Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB vs USC Upstate, Tues 3/15 6:30pm

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB vs USC Upstate, Tues 3/15 6:30pm

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:02 am

appvette wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:17 am
pop5app wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:06 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:59 pm
Told y’all early in the thread, these guys are legit. When I saw them in Charlotte, I knew they were solid. Not as embarrassing as some of y’all are making it out to be.
It’s the most embarrassing basketball moment in App State basketball history. And our history is not so good. Lost at home to a team with a losing record from the big south conference. AND we looked pathetic doing it! I think it’s time to call a pig a pig. No excuses.
Not nearly as embarrassing as your post.
Well. I guess you told me. Hope you are happy with this year’s results. I am not.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:23 am

Lots of variables go into a season's results including strength of schedule, which seemed to be stronger this year. We did finish second in the league, our highest finish to date. The end result is more disappointing than last year because of the tournament win and the fact that we returned the most important contributors. The current staff has certainly turned the program around. Now, they face the task of continuing the forward movement with an almost totally new cast. All indications are that of the starters only Gregory will return. Recruiting including portal shopping and player development will be vital to the continued success of the program.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:32 am

pop5app wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:02 am
appvette wrote:
pop5app wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Told y’all early in the thread, these guys are legit. When I saw them in Charlotte, I knew they were solid. Not as embarrassing as some of y’all are making it out to be.
It’s the most embarrassing basketball moment in App State basketball history. And our history is not so good. Lost at home to a team with a losing record from the big south conference. AND we looked pathetic doing it! I think it’s time to call a pig a pig. No excuses.
Well. I guess you told me. Hope you are happy with this year’s results. I am not.
The whole season? Yes it was pretty good by our recent standards.

Last night sucked obviously.

If we can get a legit big and keep Delph i think we’ll be in contention for the SBC title again next year. We should get Xavion back too.

Imagine saying that 3 years ago.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 pm

Also..we did enough winning at home to get the students back involved. He has to build that as well. I give him an A+ so far. AppState basketball is a tall mountain to climb. He is taking the stairs and so far seems to be doing a great job. I think we are a shooter/dribbler/slasher from being pretty good. Almonecy was good but just a tad to small to finish. I think we are really close to getting there. All and all it was a fun season. I expected to win every home game. It has been a while since I have been able to say that.

ASUchipman

Unread post by ASUchipman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:32 pm

Free throw shooters please!!!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:12 pm

In an earlier post I stated that there was NOTHING good about last night's game.
I would like to edit that.
There were two good things.
The student section and Delph. As always.
Hope both will be back next year.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:18 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:12 am
All one has to do is see the score to know we were in trouble. We aren't likely to win many high scoring games. While it's one of the more disappointing performances in a long while, it's hardly the most devastating. It certainly does raise a lot of questions about the future of the program, both players and coaching staff.
I'm really just asking: you think coaching is an issue?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 pm

appgrad.... The short answer is it is not a coaching problem.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:28 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:18 pm
hapapp wrote:
All one has to do is see the score to know we were in trouble. We aren't likely to win many high scoring games. While it's one of the more disappointing performances in a long while, it's hardly the most devastating. It certainly does raise a lot of questions about the future of the program, both players and coaching staff.
I’m going to say you don’t leave the gym till you hit 10 free throws in row period. I’m not giving any credit to scrimmage wins over Carter and sisters for the poor etc. So 16 wins is what we got. Some ugly wins , some ugly losses. That’s coaching. There was some really hard to watch basketball this entire season.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:01 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Kerns looked to leave last year. I was referencing that possibility again this year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:14 pm

Last year we caught lightening in a bottle and won the Sunbelt out of nowhere.Expectations raised .This year we finished second and I believe had we been at full strength , could have won it again .Not saying would have,but yeah I could see it. Last night was a step back , it was not the team that I saw in Pensacola.UpState played the under dog roll perfectly and was the better team last night. Congratulations to them.Free throws are mental and yes lost us the game but we just didn't deserve to win.I have seen us fall flatter ,with much more at stake too, in previous years .In any event the program is on the rise despite all of this .My opinion.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:48 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:01 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Kerns looked to leave last year. I was referencing that possibility again this year.
Spot on, Jerry. Kerns' comments on the post-game show last night, in my opinion, were those of a coach who was tired, dejected, disillusioned and ready to take a walk. Maybe he bounced back today. I wasn't on campus and I didn't run into anyone who had conversation with him. I do believe that this is a bullet we'll be fortunate to dodge over the next two months.

The second bullet we'll be fortunate to dodge is player attrition. Right now we expect to return Gregory, Duhart, Huntley, Eads, Brown, Mantis, Harcum and Glushkov. We have Littleton and Abson on the way. Not all of those guys are D-I players right now. Will they develop enough in the next seven or eight months to make an impact in November? Is there enough promise there to encourage Delph to return as a Super Senior?

What if Gregory and Huntley decide to hit the portal for greener pastures? What if Delph graduates and opts to move on as a grad transfer? Who do we have with the talent and experience to replace them in the line-up? More bullets to dodge.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 am

pop5app wrote:
appvette wrote:
pop5app wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
To say it was the most embarrassing moment ever is just silly. Did you see that we regularly had single digit wins over the past 10 years? Did you know that we own the most embarrassing free throw attempt in the history of basketball? The Devonte Graham debacle? Postseason ban due to APR issues? Did you know that we beat Lees McRae by 2 points a few years ago? Did you know that we typically make it to the NCAA tournament once a generation and it looks like Kerns will now have us in contention regularly? We won the tournament last year and came in second in the regular season this year. If you had told me that's what Kerns would give us 3 years ago, I would have been thrilled. We set an all time record for season attendance. Yet you think losing to a decent D1 team in the final few seconds of a postseason tournament was the most embarrassing in 100 years? The loss was painful to me also, but gain some perspective.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:20 pm

I did not see the game but I know Dave Dickerson from his coaching days at GW and Radford and beyond. I got to know him well in the years that he recruited some of my high school players. He is a fine, good man and a good coach and role model. He played at Denmark-Olar High School (Larry Davis, another alum), a small school in a backwoods little town. I haven’t seen his team play this year but I bet they we’re well-coached.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:44 pm

They are very well coached based on the game I saw.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:13 pm

appvette wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 am
pop5app wrote:
appvette wrote:
pop5app wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
To say it was the most embarrassing moment ever is just silly. Did you see that we regularly had single digit wins over the past 10 years? Did you know that we own the most embarrassing free throw attempt in the history of basketball? The Devonte Graham debacle? Postseason ban due to APR issues? Did you know that we beat Lees McRae by 2 points a few years ago? Did you know that we typically make it to the NCAA tournament once a generation and it looks like Kerns will now have us in contention regularly? We won the tournament last year and came in second in the regular season this year. If you had told me that's what Kerns would give us 3 years ago, I would have been thrilled. We set an all time record for season attendance. Yet you think losing to a decent D1 team in the final few seconds of a postseason tournament was the most embarrassing in 100 years? The loss was painful to me also, but gain some perspective.
Ok, your perspective is different than mine. It is true I was expecting a very good year (we all know why- 94% of offensive production back, 4 senior returning starters, excitement over our generational visit to the NCAA tournament etc.) There was plenty to be excited about! We play in a weak basketball conference. It looked like, to me, we had a better than average chance to win it. I still have yet to hear of another more embarrassing loss; perhaps losing to King College some years ago qualifies. The mere fact we might compare this loss to that seems to strengthen my perspective. What I saw this year was more of the mediocre “sameness” (real record 16-15) and quite frankly next year looks pretty bleak- Forrest, Almonacy, Lewis jr. gone for sure and Delph gone in all probability. This game was in a 4th rate tournament against a team that did not deserve to be in post season play…and they beat us at home. So, to me my perspective is fair and clear. I will add that I believe that Forrest, lewis Jr and Delph were on the roster from the previous coach and we did not develop any younger talent this season to ready them for next year. Thanks for letting me vent.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:11 pm

Thus far we are the only home team in this tournament to lose.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:10 pm

I'm sure we aren't his idea of a last stop and he'd like to leave while his stock is high as opposed to a potential down year after losing a lot of depth.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:38 pm

tough loss, happy to have had a season finishing top 2 in the Sun Belt. going to start a new roster thread soon

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:57 pm

For those of you complaining that it was “our worst loss ever”.... did you see the Kentucky game?????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”