Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Transfer Portal Watch

HurricaneYosef
School: Appalachian State

Transfer Portal Watch

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:12 am

Will use this thread to post potential targets for us, Sun Belt related transfer news, and if any of our guys hit the portal. I'll post a watch list for us below to kick things off:

Watch List:

Camron McNeil SG (Radford) Jr. McNeil averaged 4.5 ppg off the bench for Radford this past season. Before Radford he averaged 18.2 ppg 6.6 rpg and 4.3 apg in juco while shooting 40% from deep and 82% from the FT line. Originally from the Raleigh area

Elijah Weaver G (Dayton) Gr. - Weaver is a former 4 star top 50 recruit from the 2018 class. He's started 33 of 99 games in his collegiate career at USC (Southern Cal) and Dayton and has tallied 6 ppg for his career. The combo guard from Florida could have a real chance to finally break out in the Sun Belt if he comes our way. According to Jon Rothstein we are among a number of teams in contact with him.

Shakeel Moore SG (Mississippi St) So. - Former 3 star top 150 recruit from Greensboro. 8.7 ppg 2.2 apg 3.1 rpg started 29/34 games for Miss St last year. Started career at NC State. Could be in mix if he wants to return to NC and play a bigger role at a school like App

Tamell Pearson C (Western Illinois) Gr. - Former 3 star Top 350 recruit from Chicago. 10.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 50/67% splits in 2 years at WIU. Former UAB transfer. Great size at 6'10 223, heard we are seriously in play here.

SUN BELT WATCH:

Appalachian State:
Additions: Tyree Boykin (Union D2), Tamell Pearson (Western Illinois), Dibaji Walker (UMASS)
Departures: Sasha Glushkov (TBD), R.J. Duhart (Charleston Southern)

Arkansas State:
Additions: Alaaeddine Boutayeb (Florida St) Mak Manciel (Henry Ford JuCo)
Departures: Norchad Omier (Miami), Keyon Wesley (Alabama St), Desi Sills (TBD), Mario Fantina (Arkansas–Monticello), Lazar Grbović (TBD)

Norchad is the biggest loss in the conference, 2nd straight year the Sun Belt POTY goes to a successful HM program (Devanta Jones went from Coastal to Michigan last year). Desi Sills is a tough loss, the Arkansas transfer averaged 13 ppg last year. Wesley another key loss, started 40/51 games the last 2 years. I don't know what their 2022 freshman class looks like, but I can imagine they are looking at a rough 22-23 season unless they make some late transfer additions. Boutayeb is a 7 foot 2 center from Morocco, his length will provide some challenges in the Sun Belt. Manciel is a solid pick up,15 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists 41% 3P.

Coastal Carolina:
Additions: Jomaru Brown (EKU), Antonio Daye, Jr. (Fordham), Jimmy Nichols, Jr. (VCU), Taj Thweatt (West Virginia)
Departures: Ebrima Dibba (South Carolina), DeAnthony Tipler (ETSU), Rudi Williams (BYU), DeShawn Thomas (TBD),
Isaac Hippolyte (TBD), Kevin Williamson (TBD), Jourdan Smith (Grambling State), Ahmard Harvey (High Point)

Coastal was good last year, but is losing some serious key pieces from last year. Dibba was their glue guy point forward who did a little bit of everything. Williams was a 15 ppg transfer from Kansas State. Tipler DNP in 2022 but was a 13 ppg scorer in 2021. Thomas and Hippolyte were athletic rotational frontcourt players.

They do have some GOOD transfer pieces coming in: Antonio Daye is a BIG TIME pick up. He tallied 16.8 ppg (1200+ career pts) 3.6 rpg 3.3 apg 1.4 spg last year at Fordham and has started 84/101 games in his career. Jomaru Brown scored 1400+ points at EKU, 12.2 ppg last year. Nichols and Thweatt long rangey athletes that can fill in for the lost production of Thomas/Hippolyte/Dibba.

Summary, losing tons of key guys...but their replacements might be even better. Will all depend on how well they mesh and develop chemistry.

Georgia State:
Additions: Dwon Odom (Xavier), Brenden Tucker (CofC), Jamaine Mann (Vanderbilt)
Departures: Jalen Thomas (Butler), Jordan Rawls (WKU), Nelson Phillips (TBD), Chien-Hao Ma. (TBD)

Thomas, Rawls, and Phillips are all losses that aren't of serious impact, especially with the replacements they have coming in via the portal.

As stated before Odom is a big time addition to the conference. He tallied 6.4 ppg and 2.5 apg in 2 years and was a 4 star top 60 recruit in the 2020 class. Tucker is a former 3 star top 350 recruit who averaged 11.2 ppg on 38% 3P shooting off the bench for CofC this year. Mann is a former 3 star Top 400 recruit, 4.6 ppg 3.5 rpg off bench for Vandy last year.

Georgia Southern:
Additions: Tai Strickland (Temple), Jalen Finch (Jacksonville St)
Departures: Elijah McCadden (Memphis), Gedi Juozapaitis (Maine)

McCadden and Gedi are big time losses for a team that struggled last year. Strickland has potential to break out for GaSo after a promising year with Temple (8.2 ppg off the bench). Finch is a quality grad transfer addition who tallied 10 ppg 4.5 apg and 38% 3P shooting in 2 years with Jacksonville St.

Louisiana:
Additions: NONE
Departures: Theo Akwuba (Ole Miss), Ty Harper (E. Washington), Trajan Wesley (TBD)

Louisiana has been shockingly quiet on the transfer addition side of things so far, they are usually always in the mix for transfer additions given their location and facilities. Theo Akwuba is a major loss, the former DPOTY is heading to Ole Miss. Ty Harper didn't play much as a freshman (2 ppg), but was a 4 star recruit out of HS and was a major pick up for them last recruiting cycle. 2 big time losses, with no additions so far

Louisiana Monroe:
Additions: Tyreke Locure (S. Alabama), AD Diedhiou (UAB)
Departures: Russell Harrison (Oklahoma State), Trey Boston (TBD), D'Marcus Hall (TBD)

Harrison and Boston are tough losses for ULM. Harrison was a 13 ppg scorer and one of their best players. Boston was a former JuCo standout who put up 10 ppg in the 9 games he played for ULM. Hall did not play much for ULM. They do add a familiar face in Tyreke Locure, the former Jaguar did not play for UAB this past season due to injury, but averaged 13.5 ppg and 3.1 apg the year prior for USA. AD Diedhiou is a long athletic big man from the Senegal who is also transferring to ULM from UAB. Did not play much for UAB, in JuCo he averaged 6 ppg 5 rpg and 1 bpg.

Troy:
Additions: Aamer Muhammad (Lubbock Christian)
Departures: Duke Deen (Bradley), Desmond Williams (UT Martin), Jakevan Leftridge (TBD), Rifen Miguel (TBD), Efe Odigie (TBD)

Duke Deen was the Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and is off to Bradley after 1 year in the Sun Belt, a tough loss for Troy. Desmond Williams is another tough loss as well has he started 60/84 games in 3 years at Troy (7.6 ppg). Efe Odigie was their starting center putting up 11.5 ppg and 6.7 rpg, another key loss for the Trojans. Leftridge and Miguel were just bench guys for Troy.

They have added Aamer Muhammad who was an efficient scorer for Lubbock Christian: 15.4 ppg 2.7 apg 50% FG /81% FT/ 36% 3P. They will likely be adding more via the portal if I had to guess.

South Alabama:
Additions: Kevin Samuel (FGCU), Isaiah Moore (Franklin Pierce D2), Owen White (Michigan Tech D2), Elijah Ormiston (Concordia St. Paul D2)
Departures: Javon Franklin (TBD), Jamal West (TBD), Andrew Anderson (TBD), Alex Anderson (TBD)

Javon Franklin is USA's biggest loss, The Auburn transfer averaged 12.2 ppg 7.8 rpg 1.3 spg and 1.4 bpg in his lone year in Mobile. The Anderson brothers and Jamal West aren't key losses as they barely played for USA.

The Jaguars have added 4 REALLY GOOD pieces via the portal so far. Kevin Samuel was the ASUN Defensive Player of the year: 12 ppg 10 rpg 3 bpg last year for FGCU, and is a former 4* recruit and 3 year starter for TCU. He is an impact addition. Moore was a D2 All American: 22.6 ppg 5 rpg 5 apg. Owen White was also a D2 All American, 21 ppg 6.4 rpg 40% 3P. Elijah Ormiston is a 6'8 stretch 4 who averaged 17 ppg 6 rpg and shot 30% from deep.

Texas State:
Additions: Tuon Gatkek (Florida)
Departures: Caleb Asberry (TBD), Deuce Guidry (TBD), Nate Lacewell (TBD)

Asberry was 1st Team All Sun Belt this past year and is a big time loss for the Bobcats. Guidry and Lacewell only played in a combined 20 games, so not key losses there.

Gatkek is a transfer from Florida who appeared in 21 games for the Gators: 1.7 ppg 1.8 rpg. In JuCo he put up: 9.7 ppg 6.9 rpg and 2.3 bpg. A defensive minded frontcourt player, a good fit for Texas State.

Marshall:
Additions: Kamdyn Curfman (VMI)
Departures: Devin Collins (Pikeville), C.J. Meredith (Charleston), Jeremy Dillon (TBD)

Curfman is a good pick up for Marshall: He was a 1x All SoCon selection for VMI. ELITE shooter, 15.5 ppg and 2.4 apg. Shot 39% from deep while taking 9 three's a game.

Collins/Meredith/Dillon all aren't key losses.

Old Dominion:
Additions: Ben Stanley (Xavier), Tyreek Scott-Grayson (Northeastern), Chaunce Jenkins (Wichita St)
Departures: Kalu Ezikpe (Cincinnati), Jaylin Hunter (Ohio), Brady O'Connell (TBD), A.J. Oliver II (TBD)

ODU is losing some key veterans. First their starting center in Kalu Ezikpe who averaged 11.3 ppg 7.1 rpg and 1.1 bpg. Jaylin Hunter is another starter they are losing: 9.7 ppg 4 apg 1.5 spg 34% 3P. Oliver started 54/75 games in 3 years for ODU, but his production and minutes went down each year (11 ppg in 2019, 9.7 ppg in 2020, 3 ppg last year). O'Connell only played in 5 games.

Ben Stanley is a QUALITY pick up. A super senior who struggled to get minutes at Xavier (13 gms played in 2 years), but put up 22 ppg 7.2 rpg and was a Big South All Conference selection while at Hampton University in 2019. Scott-Grayson is another super senior addition who in his career: 8.4 ppg 3.5 rpg 1.7 apg (@Northeastern and UAB). Jenkins did not play much for WSU, but is a former 3 star recruit from Virginia.

James Madison:
Additions: Noah Freidel (South Dakota St), Mezie Offurum (Mount St. Mary's)
Departures: Andrew McConnell (USC Upstate), Jalen Hodge (SIUE), Tyce McNair (TBD), Devon Savage (TBD), Jaylen Stinson (Merrimack)

JMU is losing 5 guys to the portal, none were starters though and only one saw regular minutes (Hodge 13.7 mpg off bench).

Noah Freidel is a good pick up from South Dakota St. Last year he put up: 14.2 ppg 2.4 rpg 40% 3P (6.2 attempts a game). Mezie Offurum is another impact addition, he tallied: 11.4 ppg 5 rpg and 1.6 apg and was an All Conference selection.

Southern Mississippi:
Additions: Neftalí Álvarez (Mercer), Austin Crowley (Ole Miss)
Departures: Tae Hardy (UTEP), Jaron Pierre, Jr. (Wichita St), Walyn Napper (Longwood), Rashad Bolden (McNeese), Tyler Stevenson (Illinois-Chicago), Javarzia Belton (Coffeyville CC), Isaih Moore (TBD), Artur Konontsuk (TBD)

Southern Miss is basically starting from scratch roster wise and I don't blame them after a 7-26 record last year. So I will just highlight their additions.

Alvarez was a 12 ppg scorer at Mercer, but is not a great shooter (50% FT, 24% 3P). Crowley is a former 4 star top 125 recruit, he only averaged 3.4 ppg at Ole Miss.... could breakout in the Sun Belt.
Last edited by HurricaneYosef on Tue May 24, 2022 7:15 am, edited 50 times in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Transfer Portal Watch

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:12 pm

thanks for the time and effort to post this - my concern for APP moving forward per the portal is that I just don't know why a quality player who could help numerous teams would come to APP. I don't mean to degrade anything about the team, coach, school, etc., if this were a team who had starters returning and was looking for a piece or two to take to the next level - Yes, but unless they can get several quality transfers to show others, hey, this looks promising I think we are in for a rough season or two.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:15 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:12 pm
thanks for the time and effort to post this - my concern for APP moving forward per the portal is that I just don't know why a quality player who could help numerous teams would come to APP. I don't mean to degrade anything about the team, coach, school, etc., if this were a team who had starters returning and was looking for a piece or two to take to the next level - Yes, but unless they can get several quality transfers to show others, hey, this looks promising I think we are in for a rough season or two.
You do have a fair point. The new transfer portal rules have completely changed the land of recruiting in college hoops. You are seeing more coaches use the portal than go after high school kids. The age of recruiting a kid exclusively for 4-5 years is ALMOST over. I believe it will eventually become a 50/50 or 60/40 split of guys who come to the program for the long haul (ie Shabazz, Forrest, Delph all 4 year players) and guys who want to use their remaining eligibility to PLAY and to WIN (ie Almonacy). Kerns seems to be going to more traditional route of recruiting 4 year guys (Eads Huntley Harcum Zocko etc), but the portal now allows to no longer need "rebuilding down years."

The reason a quality player would come to Boone for basketball is because they want to PLAY IMMEDIATELY and want the opportunity to win. In the past it was harder to convince a quality transfer to come to Boone to sit out a year and then maybe win. But now with our recent history and the new rules a quality player can come play immediately and expect to contend.

10 years ago we would have expected a down year after two straight winning seasons and losing (potentially) 4 of 5 starters from those winning teams. Traditionally younger inexperienced guys would have replaced Forrest / Lewis in our starting line up causing for some growing pains. Today we can replace Forrest / Lewis with experienced guys from the portal and be reloaded for another contending year in the Sun Belt. These were purely hypothetical examples, but I hope this helps you understand better :)

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:20 pm

Good coaches are able to get good players to come play more often times than not wherever they are...If not for the system they want to run...they adjust to players they can get..that is why they get the label good coaches...
If a coach can sustain winning for 4 to 6 years, magically players want to play there if the coach does not have a bad reputation treating players behind the scenes...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:22 pm

I do understand what you are saying and I hope you are right - but - I am afraid we can't attract all that we could really use -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:45 pm

here's a example of what I see as the problem for APP to attract quality players who would come to Boone and make a difference - I didn't know this until it was posted during tonight's game.
Texas Tech is going to the Sweet 16 and here are the guys they brought in as transfers -
Winthrop
Louisiana
UTSA
Hampton
VCU
ORU
All from mid majors or lower - now if it were you (take away the lure of Boone and the great university) where would you go?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:47 pm

here's a example of what I see as the problem for APP to attract quality players who would come to Boone and make a difference - I didn't know this until it was posted during tonight's game.
Texas Tech is going to the Sweet 16 and here are the guys they brought in as transfers -
Winthrop
Louisiana
UTSA
Hampton
VCU
ORU
All from mid majors or lower - now if it were you (take away the lure of Boone and the great university) where would you go?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:42 am

this comparing..to use football terms...a G5 to P5 idea..all the transfers for Texas Tech listed above would be transfer from a G5 school so to speak to a P5 major conference. Whether App or any other G5 school, there is going to be difficulty competing against a P5 school. If a kid is being told he has an opportunity to start at a P5 school, he would, more often times than not, take it. You get more exposure. In addition, Texas Tech just recently had the run with the former coach that is now at Texas. For App, it is baby steps, we have to compete consistently within our conference in the top 2 or 3 for several years to show we have a product that is worth playing for...If that comes into being, I believe we can get transfers, when needed, to help us consistently compete in the Sun Belt. If we do this, then maybe we win our conference tourney every now and again and get to the Big Dance. For now, I believe that should be our goals. Once we achieve those, we set new ones..
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:47 pm
Winthrop
Louisiana
UTSA
Hampton
VCU
ORU
We're not competing for those transfers. We're competing for the transfers that are transferring to G5 schools. Whether that's due to lack of fit at old school, wanting to be closer to home, playing time, etc.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 am

At this point in our development, App doesn't need future NBA players to improve. I do understand the challenge that WVAPPeer is talking about, but I still think there is an appeal for a program being coached by a good coach, trending positive, and in need of immediate impact (immediate playing time). I do hope we can bring in a couple to keep our trend positive. I believe Kerns is an outstanding coach, but he has a big task ahead this off season with all the talent we have leaving.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:54 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 am
At this point in our development, App doesn't need future NBA players to improve. I do understand the challenge that WVAPPeer is talking about, but I still think there is an appeal for a program being coached by a good coach, trending positive, and in need of immediate impact (immediate playing time). I do hope we can bring in a couple to keep our trend positive. I believe Kerns is an outstanding coach, but he has a big task ahead this off season with all the talent we have leaving.
I totally agree with you
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:58 pm

This is potentially good. I do not see him getting drafted. G-League or whatever it is called these days may be his ultimate destination if he wants it. If he wants to start in G-League, congrats and great to have him as a Mountaineer for life....with that said, he does refer to possibility of coming back..In the words of Jim Carrey, So you're telling me there's a chance...that is all we can ask for. No wrong decisions for Delph. He put in the time and should reap the rewards. I would love to see him back at App. St. for personal fan reasons.

#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Can a team contact a guy like Delph by saying he is looking at options or does he have to literally enter his name in the Portal?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:00 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:29 pm
Can a team contact a guy like Delph by saying he is looking at options or does he have to literally enter his name in the Portal?
If the rule is like football, then no, they can't "legally" tamper. However, it is the NCAA so it's possible the rule is different and the "legally" aspect has never stopped coaches from tampering....
tAPPedInSports.net

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:12 pm

agreed
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:05 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:00 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:29 pm
If the rule is like football, then no, they can't "legally" tamper. However, it is the NCAA so it's possible the rule is different and the "legally" aspect has never stopped coaches from tampering....
We all know there are under-handed ways of tampering with a committed player while putting forth the public image of a virtuous priest. We know it happens all the time; and we've been on the receiving end of that sort of hypocrisy quite a few times over the years. The two most notable and recent cases affecting App MBB involved UVA, NC State and Kansas in the official cases of App LOI signees Donte Minter and Devonte Graham.

AD's situation is completely different as long as he doesn't get lured into the portal. He stayed with us and gave his all for four seasons and his academic eligibility and his citizenship were never in question. He earned his way into the ASU MBB season and career record books. He did it the right way. If we're fortunate enough to get him back as a super senior, he'll be a huge puzzle piece to next season's game rotation.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:17 pm

In most cases contact is made with and through the HS or AAU coach. Delph knows who is interested.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 am

Curious. Does anyone know what Shabazz is doing now?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:46 am

appfanjj wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 am
Curious. Does anyone know what Shabazz is doing now?
Last I heard, he was playing in Finland
tAPPedInSports.net

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:19 am

I know a BUNCH of schools have reached out regarding Delph. I'm hoping this is him saying he will either go pro or come back to App.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”