Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GAME THREAD - MBB vs Carlow - 6:30pm, Tuesday, December 6h

agentpaul001
School: Appalachian State

Re: GAME THREAD - MBB vs Carlow - 6:30pm, Tuesday, December 6h

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:12 am

Yah ideally in a perfect world we'd see something like...

- strong mid-major to P5 travel tournament (e.g. one of the Bahamas tournaments)
- couple consistent home and aways with likes of ETSU / Davidson
- 2-3 P5 games

Notable one of the few bubble years for App was with a schedule not dissimilar to that: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... eason/2007

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:37 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:12 am

- strong mid-major to P5 travel tournament (e.g. one of the Bahamas tournaments)
- 2-3 P5 games

Notable one of the few bubble years for App was with a schedule not dissimilar to that: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... eason/2007
Now that's a schedule. Would love to see us play in the Charleston Classic. Always some pretty good teams and fans could easily travel. And it's Charleston right before Thanksgiving, who wouldnt want to do that?

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 am

If I remember correctly the last time we played in the Charleston Classic it was also a home football weekend. I live in Charleston and would have gone to basketball but was in Boone for football.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:49 am

appfanz wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 am
If I remember correctly the last time we played in the Charleston Classic it was also a home football weekend. I live in Charleston and would have gone to basketball but was in Boone for football.
I also live here. I think that was 2017 v Purdue, good game til the end. I usually go to that tournament regardless because it's a blast! great early season competition vs some regional common opponents and a few P5 teams. #AppsinChucktown

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:37 am
agentpaul001 wrote:

- 2-3 P5 games

Now that's a schedule. Would love to see us play in the Charleston Classic. Always some pretty good teams and fans could easily travel. And it's Charleston right before Thanksgiving, who wouldnt want to do that?
That was a great schedule but if I counted right, we are now playing 2 more conference games and 2 fewer games total. That schedule also included North Greenville, Montreat, and Brevard. So, the same number of, dare I say, "cupcakes." It was amazing that we scheduled all those ACC teams.
WE ARE YOSEF!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:04 am

JMU looks like a legit basketball team. Here is a what if. JMU runs through the SBC 0 or 1 loss but then losses the conference championship tournament game. Do they go dancing???
Can the SBC get two in with that situation?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:16 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:04 am
JMU looks like a legit basketball team. Here is a what if. JMU runs through the SBC 0 or 1 loss but then losses the conference championship tournament game. Do they go dancing???
Can the SBC get two in with that situation?
Furman essentially did that last year and lost on a full court buzzer beater and still didn't make it. Maybe the Sun Belt is stronger than the SoCon, so if they only lose 1 or 2 in SBC and don't win the ship, they might get an at-large. Looking at their OOC schedule, it's very weak outside of the 2 L's to UVA and UNC.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:37 pm

Interesting reading the comments here. I've watched 3-4 games and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Witness:
1) we have 4 bigs, 6'9" or taller. Walker and Abson are going to be a force and a lot of fun to watch.
2) granted we've played a couple weak sisters but even vs. Louisville and CLT we've played 8-10 players; depth is good
3) FTs have been much better
4) we don't seem to be living/dying by the 3 ball as much as in past years

My overall assessment is that once the young ones identify their roles and we get into conference play things will begin to gel. Getting ready for Wake will be nice.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:50 pm

I’ve read the posts in this thread and agree with all of them/you. I thought I knew about every school in the country, at least the ones in the south. But find out I don’t. Carlow? Probably a one building “college.” Belmont beat Trevecca Nazarene last night. Playing teams from the church league now. Regent? (wth?). Maybe you can get some players down the bench in these games but it isn’t worthwhile playing time. You go in a game up 30 you ain’t gonna get much of an experience. Be just as good to go in Brooke-Kirk and play pickup. I had a player years ago that signed with Clinton Junior College. He averaged about 5-6 ppg for us but he could guard. He came home after a year saying the team was a joke and the education was worse. Later they fired the coach because he was arrested for stealing from the Carowinds gate (he was the ticket seller). You can’t make this stuff up. The truth is stranger than the fiction. Why do we play these schools? Why not schedule UT-Maryville or Carson-Newman or the like? At least that is legit.

No one can squeal about Holmes Center being half-empty when these type opponents come in. Kills the interest. But at least it puts some Ws on the coaches record. Cliff Ellis can tell you how to do it. He’s probably got a thousand wins and 300 are against schools you couldn’t find with the best map out there.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:20 pm

I take it back - what I said about Trevecca. Got kin coaching in Nashville who says Trevecca offers a top education (just behind Vandy and Belmont) as TN institutes go. And they are trying to build a basketball program the proper way. My apologies to anybody affiliated with Trevecca or has a heart for them.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:11 pm

311neers wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:37 am
agentpaul001 wrote:

- 2-3 P5 games

Yah that match really well with our Alumni base. I went to the Myrtle beach (not necessarily Puerto Rico) tournament and it was cool to see how the different fanbases travel, Wichita St had a really good showing although in fairness that's a great time of year to leave Kansas and head the beach regardless of where it may be.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:57 am

Campbell lost to a 2-8 Evansville team last night

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am

VMI beat Carlow 106-67.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:48 am

We have some things in the work schedule wise for next season .Not finalized but would be progress , substantial , in my opinion.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:02 am

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:19 am
First NET rankings of the year came out yesterday prior to yesterdays game. I doubt yesterdays game changed much of our ranking if at all but this is where we and our opponents are: (as of yesterday)

App State - #243

Opponents we have wins over:
Louisville - #360
ETSU - #322
SE Louisiana - #216
NC Central #190

Opponents we've lost to:
Campbell - #180
Kennesaw State - #136
Furman - #125
UNC-Charlotte - #74

overall, not very good
Three of those loses were 5 or less points and the other one we were up 25. Seems we play back to our mean of 185 over 40 minutes.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:16 am

Hopefully ESPN will get involved like the MAC week and put some pressure on their properties to schedule us. Also it would be nice to get a Home and Home going with Ashville, UNC Wilmington, ECU, Charlotte, UNCGreensboro, Davidson.

I can't imagine why some of these teams would not sign up for a home and home. Our fans would buy some tickets to their home games. Was anyone at the UNCC game? How many App fans at that game?? Unfortunately It is easier for me to get to all of the games listed other than Ashville than to get to Boone.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:22 am

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:57 am
Losing to Campbell and Kennesaw state were pretty big moral killers in terms of getting people to the games. Especially on a big football weekend. People can whine and moan about attendance but it won't improve if we cant consistently beat who we are supposed to beat. Also, games at 6 and 6:30 don't help the out of town travel folks.
Maybe we should tarp off the "upper deck" and force people to sit in the lower deck to make it look more crowded on ESPN+ and help with noise. Would actually love to see us lose some seats for a box or two or standing room only area, make it more intimate like NC State has done with Reynolds Coliseum, that place looks gorgeous.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:27 am

311neers wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:22 am
HurricaneYosef wrote:
Losing to Campbell and Kennesaw state were pretty big moral killers in terms of getting people to the games. Especially on a big football weekend. People can whine and moan about attendance but it won't improve if we cant consistently beat who we are supposed to beat. Also, games at 6 and 6:30 don't help the out of town travel folks.
Maybe we should tarp off the "upper deck" and force people to sit in the lower deck to make it look more crowded on ESPN+ and help with noise. Would actually love to see us lose some seats for a box or two or standing room only area, make it more intimate like NC State has done with Reynolds Coliseum, that place looks gorgeous.
Always looks bad on TV when season ticket holders who have great seats don't show up and nobody sits there. Back in the day at Varsity gym the students jammed in on the home side and it got loud. I remember some of us sitting directly across from the visitors bench and we let them have it. Some of them gave it back. Hard to do now in the endzone seats.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:32 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:27 am
311neers wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:22 am
HurricaneYosef wrote:
Always looks bad on TV when season ticket holders who have great seats don't show up and nobody sits there. Back in the day at Varsity gym the students jammed in on the home side and it got loud. I remember some of us sitting directly across from the visitors bench and we let them have it. Some of them gave it back. Hard to do now in the endzone seats.
Definitely need to move the student sections to at least behind 1 bench. Have we ever renovated the actual interior of the arena? Other than the scoreboard, I don't recall any renovations. Would love to just see us move students in front of camera and lose 1 or 2 upper deck sections to create a pavilion entry or standing room bar area or something. Spend a couple million and invest in that arena that 4 or 5 teams use! It's been 22 years with no updates. 8,350 seats is way too many (I get it's used for graduation) but getting that number down to 7,000 would be nice.

Anyone know of any concrete plans in the future to do this? We are slowly seeing upgrades to other sports outside of football. Baseball got some nice facelifts, track a new campus, Field Hockey a new field. Basketball/Volleyball and Indoor all use Holmes, would love to see us pour a few million in making it more unique and intimate setting for homecourt advantage.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:02 pm

311neers wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:32 am
Definitely need to move the student sections to at least behind 1 bench.
This was suggested previously and most of the students said they wanted to stay behind the goal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”