Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Southeastern Campbell State MBB mini/megathread

AppOrange
School: Appalachian State

Re: Southeastern Campbell State MBB mini/megathread

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:28 am

proasu89 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:09 pm
Up 7 to down 4 in 3 minutes. Why can’t we have nice things? And by nice things, I mean players that can finish 2 feet from the basket and make front end of one and ones😂
I really think that missed layup with under 4 cost us the game. They came down, got a 3, and waaalahhhh a 5 pt swing

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:24 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:30 pm
This is why, once again, home attendance is sub par.
Myself, my daughter, and SIL all stayed for the MBB after the football. My daughter thought it was going to be packed since admission was free and I was hoping for 50% capacity. Did not even hit that mark and we were actually just shy of1/3 capacity. As I was leaving Holmes my thoughts were on why we literally can't give tickets away for basketball. That ending explains a lot. 11 point run at the end to loose at home. Frustrating as a fan. The product really is not worth $15 a ticket in my view. I think tickets ought to be $5. Or $15 but a voucher for some free concessions.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:01 pm

I keep reminding myself that this is a collection of players from other programs that need time to mesh. I guess after watching the first few games I gathered a sense that this group was going to approach the game differently. After watching Friday night and then the result last night, I'm not as confident that we won't see so much that is similar to last season. The contrast Friday night with the efficiency of how Campbell ran its offense and our seeming to pass the ball around the perimeter looking for a 3 point shot was stark. Too much dribbling and one on one play at times. We just seemed to lack any flow. Again, I will remind myself it will take time for them to mesh.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:44 pm

I expected a better home court experience this weekend; then it hit me. A mild pox upon the thinking that a long road trip and four games in six days was a good idea! Even this SLU team is capable of ruining a cool Sunday afternoon in HCC. :evil:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:24 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:30 pm
This is why, once again, home attendance is sub par.
Myself, my daughter, and SIL all stayed for the MBB after the football. My daughter thought it was going to be packed since admission was free and I was hoping for 50% capacity. Did not even hit that mark and we were actually just shy of1/3 capacity. As I was leaving Holmes my thoughts were on why we literally can't give tickets away for basketball. That ending explains a lot. 11 point run at the end to loose at home. Frustrating as a fan. The product really is not worth $15 a ticket in my view. I think tickets ought to be $5. Or $15 but a voucher for some free concessions.
I was there Friday and Saturday. Right now, the team is more frustrating than fun to watch. We can’t make a basket from the paint, we show alternating flashes of brilliance followed by long stretches of struggling. We lost Friday because we couldn’t shoot for s*** but otherwise played well. We lost Saturday even though we shot well but turned it over 17 times. We can’t seem to get separation in these last 3 games (counting what I’m watching right now) and the few times we have a little, we go cold as hell. We can’t play with s lead.

TI I we have some good talent and I like what I see from these new players. Hopefully it’s just going to take us a while to gel and find our stride.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:59 pm

Walker having himself a game today.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:12 pm

The other factor I wanted to mention as it applies to attendance is the crappy atmosphere in the concession area. I’m sorry but why is it we sick so bad when it comes to concessions? The choices are so limited and low quality. This applies to Football also. The hot dogs are vile. The “Nachos” might well be leftovers from somebody’s stockpile from 1995. You get 3 choices of candy and thats about it. I got the hot dog and nachos when I got there from the football game about an hour before our game started. I went back for a snickers about 10 minutes before gametime and the guy in front of me tried to buy some hot dogs and they we all gone! They had to make some more. How does that happen before the game even starts?

Then, the concourse is like a ghost town. Nobody there selling any merch whatsoever. I was ready to drop some cash on a bb jersey. Nothing. No programs except for a few roster folders laying on a table on Friday. Not even that on Saturday. Its just a sad experience. Why would you expect fans to get excited when damn near every high school in America offers a better Gameday experience?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:31 pm

They can sure keep a game close…both ways.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm

We lost 4 starters from last season, so these early season results should not be a surprise. They have shown they can play well at times, but still learning to play together. They will continue to improve and become more consistent. I still think they will be a contender for conference champion.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Probably a psychologically important win today. If we had gone 0 for the long weekend at home it could have been bad.

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:53 pm

For bball games someone in the athletic department needs to give a job to a student or the cheer leaders need to be more involved getting the crowd excited and chanting - need some hype. I don't go to many games due to obligations but there was no App State Chant at the game today. Maybe because it was Sunday and a 3rd game in 3 days or this mini tournament but everything was geared towards advertising a company / giveaway or something. Lets sponsor the App State Chant - I would literally be willing to pay for it 5-10 times a game with not tag line of my services - disclaimer I probably cannot afford what App would charge me. Case in point about mid way thru the second half App built a 13-15 point and the visitors called at time out to "stop the momentum" this was by far the most perfect time for the crowd to chant App - State and wake up Blowing Rock and Mountain City. I get that advertising and companies pay to keep the lights on but organic excitement needs to be expressed and even given a nudge to get started instead of hearing the next company sponsorship.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:03 pm

asu2000 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:53 pm
For bball games someone in the athletic department needs to give a job to a student or the cheer leaders need to be more involved getting the crowd excited and chanting - need some hype. I don't go to many games due to obligations but there was no App State Chant at the game today. Maybe because it was Sunday and a 3rd game in 3 days or this mini tournament but everything was geared towards advertising a company / giveaway or something. Lets sponsor the App State Chant - I would literally be willing to pay for it 5-10 times a game with not tag line of my services - disclaimer I probably cannot afford what App would charge me. Case in point about mid way thru the second half App built a 13-15 point and the visitors called at time out to "stop the momentum" this was by far the most perfect time for the crowd to chant App - State and wake up Blowing Rock and Mountain City. I get that advertising and companies pay to keep the lights on but organic excitement needs to be expressed and even given a nudge to get started instead of hearing the next company sponsorship.
100% on target!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:07 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:12 pm
The other factor I wanted to mention as it applies to attendance is the crappy atmosphere in the concession area. I’m sorry but why is it we sick so bad when it comes to concessions? The choices are so limited and low quality. This applies to Football also. The hot dogs are vile. The “Nachos” might well be leftovers from somebody’s stockpile from 1995. You get 3 choices of candy and thats about it. I got the hot dog and nachos when I got there from the football game about an hour before our game started. I went back for a snickers about 10 minutes before gametime and the guy in front of me tried to buy some hot dogs and they we all gone! They had to make some more. How does that happen before the game even starts?

Then, the concourse is like a ghost town. Nobody there selling any merch whatsoever. I was ready to drop some cash on a bb jersey. Nothing. No programs except for a few roster folders laying on a table on Friday. Not even that on Saturday. Its just a sad experience. Why would you expect fans to get excited when damn near every high school in America offers a better Gameday experience?
100% on target1

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:15 pm

Even in that small crowd they ran out of cheeseburgers. They had hamburgers. It was not that bad but you can't run out of food before the game starts. All the candy is M&M/Mars items, due to the donation I am sure. I do all I can to avoid that company but for those that don't care the company does offer a few more products than we sell at Holmes.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:48 pm

Disappointing weekend overall for hoops imo

2-1 should have been worst case scenario, 3-0 was a realistic expectation. All 3 opponents play in inferior conferences and none were projected favorites of those conferences (Campbell 6th in Big South, Kennesaw St 8th in ASUN, SE Louisiana 4th in Southland). At home these should be expected wins, not hopeful victories

Attendance Saturday was not what I would have expected either. Would have hoped for a more full arena, but it felt like any other game despite there being a football game with 25+k right up the street hours before. I do think app athletics/marketing could have done a better job of convincing those to come. Should have invited food truck vendors among others to sell/serve dinner in holmes so fans could walk from kidd brewer to holmes knowing there would be dinner options for the family instead of having to grab something quick on king street / nearby and then rush back to holmes for tip.

Heading into the season the talk was that our team was "deeper than ever" and anyone could lead us in scoring any night. This talk makes friday night's loss to Campbell tough to understand because during the final 7 minutes of the game we rode the same 5 guys despite their struggles offensively that ultimately led to a loss.

Offensively we struggle, and this has honestly been consistent these last few years. This weekend not only showed a lack of flow in the offense, but the lack of a go to guy that can get us a shot clutch down the stretch that we've had in the past (Delph, Forrest, Almonacy, Isaac Johnson). Donovan looks to be the guy were going to in those situations, and he is probably our best option.

Big fan of a few of our transfers: Dibaji Walker and Carvell Teasett. Looking forward to seeing their roles expand as the season goes on. I think my favorite line up to see is Boykin-Teasett-Donovan-Walker-Abson.

Just some thoughts on the weekend, time to #BeatETSU on Tuesday

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:52 pm

Tough week upcoming with ETSU, Furman, and UNCC. 2-1 would be a solid outcome.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:35 pm

In the new reality of college basketball one could argue that you essentially start anew each season. The exception being the programs with established , winning traditions .We aren't one of them. We have the pieces to be competitive when it matters , if we can put them together.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:29 pm

I was also disappointed in the attendance. I got my tix early and paid full price despite them being free, the thing was, I didn't care bc they were 15 bucks a piece. I say this because it was our first game in Holmes and sans the outcome, we had a great time. Yes, there are lots of things we could do better, but I like Holmes as a venue despite what I have heard over the years. That place could rock if we just had the interest. I got food, beer quick, had amazing seats, great experience. If I wasn't 3 hours away, I would have season tix no doubt.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:09 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:48 pm

2-1 should have been worst case scenario, 3-0 was a realistic expectation. All 3 opponents play in inferior conferences and none were projected favorites of those conferences (Campbell 6th in Big South, Kennesaw St 8th in ASUN, SE Louisiana 4th in Southland). At home these should be expected wins, not hopeful victories

Attendance Saturday was not what I would have expected either. Would have hoped for a more full arena, but it felt like any other game despite there being a football game with 25+k right up the street hours before. I do think app athletics/marketing could have done a better job of convincing those to come. Should have invited food truck vendors among others to sell/serve dinner in holmes so fans could walk from kidd brewer to holmes knowing there would be dinner options for the family instead of having to grab something quick on king street / nearby and then rush back to holmes for tip.

Heading into the season the talk was that our team was "deeper than ever" and anyone could lead us in scoring any night. This talk makes friday night's loss to Campbell tough to understand because during the final 7 minutes of the game we rode the same 5 guys despite their struggles offensively that ultimately led to a loss.

Offensively we struggle, and this has honestly been consistent these last few years. This weekend not only showed a lack of flow in the offense, but the lack of a go to guy that can get us a shot clutch down the stretch that we've had in the past (Delph, Forrest, Almonacy, Isaac Johnson). Donovan looks to be the guy were going to in those situations, and he is probably our best option.

Big fan of a few of our transfers: Dibaji Walker and Carvell Teasett. Looking forward to seeing their roles expand as the season goes on. I think my favorite line up to see is Boykin-Teasett-Donovan-Walker-Abson.

The season is young. Those preseason projections don’t mean a whole lot. We were predicted to be maybe 7th in the belt ourselves…not exactly expected to be world beaters. There is probably more parity between the belt, big south, socon, cusa, Atlantic sun, etc than some might think. The portal accents that even more. Reality is that we still recruit against schools from those same conferences in basketball. Some of our better players over the years had offers from those very conferences and not much more. The rare exceptions who had higher level offers are sitting the bench right now (Littleton and Eads).

I still say Boykin plays with more control and largely makes better decisions than our lead guards the last few years. I feel like he and Harcum can become go to guys when needed as the season progresses. We certainly miss Delph, but it took several years for him to develop into a reliable, consistent threat. The talent from 1 through 10 or 11 is definitely more balanced than we’ve seen in years.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:29 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:48 pm

I attended Saturday/Sunday. I think the football PA did a disservice to the basketball game. There was never a specific time mentioned. It was always announced as “soon after the football game” or “immediately after”. We walked back to Legend’s after the final snap and after securing tickets and entering the arena, it was 37 minutes before tipoff.
I realize it was the second game of a double header, but a set time or even communication of an estimated time would have helped.
Also, the suggestion of a couple of food trucks is spot on. Offer a dinner option as fans (and students) entered the arena might have sparked the crowd (bring them in from Hickory, if football tied up the Boone-based trucks.
Finally, why not make it a Legends weekend and have some former App greats signing autographs and taking pictures in the concourse as a draw.
I’m also curious if parking options/traffic post game might have made the crowd shy away.

The premise was great, the event just needed a little spark
Last edited by WASU 93 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”