (so to speak) years ago before USC pulled out of the ACC. I forget what it was called but the NC teams played the SC teams on one day and swapped opponents the next day. Both games were counted non-conference. After USCs bone-head move to leave the ACC the weekend was dropped.
North/South Double Header may have been the name I attended the games once as a young kid. UNC, State, Furman, Citadel. State and UNC did not play each other.
I picked up Michael Jordan’s autograph when he was a freshman at this event. I had no idea who he was.
As a kid, I loved going to the old North-South Doubleheader. I remember the old coliseum being so smoky you could barely see the floor. I still have one of those goofy styrofoam hats they’d sell. Everything seemed much smaller and personal. I remember walking up and talking to Bobby Jones after one game and during warm-ups my dad yelling to Dean Smith to “stay out of them damn corners.” Dean waved and gave him the thumbs up.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:14 am

That's a great memory.I think Jones was a South Meck guy.Dean Smith was perhaps the most gracious "big name" I ever met and had the chance to get to know.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:56 pm
I picked up Michael Jordan’s autograph when he was a freshman at this event. I had no idea who he was.
I was at that event. No one knew who he was.. we were able to see the team walk from entrance to locker room. I was focused on Worthy and Perkins as they were the experienced guys.
[/quote]

MJ attended ASU’s summer basketball camp in the late 70s. I think Fred Lynch brought him in with some boys from Wilmington. Nobody noticed. Then he “got good.”
[/quote]
Kevin Cantwell tells the story of Jordan coming to Boone with some interesting insight...

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:27 pm

This thread is turning into a UNC memories lovefest.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:35 pm

Okay, add more balance. I also saw Cozell McQueen from State at the tournament when I attended.😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:56 pm
I was at that event. No one knew who he was.. we were able to see the team walk from entrance to locker room. I was focused on Worthy and Perkins as they were the experienced guys.
[/quote]

MJ attended ASU’s summer basketball camp in the late 70s. I think Fred Lynch brought him in with some boys from Wilmington. Nobody noticed. Then he “got good.”
[/quote]

You're exactly right. I was the athletic trainer for those camps that Coach Cremins started. MJ was there and this particular camp was loaded with top-quality big men. MJ never made a mark with anyone. The staff was too enamored with the bigs.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm

Back to App State basketball. Search Appalachian State Varsity Gym on YouTube. There is a 1991 game between App and ETSU.
Not the Cremins years but watch some of it and you will get the idea of what the atmosphere was like.
Probably 7 to 8 thousand attendance. The place rocked.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:25 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm
Back to App State basketball. Search Appalachian State Varsity Gym on YouTube. There is a 1991 game between App and ETSU.
Not the Cremins years but watch some of it and you will get the idea of what the atmosphere was like.
I was there. It was awesome. Packed, standing room only.
WE ARE YOSEF!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:19 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:20 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
Won't happen with uncheat, USC, Clemson, and NCSU in the mix. There was a mid-season weekend tournament (so to speak) years ago before USC pulled out of the ACC. I forget what it was called but the NC teams played the SC teams on one day and swapped opponents the next day. Both games were counted non-conference. After USCs bone-head move to leave the ACC the weekend was dropped.
North/South Double Header may have been the name I attended the games once as a young kid. UNC, State, Furman, Citadel. State and UNC did not play each other.
As a kid, I loved going to the old North-South Doubleheader. I remember the old coliseum being so smoky you could barely see the floor. I still have one of those goofy styrofoam hats they’d sell. Everything seemed much smaller and personal. I remember walking up and talking to Bobby Jones after one game and during warm-ups my dad yelling to Dean Smith to “stay out of them damn corners.” Dean waved and gave him the thumbs up.
Wife and I have been having a multiyear tour of minor league sports in the state and made it to a Checkers game last weekend. First time I had been in the old coliseum since my last concert there in the mid-80s. It has been redone a few times but looks really good for something of that vintage. I was impressed.

My first concert was to see the Police in 82 or so. I was in 7th grade I think. I was clueless at the time but in looking back I was seating beside a guy snorting some serious coke and as we were leaving I remember someone vomiting (drugs, alcohol or both on the steps by the entrance.) As soon as I walked by those steps I remembered the guy on the steps with a huge mohawk realizing he may have overdone it just a bit.

Checkers won 9-0 by the way. Fayetteville, Charlotte and W-S multiple times are undefeated with me in the stands this year for ice hockey.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:46 pm

Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:19 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
Wife and I have been having a multiyear tour of minor league sports in the state and made it to a Checkers game last weekend. First time I had been in the old coliseum since my last concert there in the mid-80s. It has been redone a few times but looks really good for something of that vintage. I was impressed.

My first concert was to see the Police in 82 or so. I was in 7th grade I think. I was clueless at the time but in looking back I was seating beside a guy snorting some serious coke and as we were leaving I remember someone vomiting (drugs, alcohol or both on the steps by the entrance.) As soon as I walked by those steps I remembered the guy on the steps with a huge mohawk realizing he may have overdone it just a bit.

Checkers won 9-0 by the way. Fayetteville, Charlotte and W-S multiple times are undefeated with me in the stands this year for ice hockey.
I was at that Police concert in ‘82. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opened for them!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:46 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

I was at that Police concert in ‘82. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts opened for them!
I think the Go-Gos were supposed to be a double header and Gina S. had wrist problems or something and had to cancel. I was with my sister and that seems to be who we really wanted to see.

My musical taste have never been mainstreamexcept for Fleetwood Mac really so I was generally going for the opening act.

Hall and Oates--nope, General Public
somebody I don't remember - nope, Sparks

Both Joan Jett and the Police were good and worthy of seeing in that case.

So were you the coked out person sitting beside me or the mohawk shaven punk puking his brains out on the last landing of steps? :-)

Wikipedia has a decent list of concerts at the old coliseum, which is pretty amazing given how far back the list goes.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 pm

Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:46 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:

I think the Go-Gos were supposed to be a double header and Gina S. had wrist problems or something and had to cancel. I was with my sister and that seems to be who we really wanted to see.

My musical taste have never been mainstreamexcept for Fleetwood Mac really so I was generally going for the opening act.

Hall and Oates--nope, General Public
somebody I don't remember - nope, Sparks

Both Joan Jett and the Police were good and worthy of seeing in that case.

So were you the coked out person sitting beside me or the mohawk shaven punk puking his brains out on the last landing of steps? :-)

Wikipedia has a decent list of concerts at the old coliseum, which is pretty amazing given how far back the list goes.
The former; wouldn’t dare throw up on my Members Only jacket ;)
The GoGos eventually made it to the old Colly, with a Flock of Seagulls opening.went with my future wife- knew it must be serious.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:25 pm
appfanjj wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm
I was there. It was awesome. Packed, standing room only.
Great energy in Varsity that night. Varsity was packed to the rafters.

App/Marshall also had big crowds in the Top Apke era. Students attended every game and 3,000 was a small crowd in that era.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:53 am

I was there as well...thanks for putting this out. That was the fun atmosphere I am always talking about. One whole side was nothing but students. It is why I believe we have to start with the students. EtSU had a lot of people at that game as well.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am

Remembering a game against Davidson late 70s my date was running late and we literally had to squeeze in the very top row.Dinner later at Marvin's Garden....

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 pm

The Belt and a peer conference should look at doing a mid season challenge tournament like some of the big boys do.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:40 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 pm
The Belt and a peer conference should look at doing a mid season challenge tournament like some of the big boys do.
Believe that starts next year with the MAC?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”