Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Western Game

appmaj
School: Appalachian State

Western Game

Unread post by appmaj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Surprised there is not a thread started

appmaj

Re: Western Game

Unread post by appmaj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Good win. Was worried for a minute or two.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Thank you, Buzzy, for Nathan Healy. Now what do we do for next season? Well, we can start with a contract buy-out.

If Capel stays, with whom does he replace Healy? Rantavious Gilbert? OOOOOOOMG! :shock:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm

asu66 wrote:Thank you, Buzzy, for Nathan Healy. Now what do we do for next season? Well, we can start with a contract buy-out.

If Capel stays, with whom does he replace Healy? Rantavious Gilbert? OOOOOOOMG! :shock:
If one puts in the work that Healy has done, they could become the next "Healy." It's not like Nate was an immediate star.

I firmly believe the biggest need this team has is a point guard that doesn't the turn the ball over and over. I like Mike Neal's efforts but he really isn't a very productive point guard. If we had a true floor general this team would be a lot better.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:12 pm

appmaj wrote:Surprised there is not a thread started
That's how insignificant a win over Western has become.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:18 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
The truth is that everyone was riveted to the recruiting thread waiting on me to dig up who the potential walk on players were. ;)
Last edited by firemoose on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I was more than a little worried when Western cut it to 1 but unlike in a few other games, we made some plays down the stretch. It was a good win and one that we needed badly. We have two road games next week and cannot afford to take another home conference loss. We'd also lost 4 of the last 5 to Western and a season sweep would have been a kick in the gut.

Healy did so much on both ends of the floor, his forced turnovers really made the difference. Canty also seems to be rounding back into form and I thought Trice made some good contributions off the bench. Neal made some plays but also had some costly turnovers. Free throw shooting needs to be more consistent as well, this game would not have been close if we hadn't left 7 points at the charity stripe.

Best crowd of the year as well. Official attendance 2,852.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm

asumike83 wrote:I was more than a little worried when Western cut it to 1 but unlike in a few other games, we made some plays down the stretch. It was a good win and one that we needed badly. We have two road games next week and cannot afford to take another home conference loss. We'd also lost 4 of the last 5 to Western and a season sweep would have been a kick in the gut.

Healy did so much on both ends of the floor, his forced turnovers really made the difference. Canty also seems to be rounding back into form and I thought Trice made some good contributions off the bench. Neal made some plays but also had some costly turnovers. Free throw shooting needs to be more consistent as well, this game would not have been close if we hadn't left 7 points at the charity stripe.

Best? In terms of fan support? Last week was a larger crowd.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 pm

hapapp wrote:
asumike83 wrote:I was more than a little worried when Western cut it to 1 but unlike in a few other games, we made some plays down the stretch. It was a good win and one that we needed badly. We have two road games next week and cannot afford to take another home conference loss. We'd also lost 4 of the last 5 to Western and a season sweep would have been a kick in the gut.

Unfortunately, I could not make it up the mountain today but the crowd sounded/looked good on TV.

I could be wrong but I believe the official attendance was just under 2,000 last week, although I was there for that one and it seemed like more. Considering how little there was to cheer about, I thought the crowd for Davidson was pretty lively.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm

asumike83 wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Unfortunately, I could not make it up the mountain today but the crowd sounded/looked good on TV.

I could be wrong but I believe the official attendance was just under 2,000 last week, although I was there for that one and it seemed like more. Considering how little there was to cheer about, I thought the crowd for Davidson was pretty lively.
They adjusted it to 2900 according to DJ on the postgame last week.

http://www.goasu.com/fls/21500/StatsHTM ... pp0126.htm

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

hapapp wrote: They adjusted it to 2900 according to DJ on the postgame last week.

http://www.goasu.com/fls/21500/StatsHTM ... pp0126.htm
I stand corrected. I'm glad you showed me that, I thought I was going crazy when I looked at the box score after the game and saw 1,900!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree. I knew there were more than 1900 there last weekend.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

Glad we won but it is hard to get excited about a conference where after 19 to 20 games only 3 of the 12 teams have double digit wins and a winning record against D-I schools. This conference is a shadow of what it was back in the 80's and 90's.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am

Crazy thing is that we could still get a bye in the SoCon tournament. It seems like Davidson, Charleston and Elon have a stranglehold on the top 3 seeds but we are very much alive for the 4th.

As of right now, we would be the #5 seed, 1/2 game behind Samford. We get Samford at home 2/28 and have a better overall record. I'd be shocked if anyone outside the top 3 won the tournament but it sure would be nice to only have to win 3 games instead of 4.

We've got to learn how to win on the road, hopefully we can steal one at GSU and/or UNCG because Davidson and Elon will be tough. The home/away split under Capel has been night and day.

Capel's overall record: 38-45 (22-24 SoCon)
Home record: 25-11 (15-8 SoCon)
Road record: 13-34 (7-16 SoCon)

ASU2416

Unread post by ASU2416 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 pm

asumike83 wrote:We've got to learn how to win on the road, hopefully we can steal one at GSU and/or UNCG because Davidson and Elon will be tough. The home/away split under Capel has been night and day.

Capel's overall record: 38-45 (22-24 SoCon)
Home record: 25-11 (15-8 SoCon)
Road record: 13-34 (7-16 SoCon)
The home/road splits are what get me. A lot of times at this level the overall home/road splits are a bit skewed because of the non-conference schedules and the games we have to play on the road. The non-conference home games in Capel's tenure certainly haven't been as tough as the non-conference road games, so that plays into it a little bit, but that happens here and everywhere else. For that sake, I will just speak of the SoCon splits.

There is no reason for the conference road record to be 7-16. In this conference and with the caliber of players that have played here in JC's first two years and now this year, the winning percentage on the road should be well over 30%. I have been one of Capel's biggest supporters, but that split in the conference is what gets me about as much as anything.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Exactly. The non-conference numbers are skewed a bit because of the difference in quality between our home opponents and road but the SoCon splits are the biggest concern.

While we'd all love to dominate in home conference games, winning 65% is nothing to sneeze at but the road conference clip has to improve. This year is a perfect example: 4-1 in SoCon home games, 1-4 on the road. Of course, you typically will have a lower winning percentage on the road but we have to close that gap.

I knew as soon as the game ended that it would bother me all season but choking away the UTC game really hurts. We'd have a 6-4 conference record and the inside track to the 4th bye. Road games are tough but there is a big difference between 1-4 and 2-3. That one still stings.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Three of our loses on the road in the SoCon this year are by 4, 3, and 6. All winnable games.

ASU2416

Unread post by ASU2416 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm

All were winnable games, but the big thing is we didn't. Who knows, if all of those games are at home, we may win them all. I do like that this team has been competitive on the road, with the 2nd half at Charleston being the exception, but we should win those games. Good teams win games on the road. If we beat WCU and Chattanooga, which were the two most winnable road losses, we're 7-3 (3-2 on the road) and everyone in the conference is labeling us as a "good" team compared to the rest of the league. That Chattanooga loss stings more and more each week as we get closer to Asheville...

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Not only were they winnable but in two of them (WCU, UTC), we held a double-digit lead in the second half. Hang on to win those and we'd have a much different outlook on this season.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
"Best crowd of the year as well. Official attendance 2,852"

Evidently WCU is still relevant to a lot of people.
a.k.a JC0429

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”