Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB at Wake Forest, Weds 12/14, 7pm

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB at Wake Forest, Weds 12/14, 7pm

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:31 am

Coaching 19 , 20 year old kids is easy .Anyone could do it from their living room sofa.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:34 am

yosef69 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm
I thought the football threads were bad about coach bashing, but I think basketball takes the cake. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, some of y’all need to get a firmer grip on reality.
Buddy, a rec league coach would have won that game. Ball in hands, with 2 seconds left. You can’t lose. You just can’t.

It needed to be said during the timeout, throw the ball deep, tip it, we win.
The play they ran was to do exactly that, but it didn't work out because it was so well defended.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:40 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:34 am
yosef69 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 pm
MrCraig wrote:
I thought the football threads were bad about coach bashing, but I think basketball takes the cake. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, some of y’all need to get a firmer grip on reality.
Buddy, a rec league coach would have won that game. Ball in hands, with 2 seconds left. You can’t lose. You just can’t.

It needed to be said during the timeout, throw the ball deep, tip it, we win.
The play they ran was to do exactly that, but it didn't work out because it was so well defended.
I am not so sure that was the play call as the ball was NOT thrown deep. A deeply thrown ball would have made it across the half-court line.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:30 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:46 am
ShagNC wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:33 pm
MrCraig wrote:
You’re right. When I attended App, no one talked about basketball. There’s at least some buy in from the student body now, and I attribute that a lot to Kerns. People need to give the guy a chance.

I am still disappointed in the loss and game management leading up to it, but we move on.
It's hugely disappointing, but it happens.
I just rewatched the failed in-bounds play, and it is exactly what you want to run. They had a man set a screen for another to streak down the court. Then two players screened for each other down low. The problem is, Wake had their tallest player guarding the in-bounds pass. It looks like Gregory couldn't see anyone on the right half of the court, and he couldn't throw it deep without throwing it directly at his defender. So, he went to the man who was open. Unfortunately, again, the giant that was in front of him stuck his arm out to disrupt the pass, the catch was tipped, and went out of bounds.
There is quite literally nothing that Kerns could have done to make that play work better, it just didn't happen.
But sure, "tHiS Is oN ThE CoAcHiNg!"
The problem is, kerns gave gregory 2 options to throw it under our basket. Send everyone deep. Don't even let him have the option to throw it under our basket. Throw a hail marry, ball touched, game over. Put the players in no doubt win situations, dont give them a chance to screw it up. So while, he sent 1 guy deep, he should have sent all 4. It happens, but happens too often late in games for us. He's a great coach, just seems to get flustered in late game situations. WIN THE BELT AND WE DANCE! Our goals are still in front of us haha
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

The clock doesn't start until a player touches the ball. The inbounds defender could have tipped the throw, caught it himself, and shot or called a timeout. If you just chuck the ball deep, a defender can catch it and call a timeout, or an App player can tip it out of bounds. There are WAY too many variables to the "just throw it up" play. The play that was called was good, but it was also well defended and poorly executed. At that point, there's nothing Kerns can do. He's not on the court.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:46 am

Wake didn’t have any time outs. Context matters.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:53 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 am
311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
ShagNC wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
You’re right. When I attended App, no one talked about basketball. There’s at least some buy in from the student body now, and I attribute that a lot to Kerns. People need to give the guy a chance.

I am still disappointed in the loss and game management leading up to it, but we move on.
I just rewatched the failed in-bounds play, and it is exactly what you want to run. They had a man set a screen for another to streak down the court. Then two players screened for each other down low. The problem is, Wake had their tallest player guarding the in-bounds pass. It looks like Gregory couldn't see anyone on the right half of the court, and he couldn't throw it deep without throwing it directly at his defender. So, he went to the man who was open. Unfortunately, again, the giant that was in front of him stuck his arm out to disrupt the pass, the catch was tipped, and went out of bounds.
There is quite literally nothing that Kerns could have done to make that play work better, it just didn't happen.
The problem is, kerns gave gregory 2 options to throw it under our basket. Send everyone deep. Don't even let him have the option to throw it under our basket. Throw a hail marry, ball touched, game over. Put the players in no doubt win situations, dont give them a chance to screw it up. So while, he sent 1 guy deep, he should have sent all 4. It happens, but happens too often late in games for us. He's a great coach, just seems to get flustered in late game situations. WIN THE BELT AND WE DANCE! Our goals are still in front of us haha
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken

The clock doesn't start until a player touches the ball. The inbounds defender could have tipped the throw, caught it himself, and shot or called a timeout. If you just chuck the ball deep, a defender can catch it and call a timeout, or an App player can tip it out of bounds. There are WAY too many variables to the "just throw it up" play. The play that was called was good, but it was also well defended and poorly executed. At that point, there's nothing Kerns can do. He's not on the court.
I agree with you if 4+ seconds on clock as I have seen teams get to beyond half court from other end of court and make shots. However, with 2.3 seconds left, if throw to far end..if caught or tipped by us/WF a minimum of .3, .5 come off the clock. You are left with 2 or less than 2 seconds. Unless they could pull a Laettner (sp?) versus Kentucky in NCAA, I take those odds 8 days a week versus what we left them with....the ball on their side of half court. People are human. Love our coach....just my opinion...and, yes, easy to coach from the sofa..and why I am not paid the big bucks.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:01 am

You'd think common sense would come into play here out of a timeout. Put your tallest guy as the inbounder to throw it over the tall defensive defender. Huntley or even walker. It's really just a hail mary and someone just needed to touch it 80' away from the basket, doesn't matter which team touches it, they are 80' away from the basket lol.

Next time, we will leave no doubt on the table.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:02 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:46 am
I’m sure the refs would have found a way to give them one like they did with the “review” of the inbounds play

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:03 am

It shouldn't have come down to that last possession. We only shot 43% from the foul line.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:04 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:03 am
It shouldn't have come down to that last possession. We only shot 43% from the foul line.
The misses were from our freshman center that can't shoot outside of 5' yet. While not an excuse, to be expected. 3-7 from the line. We simply don't attack the rim enough. Having the lead and the ball with 2.3 seconds on the clock and no timeouts for wake is a 99% chance to win regardless of abson missing his 4 ft's.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:07 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:53 am
MrCraig wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 am
311neers wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
ShagNC wrote:

I agree with you if 4+ seconds on clock as I have seen teams get to beyond half court from other end of court and make shots. However, with 2.3 seconds left, if throw to far end..if caught or tipped by us/WF a minimum of .3, .5 come off the clock. You are left with 2 or less than 2 seconds. Unless they could pull a Laettner (sp?) versus Kentucky in NCAA, I take those odds 8 days a week versus what we left them with....the ball on their side of half court. People are human. Love our coach....just my opinion...and, yes, easy to coach from the sofa..and why I am not paid the big bucks.
I don't totally disagree with you. Mostly I'm just saying that it wasn't a bad play call. Is it possible that there were better play calls? Sure. But it was still a good call.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:09 am

On the bright side, people care about this program. 110 comments and counting. By far the most interest we've ever had in a thread.

Coach is good, players are good, team is deep. More eyes are on the program than ever before! Just need to find a way to make Holmes a tough place to play.

GO APPS!

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:26 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:31 am
Coaching 19 , 20 year old kids is easy .Anyone could do it from their living room sofa.
Be sure to make this comment on an App State Football thread after a tough loss as well.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:34 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:46 am
Forgot about that. No brainer ..throw long
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am

We punched up last night and took a really good ACC Wake Forest team to the buzzer. Hate not to finish but this was a good pre-season result.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am
We punched up last night and took a really good ACC Wake Forest team to the buzzer. Hate not to finish but this was a good pre-season result.
Not taking anything away from our guys….but I’m not convinced Wake is a really good team. Decent yes, really good remains to be seen.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:48 am

Wake defended the inbounds play very well. Gregory was in a tough position: spot throw-in, no timeout left. If he blindly throws deep and no one touches the ball and it goes out of bounds, the ball is turned over at the spot of the throw-in. Again, Wake defended well. That’s enough for me. On to the next one.
WE ARE YOSEF!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:24 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 am
mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am
Not taking anything away from our guys….but I’m not convinced Wake is a really good team. Decent yes, really good remains to be seen.
They recruit ACC level players and are always a really good team. Without Applejax or whatever the kid's name is, they will not be as good but with him, they were a really good team.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:07 pm

WF is lacking in quality depth. The coach, for last two seasons, has pulled a Texas St. (Football) and lived in the portal. Not sure if this will be his strategy going forward or due to lack of a team when he came on board or not last year
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:06 pm

One given - when being pressed full-court don't go to the corner -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”