Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men Basketball in the post-season for 2022

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Men Basketball in the post-season for 2022

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:18 pm

Men are playing on 15 March at home against a team to be determined in the post-season tourney Basketball Classic.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Men Basketball in the post-season for 2022

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:20 pm

Oops much like a college in Ohio I need to be clear that this is The Basketball Classic. It seems to be a new tourney in place of CollegeInsider.com tourney.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:26 pm

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:33 pm

Congrats to our Men's Team for earning the invitation!!! GO APPS!!!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:35 pm

McLean… you are right. It is the successor to college insider.com…. which is probably the best one outside of the NIT…. 32 team format. It’s presented by Eracism. Selection Sunday 3/13/23… after the NIT is released.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:54 pm

What is cool about this, they have a legit chance to win multiple games and potentially win the whole thing. NCAA tourney is an awesome accomplishment but even getting to Sweet 16 for a team in our conference is an extremely tall task.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:54 pm
What is cool about this, they have a legit chance to win multiple games and potentially win the whole thing. NCAA tourney is an awesome accomplishment but even getting to Sweet 16 for a team in our conference is an extremely tall task.
I nice run here could build some momentum for the program. It could not hurt that is for sure.

NCAA is 68 teams though not the top 68 with auto bids but lets go with that. The NIT has 32 teams so that is the top 100 in the NCAA owned tournaments. The CBI has 16 teams. The tourney that App is in has 32 teams so somewhere between 100 and 150 would be the rankings, more or less. I noticed VMI has already accepted a CBI bid.

It would be nice to get the monkey off our back and finally win a post-conference tournament game. 3 NCAA's, 1 NIT, 1 CollegeInsider.com and now this. Time for a W.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:12 pm

Wonder if C J and/or Justin will be able to play?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:19 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm
I nice run here could build some momentum for the program. It could not hurt that is for sure.

NCAA is 68 teams though not the top 68 with auto bids but lets go with that. The NIT has 32 teams so that is the top 100 in the NCAA owned tournaments. The CBI has 16 teams. The tourney that App is in has 32 teams so somewhere between 100 and 150 would be the rankings, more or less. I noticed VMI has already accepted a CBI bid.

It would be nice to get the monkey off our back and finally win a post-conference tournament game. 3 NCAA's, 1 NIT, 1 CollegeInsider.com and now this. Time for a W.
We made the semifinals in the CIT in 2010 (when buzz came back for a year). We beat Harvard at home (when they had Jeremy Linn), won at Marshall, and lost to Pacific, who then lost to Missouri State in the championship. We finished 24-13, second most wins behind the 25 that our 2007 NIT team won.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:37 pm

9Steelman wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:12 pm
Wonder if C J and/or Justin will be able to play?
CJ is good to go.Justin is yet to be determined.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:49 am

app97 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:19 pm

We made the semifinals in the CIT in 2010 (when buzz came back for a year). We beat Harvard at home (when they had Jeremy Linn), won at Marshall, and lost to Pacific, who then lost to Missouri State in the championship. We finished 24-13, second most wins behind the 25 that our 2007 NIT team won.

That Marshall team had Hassan Whiteside, who went to the NBA as well. That team was so close to dancing. Great product on the floor and a good many returned the next season but we know what all transpired that set back the program a decade.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:52 am

appgrad2010 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:49 am
app97 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:19 pm

That Marshall team had Hassan Whiteside, who went to the NBA as well. That team was so close to dancing. Great product on the floor and a good many returned the next season but we know what all transpired that set back the program a decade.
No doubt. Buzz had even better products on the floor during his 1996-2000 run at App, in my opinion. Of course, he had a few years to build it, but he transformed us into a conference contender right away. I know must of us aren’t fond of him for bolting after that 09-10 season, but he did things that have yet to be replicated at App (consistent 20+ win seasons) although Kerns and crew are on the right track.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:32 am

Kind of funny Fancher couldn't initially win with the players Buzz left him, then Buzz comes back and makes it to the conference final with the players Fancher left him.

Then of course we have the what ifs...Could Fancher have even made it to the conference final that season? Could he have coached a better game against Wofford to maybe have punched a ticket to the dance? Could Fancher still coaching that year have prevented the Capel/Fox era?

But to keep things current, I'm happy the basketball team will get another chance to play. In general I'm glad this and the NIT exists. Will it be watched must on t.v., probably not, but it gives the players and students (Especially if hosting) a chance to watch more basketball.

One thing I noticed from the article is...

"Each game of the Basketball Classic will be held on the campus of one of the participating schools. In lieu of a traditional bracket, the field and matchups will be set after each round."

Not sure the criteria they will go by each round they set the matchups, but I'm sure for those that can attend, packing HCC will at least show in that regards we're worthy of hosting a next round game. It also will help the team out.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:48 am

I am ecstatic that we are continuing the play. Love this format and teams opponents not named until results are in... disappointed I am in Boone this week working/visiting daughter while in spring break due to her having to work... Wish I could be here next week ..Go APP ST!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:53 am

Others in the Basketball Showcase:

Florida Gulf Coast (21-11, FWIW just fired its coach)
Youngstown State (18-14)

Liberty declined an invitation.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:31 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:32 am
Kind of funny Fancher couldn't initially win with the players Buzz left him, then Buzz comes back and makes it to the conference final with the players Fancher left him.

Then of course we have the what ifs...Could Fancher have even made it to the conference final that season? Could he have coached a better game against Wofford to maybe have punched a ticket to the dance? Could Fancher still coaching that year have prevented the Capel/Fox era?

But to keep things current, I'm happy the basketball team will get another chance to play. In general I'm glad this and the NIT exists. Will it be watched must on t.v., probably not, but it gives the players and students (Especially if hosting) a chance to watch more basketball.

"Each game of the Basketball Classic will be held on the campus of one of the participating schools. In lieu of a traditional bracket, the field and matchups will be set after each round."

Not sure the criteria they will go by each round they set the matchups, but I'm sure for those that can attend, packing HCC will at least show in that regards we're worthy of hosting a next round game. It also will help the team out.
And, of course the what if we had hired Matt McMahon, whose team is currently ranked 19 in the NCAA.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:48 am

app97 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:31 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:32 am

And, of course the what if we had hired Matt McMahon, whose team is currently ranked 19 in the NCAA.
I've complained plenty about that over the years. How you let someone who played for App, and coached as an assistant for 8 years leave with Buzz to Wilmington, and then higher Capel with only one year experience as an assistant take over is beyond me. Didn't want to raise my blood pressure levels this close to the weekend.

We seem to be headed in the right direction now. Can't wait to see Kerns recruit/portal more of his own players into the mix.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:13 pm

That might have been the biggest mistake in the history of App State coaching hires. We pass over a former Mountaineer player and coach with experience for a tar heel "name" with no coaching experience. Fast forward all these years later and the former Mountaineer is a perennial top mid major coach with multiple top 20 teams and tournament entries where as the other guy hasn't enjoyed any coaching success. What a huge blunder. It really is painful to think how much better our program would be had the powers that be just made the right decision, and it wasn't even a tough decision to make. Still gets me angry after all these years.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Would’a could’a should’a…….. you make the best decisions with whatever info you have……. and who’s to say it would have worked out the same way (as Murray St)….
We are where we are……

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:07 pm

Fisher DeBerry.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”