Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB at Old Dominion, Sat Dec 21st

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB at Old Dominion, Sat Dec 21st

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:00 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:23 am
I agree with those that saying winning is the best cure for these small crowds.

It makes me sick to my stomach, be we know a lot these folks love App in football, but have “always loved” UNCheat or Dook in basketball. :roll:

That being said UNCheat and Dook aren’t anywhere close to what they used to be, at least this year. I really wish we could rattle off a bunch of wins and really get it going. Look at CofC this year (granted no football and a good basketball tradition). If we were able to really catch fire and and those two continue to dip, we could build some really good momentum. We need to take advantage quick, cause I doubt either stay down very long *puke*

GO APPS!!
U-Dub has a good following as well. Not sure if not having football impacts that. Being in a larger city and area less susceptible to cold weather helps as well.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:51 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:59 am
appstate24 wrote:

It makes me sick to my stomach, be we know a lot these folks love App in football, but have “always loved” UNCheat or Dook in basketball. :roll:

That being said UNCheat and Dook aren’t anywhere close to what they used to be, at least this year. I really wish we could rattle off a bunch of wins and really get it going. Look at CofC this year (granted no football and a good basketball tradition). If we were able to really catch fire and and those two continue to dip, we could build some really good momentum. We need to take advantage quick, cause I doubt either stay down very long *puke*

GO APPS!!
Charleston is selling out every game. I live here and have been to 2 home games to see what Pat Kelsey is about. He meets with donors before the team runs out of the tunnel and gives them the game plan just as he is giving it to the players (trying to find the link of this, will post when i find it) It's wild, that guy has amped up this whole fanbase and city down here. After games, every restaurant is slammed with people that were at the games. I really want this for our team, alumni and the Town of Boone.
Basketball is their football. :lol:

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm

They’ve also won 20 in a row. Winning helps bring the fans out.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Charleston has a long history of winning and being adopted by the city and it's residents.Yes , kind of like our football team.You are looking at a population of eight hundred thousand in the metro area , and yes no weather related travel issues.If we can get to 5,000 on a Saturday I would be ecstatic. I do maintain an earlier start time would help those driving from a distance.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:02 pm

Got to engage the locals: Students and residents of Watauga County. In our out of conference…we’ve got to get ranked opponents in the building.

If we can’t do that we will never have full arenas.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:30 pm

It may not move needle much, however we needed signage boards at key intersections to advertise games. It may get local people to games. Maybe it is a few to start and maybe builds...I am not sure many App. St. locals (unless avid fans) and local nom-App. St. local grass know there are games going on.
I do not know if it would work...just thinking outside box.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:57 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:30 pm
It may not move needle much, however we needed signage boards at key intersections to advertise games. It may get local people to games. Maybe it is a few to start and maybe builds...I am not sure many App. St. locals (unless avid fans) and local nom-App. St. local grass know there are games going on.
I do not know if it would work...just thinking outside box.
I kind of compare our basketball situation to that of our local minor league baseball team. We get great crowds generally for weekend games but almost nothing for Monday to Thursday. I've wondered why there aren't more promotions to get people in like a student is free with a paying adult. If the seat is gonna be empty practically give it away and you still maybe sell concessions and perhaps those people come back next time at full price.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:07 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:59 am
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Charleston is selling out every game. I live here and have been to 2 home games to see what Pat Kelsey is about. He meets with donors before the team runs out of the tunnel and gives them the game plan just as he is giving it to the players (trying to find the link of this, will post when i find it) It's wild, that guy has amped up this whole fanbase and city down here. After games, every restaurant is slammed with people that were at the games. I really want this for our team, alumni and the Town of Boone.
Charleston is 21-1 and their gym holds 5,100. I would bet anything that an App team ranked in the top 20 would draw over 5,100. Even with Charleston being slightly bigger than Boone.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:02 pm

The idea of going to all general admission with kids admitted free was floated some years ago.There was concern about displacing season ticket holders so the idea of a family section {buy one get one or even kids free}in the "cheap seats " was kicked around.I still think it has merit but yes , winning consistently contending for NCAA bids will draw crowds.

teaasu76

Unread post by teaasu76 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm

I have thought for a few years that the basketball support staff should work with the local rec leagues and middle school teams to offer special admissions for the youth players when accompanied by their coaches or parents. Recognize the leagues and teams during timeouts and involve them in activities at the half. Make it a fun family experience and the kids will want to come to more games. So will some of the parents.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm

I like the idea of playing some OOC games early at some neutral locations...Greensboro Coliseum against UNC/Duke/WAKE/CLEMSON/NCSTATE - We get our ticket sales and they get their ticket sales. Split the cost of the coliseum and concessions. I think it is our best shot of getting decent games at this point. Maybe we only sell 6,000 tickets but we get the game and probably make more money than a home game. UNCC and Davidson and ECU should work as well.

I really like the idea of a Pepsi tournament of Carolina. College of Charleston, UNCA, UNCW, ECU, UNCC, Davidson invite them all and see who is interested. Let Pepsi pay for the coliseum.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:31 pm

more importantly, status on boykin?

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 pm

Need to win to fill seats? Need to fill seats to create a winning atmosphere? Chicken or egg?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 am

at least coastaLLLL lost to the 296th ranked team by ken pom last night hahahahaha

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:34 pm
Need to win to fill seats? Need to fill seats to create a winning atmosphere? Chicken or egg?
Doesn't football show winning comes first?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:01 pm

Bandwagons are filled by winning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”