Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appersrule

Re: 818

Unread post by Appersrule » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

IGgreer wrote:Would have been 819 if Cobb showed up...
We're YOU there? Cause Charlie was.

And App Basketball has 99 problems but hockey isn't one of them

ASUPATCH
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Yosef wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:I have attended many men's Basketball games. I would never go to a hockey match. Never been to and NHL match. Its a Canadian/European sport not and American one. How many times have we won gold in Olympic Ice Hockey since the Miracle? Travel/Equipment expenses would go way up and its more schollys. NOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY. Look back to 2006-2007 we were doing a pretty good job putting butts in the seats. This isn't a long term issue. Just need to win. Getting a better home schedule (new conference) would also help.
I'm definitely not for adding hockey at the expense of basketball, but I'm not against adding it. It is more Canadian/European that is for sure, but the premier hockey league is here in the States, not some far off land. I hated hockey 5 years ago. After attending a few NHL games, I love it and I'm a big fan (though nowhere as big as football). I think it would be great for App to get some ice and do it but I wouldn't want it done halfheartedly. Either we're all in or we're all out. The worst thing we can do is be halfway in (see Men's basketball for an example).

The league may be here in the US but only 20% of its players were born in America. Its also a sport that is primarily NE and northern specific to the US. both Collegiately and professionally. Outside of Hurricanes fans the vast majority of hockey fans follow the Penguins Red Wings Rangers Bruins. We are much closer to Atlanta Nashville and how many thrasher or predator fans have you met recently. NC is overrun by Floridians yet I still haven't met a lightning or Florida panther fan. Caroline won a Cup a few years ago and people here and especially near the triangle got exited about hockey. It will die off. The Southeast and midatlantic region are football and basketball country. What division would we play in? Division one has one school outside of the NE. D2 and D3 have 70 teams. Some teams are closer but of those 70 teams......60 failed to average more than 800 per game attendance. How would we fund the program? Many more schollys than BBALL. Much more expensive equipment. Keeping the ice in shape and frozen probably isn't cheap either. There are plent of college basketball fans as App alums. The team simply needs to give them a reason to show up. (WIN)
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Yosef wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:I have attended many men's Basketball games. I would never go to a hockey match. Never been to and NHL match. Its a Canadian/European sport not and American one. How many times have we won gold in Olympic Ice Hockey since the Miracle? Travel/Equipment expenses would go way up and its more schollys. NOOOOOOOOO HOCKEY. Look back to 2006-2007 we were doing a pretty good job putting butts in the seats. This isn't a long term issue. Just need to win. Getting a better home schedule (new conference) would also help.
I'm definitely not for adding hockey at the expense of basketball, but I'm not against adding it. It is more Canadian/European that is for sure, but the premier hockey league is here in the States, not some far off land. I hated hockey 5 years ago. After attending a few NHL games, I love it and I'm a big fan (though nowhere as big as football). I think it would be great for App to get some ice and do it but I wouldn't want it done halfheartedly. Either we're all in or we're all out. The worst thing we can do is be halfway in (see Men's basketball for an example).

The league may be here in the US but only 20% of its players were born in America. Its also a sport that is primarily NE and northern specific to the US. both Collegiately and professionally. Outside of Hurricanes fans the vast majority of hockey fans follow the Penguins Red Wings Rangers Bruins. We are much closer to Atlanta Nashville and how many thrasher or predator fans have you met recently. NC is overrun by Floridians yet I still haven't met a lightning or Florida panther fan. Caroline won a Cup a few years ago and people here and especially near the triangle got exited about hockey. It will die off. The Southeast and midatlantic region are football and basketball country. What division would we play in? Division one has one school outside of the NE. D2 and D3 have 70 teams. Some teams are closer but of those 70 teams......60 failed to average more than 800 per game attendance. How would we fund the program? Many more schollys than BBALL. Much more expensive equipment. Keeping the ice in shape and frozen probably isn't cheap either. There are plent of college basketball fans as App alums. The team simply needs to give them a reason to show up. (WIN)
Not suggesting that we ditch basketball. Just think a hockey team would be a cool addition, but I agree, probably not financially feasible. Im no title IX expert but would we have to increase the number of schollys to women and add a womens sport? I think that answer is yes so it would really be a financial burden.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Pulled this off the Davidson board:

Attendance/Capacity

ASU 17.2% of capacity
Citadel 19.7%
WCU 24.9%
Chatt 25.1%
Furm 26.5%
Samf 26.8%
UNCG 34.9%
GSU 36.9%
Wof 37.7%
Dav 70.4%
CoC 76.6%
Elon 77.8%

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 pm

hapapp wrote:Pulled this off the Davidson board:

Attendance/Capacity

ASU 17.2% of capacity
Citadel 19.7%
WCU 24.9%
Chatt 25.1%
Furm 26.5%
Samf 26.8%
UNCG 34.9%
GSU 36.9%
Wof 37.7%
Dav 70.4%
CoC 76.6%
Elon 77.8%
Top three teams in the SoCon lead in attendance. Hmmmm :idea:

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am

hapapp wrote:Pulled this off the Davidson board:

Attendance/Capacity

ASU 17.2% of capacity
Citadel 19.7%
WCU 24.9%
Chatt 25.1%
Furm 26.5%
Samf 26.8%
UNCG 34.9%
GSU 36.9%
Wof 37.7%
Dav 70.4%
CoC 76.6%
Elon 77.8%
Elon's % is misleading since they have a 1500 seat gym. Here are the actual numbers... they're all pitiful either way.

Coll. of Charleston 3937
Davidson 3675
Chattanooga 2743
UNCG 2621
Western Carolina 1935
Georgia Southern 1608
Appalachian State 1428
Furman 1327
Wofford 1318
Samford 1259
Elon 1229
The Citadel 1171
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am

If you did attendance as % of enrollment we would rank at or the near the bottom as well.

Johnmoc1
School: Chattanooga

Unread post by Johnmoc1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Actually, someone pulled the capacity of UNCG's Coliseum wrong. UNCG would be at the bottom with the right numbers.....

It's not quite fair to Elon to look at just raw numbers, because they had several games that were sellouts. They could have sold more if they had had more tickets to sale.

I think both numbers start to give you a pretty fair view of where attendance really is for teams in the SoCon.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Only the bottom level of the Coliseum is used by UNCG bball. The top level is not available and thus is not counted as the available capacity.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

hapapp wrote:Only the bottom level of the Coliseum is used by UNCG bball. The top level is not available and thus is not counted as the available capacity.
So kind of like the HCC, only all our seats are actually counted?

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Gonzo wrote:
hapapp wrote:Only the bottom level of the Coliseum is used by UNCG bball. The top level is not available and thus is not counted as the available capacity.
So kind of like the HCC, only all our seats are actually counted?
Thats the answer. Close 3/4 of the Holmes, and boom, we lead attendance average. Lets get it done Cobb.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

What it really shows you is that nobody cares. They are home watching ACC basketball. That is what is on TV so that is what they have been watching long before they got to a SOCON school.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Well stated. The problem begins for schools like ours years before the students ever step on campus.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

bcoach wrote:What it really shows you is that nobody cares. They are home watching ACC basketball. That is what is on TV so that is what they have been watching long before they got to a SOCON school.
Not all watching ACC, I was watching MOONSHINERS.
Bring Your A Game!

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm

GlassOnion wrote:Well stated. The problem begins for schools like ours years before the students ever step on campus.
Yup, that's why the onus is on us as we become parents to expose our kids to black and gold, not shades of blue. Additionally, the onus is on the administration to put the pieces in place for a successful basketball program.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:Well stated. The problem begins for schools like ours years before the students ever step on campus.
Yup, that's why the onus is on us as we become parents to expose our kids to black and gold, not shades of blue. Additionally, the onus is on the administration to put the pieces in place for a successful basketball program.
Yes. Which isnt easy either, considering the Socon cant even keep us on PBS. I can watch a UNC game on the far side of the moon, but cant catch an App game anywhere outside of Boone. Not necessarily easy to pack the family up and drive an hour or two for a basketball game.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Appersrule wrote:

I live many hours away so you can STFU.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

"Not all watching ACC, I was watching MOONSHINERS."

Me too Huskie: I was relieved that Jeff had already made his delivery/drop before he was pulled over in the season finale. Also, it was good to see Jim Tom being his old "happy go lucky" self. :D

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm

IGgreer wrote:
Appersrule wrote:

I live many hours away so you can STFU.
So you were just talking out of your ass when you stated Cobb wasn't there? Explains a lot.
Give 'em hell!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm

WataugaMan wrote:"Not all watching ACC, I was watching MOONSHINERS."

Me too Huskie: I was relieved that Jeff had already made his delivery/drop before he was pulled over in the season finale. Also, it was good to see Jim Tom being his old "happy go lucky" self. :D

I figured Jeff was running interference for Mark. If they had a "Meet Jeff and Mark Night" at one of our home basketball games, I'd make the 12-hour round trip just to go.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”