Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Game Thread - MBB @ Charlotte - Fri. Dec 2nd, 2022

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Re: Game Thread - MBB @ Charlotte - Fri. Dec 2nd, 2022

Unread post by BTK2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 am

I’m gonna be real. App state athletics is kind of down this year and I hope it’s not a trend. Can I for once not sit a a bar in Charlotte watching a game and not be embarrassed this year?
Last edited by BTK2000 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:57 am

L'ville is 0-7. That one win was an exhibition v. Chaminade but it essentially got cancelled by a 10 point exhibition loss to Lenior-Rhyne. L-R is D-II but has a classy MBB program. Joe Bear just toyed with the Cards.

As for the Apps, they drew a decent and friendly crowd for Campbell--and in old and familiar form--lost to a middle of the conference Big South team. That should never happen on our home court. Many of those fans won't return this season. This isn't new. Before Campbell, we lost such games to Elon and UNC-A on multiple occasions in VG.

Our Apps can earn some redemption points by beating Wake in W-S and UC Santa Barbara on a neutral court in Phoenix. They have a D-III in HCC before Christmas and SBC games at Marshall and at Southern Mississippi--also before Christmas break.

To be real here, we could very easily be an under .500 team when Santa lands on our rooftops. Our coaching staff seems to have no answer for missed snowbird layups. Our guards and bigs are missing undefended, fast-break layups. And follow-shots. This proclivity isn't new with Kerns' teams. It goes back through the years with Fox, Capel and Fancher teams. Is there a curse on HCC or do we recruit kids w/o good, basic basketball skills and then fail to remediate them?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:08 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 am
L'ville is 0-7. That one win was an exhibition v. Chaminade but it essentially got cancelled by a 10 point exhibition loss to Lenior-Rhyne. L-R is D-II but has a classy MBB program. Joe Bear just toyed with the Cards.

As for the Apps, they drew a decent and friendly crowd for Campbell--and in old and familiar form--lost to a middle of the conference Big South team. That should never happen on our home court. Many of those fans won't return this season. This isn't new. Before Campbell, we lost such games to Elon and UNC-A on multiple occasions in VG.

Our Apps can earn some redemption points by beating Wake in W-S and UC Santa Barbara on a neutral court in Phoenix. They have a D-III in HCC before Christmas and SBC games at Marshall and at Southern Mississippi--also before Christmas break.

To be real here, we could very easily be an under .500 team when Santa lands on our rooftops. Our coaching staff seems to have no answer for missed snowbird layups. Our guards and bigs are missing undefended, fast-break layups. And follow-shots. This proclivity isn't new with Kerns' teams. It goes back through the years with Fox, Capel and Fancher teams. Is there a curse on HCC or do we recruit kids w/o good, basic basketball skills and then fail to teach, remediate and drill them?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:09 am

BTK2000 wrote:

To be real here, we could very easily be an under .500 team when Santa lands on our rooftops. Our coaching staff seems to have no answer for missed snowbird layups. Our guards and bigs are missing undefended, fast-break layups. And follow-shots. This proclivity isn't new with Kerns' teams. It goes back through the years with Fox, Capel and Fancher teams. Is there a curse on HCC or do we recruit kids w/o good, basic basketball skills and then fail to teach, remediate and drill them?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 am

BTK2000 wrote:

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:17 am

If we played every game for the entire game like we did the first 10 minutes last night, we’d easily win the Sun Belt, on the flip side, without that 10 minutes, we’d be last in the Sun Belt

AppState80

Unread post by AppState80 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:48 am

Just watched both games on + replay, first and second half. Seems like better rotation. We do not crash offensive glass. Need to go stronger to rim. Force refs to make a call. I counted zero dunks. Charlotte is obviously good, their defense stepped up big time 2nd half, especially on perimeter, and had Home Court advantage. Hopeful we stay near the top once conference season starts. We have a good nucleus, they need to put together a complete 40 minute game.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:51 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:17 am
If we played every game for the entire game like we did the first 10 minutes last night, we’d easily win the Sun Belt, on the flip side, without that 10 minutes, we’d be last in the Sun Belt
If Charlotte had played defense and made shots for the first 10 minutes like they did for the rest of the game, we would have been blown out. Just pointing out that it's not just our play that matters. There are two teams on the court or field. I will say that it didn't appear we made any changes in our offense to combat the changes Charlotte made on defense.
WE ARE YOSEF!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:31 pm

Have we played a complete game yet? It seems we're really good in one half but not the other. I suppose we need to hope that Sun Belt teams aren't as good as Campbell and Kennesaw State. The talent seems to be there but I'm not sure the chemistry has developed yet with mix of players from other programs. In the end its what we do in conference play and especially in March. But, its painful to suffer through losses like last night.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:16 pm

Kerns has a harder job than Clark. He has to build from scratch. I think he is doing a great job. We are taking the stairs and I think this will end up being a good season. We are going to have to build a home court advantage somehow...we do seem to lose at home at the worst time. There is a 5 person lineup that works. Hopefully he is still feeling things out. I would like to see us play the A group of 5 and the b group of 5. I hate these changing rotations. Basketball is a lot about chemistry.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:00 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:16 pm
Kerns has a harder job than Clark. He has to build from scratch. I think he is doing a great job. We are taking the stairs and I think this will end up being a good season. We are going to have to build a home court advantage somehow...we do seem to lose at home at the worst time. There is a 5 person lineup that works. Hopefully he is still feeling things out. I would like to see us play the A group of 5 and the b group of 5. I hate these changing rotations. Basketball is a lot about chemistry.
If he is building from scratch, isn't that his doing? This is year four. He has essentially been winning with Fox's players.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:10 pm

I could be wrong but I think this years team would beat last years team by 10 regularly. We shall see how it ends up but this looks like a solid team.

Charfan
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Charfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:31 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:37 pm
Charfan wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:59 pm
Great game tonight guys! Good luck going forward.

Y’all come back now!!!!! LOL
Big week for you guys. Beating us and Davidson in basketball, and your football team finishing the year in the ESPN Bottom 10. Congrats.

Not sure what the bottom 10 ranking in CFB has to do with what we are talking about here; which is Charlotte beating App at home in men’s basketball but if it makes you feel better to mention it, ok.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:53 am

Charfan wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:31 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:37 pm
Charfan wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:59 pm
Great game tonight guys! Good luck going forward.

Y’all come back now!!!!! LOL
Big week for you guys. Beating us and Davidson in basketball, and your football team finishing the year in the ESPN Bottom 10. Congrats.

Not sure what the bottom 10 ranking in CFB has to do with what we are talking about here; which is Charlotte beating App at home in men’s basketball but if it makes you feel better to mention it, ok.
Dont you have a board to celebrate on? Y’all won. Fair play. We can’t help with your other insecurities.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:57 am

The Little 49ers need something to feel big so trolling on this web site helps. UNC Concrete.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:37 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:10 pm
I could be wrong but I think this years team would beat last years team by 10 regularly. We shall see how it ends up but this looks like a solid team.
Aint no way -- Donovan Gregory is this year's best player -- last year he was the 3rd or 4th best player. open your eyes.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am

Our team right now looks like a collection of players that don't fit right. We have some bigs who either hang out on the arc or are not offensive weapons. Hopefully there is some gelling and a solid rotation gets set. It's one thing to go cold from the 3 but it's another to miss layups and easy shots.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:37 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Aint no way -- Donovan Gregory is this year's best player -- last year he was the 3rd or 4th best player. open your eyes.
I would argue he is our 4th or 5th best player this year. He has a lot of grit that this team needs but others seem to be getting there. Just an opinion no way to prove. We still don't have a dribble penetrator that can drive and dish. Kerns has tried hard to find it. Donovan is probably still our best passer and that is what kills this team. (And Last years)

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:09 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:37 am
spacemonkey wrote:
I would argue he is our 4th or 5th best player this year. He has a lot of grit that this team needs but others seem to be getting there. Just an opinion no way to prove. We still don't have a dribble penetrator that can drive and dish. Kerns has tried hard to find it. Donovan is probably still our best passer and that is what kills this team. (And Last years)
Donovan leads the team in scoring, steals, and assists, but also leads in turnovers..by a lot. Could be partly due to being a primary ball handler for the first time. I agree that this team beats last years regularly due to depth and much more skilled post players, longer, more athletic, etc. that’s assuming they’re just playing and not running the App offense we’ve seen.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 pm

Donovan is easily our best and most talented player. There is the reason the ball is in his hands when we need a play made or a basket scored in crucial situations

Last year he was definitely our second best player right behind Delph, Almonacy and Forrest both had down years last year while Donovan took a big step forward.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”