Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Baseball Mega Thread

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:07 pm

Is NIL really a factor at mid level D1 programs? Hard to imagine that. I think we are still seeing some lingering effects of lost seasons from Covid. My two sons are college sophomores and played ball through high school. They virtually lost their entire junior year and there was little to no showcase ball for a while. You have to believe that a whole bunch of these kids simply stopped doing anything for a long stretch. They didn't simply bounce back so even otherwise talented players have gotten rusty both physically and mentally. The truly good baseball players are not that plentiful so we probably lack real D1 talent particularly pitching. It's not enough to simply throw the ball hard, ya gotta locate and change speeds.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:19 pm

Having mid 90's throwers on the bump is great but you have to develop them into pitchers. Like in all sports - you can't teach speed. Taking a few mph's off for better location makes a world of difference. Something that probably isn't considered is the fact the bumps at APP are turf. Unless someone else can correct me are there any dirt side mounds? If not, pitching off the god forsaken turf all fall and winter long - then to be off the mountain for the first month or so and try to pitch off a clay/soil mound is a huge adjustment. Pitchers are mental as it is and something as significant from going turf to dirt is a big deal. Then coming back between series and again back to turf. Not saying it can't be done but the adjustment is a lot. Subtle nuances make a difference.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:17 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:19 pm
Having mid 90's throwers on the bump is great but you have to develop them into pitchers. Like in all sports - you can't teach speed. Taking a few mph's off for better location makes a world of difference. Something that probably isn't considered is the fact the bumps at APP are turf. Unless someone else can correct me are there any dirt side mounds? If not, pitching off the god forsaken turf all fall and winter long - then to be off the mountain for the first month or so and try to pitch off a clay/soil mound is a huge adjustment. Pitchers are mental as it is and something as significant from going turf to dirt is a big deal. Then coming back between series and again back to turf. Not saying it can't be done but the adjustment is a lot. Subtle nuances make a difference.
This is true. I absolutely hated pitching off turf mounds.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:20 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:07 pm
Is NIL really a factor at mid level D1 programs? Hard to imagine that. I think we are still seeing some lingering effects of lost seasons from Covid. My two sons are college sophomores and played ball through high school. They virtually lost their entire junior year and there was little to no showcase ball for a while. You have to believe that a whole bunch of these kids simply stopped doing anything for a long stretch. They didn't simply bounce back so even otherwise talented players have gotten rusty both physically and mentally. The truly good baseball players are not that plentiful so we probably lack real D1 talent particularly pitching. It's not enough to simply throw the ball hard, ya gotta locate and change speeds.
When our conference rivals are doing it, yes, it is a factor. Take bias out -- would you go to App that is offering 1/4 scholarship or would you go to Souther Miss that is offering 100% tuition paid via NIL?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:56 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:20 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:07 pm
When our conference rivals are doing it, yes, it is a factor. Take bias out -- would you go to App that is offering 1/4 scholarship or would you go to Souther Miss that is offering 100% tuition paid via NIL?
That's what everyone was talking about in Pensacola.There are student athletes walking around Sunbelt campuses with real money in their pockets.It is targeted of course but the top talent , difference making talent ,is making money.
Last edited by Stonewall on Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:56 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:17 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
When I first saw it I was confused. I had never seen it before I went to a game at APP. Go back to a dirt mound - if it gets wet put some diamond dri and saw dust on it.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:04 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:56 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
When I first saw it I was confused. I had never seen it before I went to a game at APP. Go back to a dirt mound - if it gets wet put some diamond dri and saw dust on it.
No wonder why our pitchers have control issues. It's a world of difference between a turf and dirt mound. I can totally see having a turf surface due to rain but why not have real dirt/clay around the bases, home plate and most importantly the mound! If it rains throw tarps out there and as suggested, quick dry if they get wet. I've seen a lot of pitching, albeit younger kids but those turf/fake mounds are terrible. You can't get the same leg drive.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:04 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
No wonder why our pitchers have control issues. It's a world of difference between a turf and dirt mound. I can totally see having a turf surface due to rain but why not have real dirt/clay around the bases, home plate and most importantly the mound! If it rains throw tarps out there and as suggested, quick dry if they get wet. I've seen a lot of pitching, albeit younger kids but those turf/fake mounds are terrible. You can't get the same leg drive.
Hey keep everything else turf just a dirt mound. Also I do see it a lot for traveling ball because of the amount of games but me personally I can't remember any college having it. I'm sure it happens but rare.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:32 pm

All turf is happening everywhere. I believe Coastal is that way and I know High Point U is that way.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Hey keep everything else turf just a dirt mound. Also I do see it a lot for traveling ball because of the amount of games but me personally I can't remember any college having it. I'm sure it happens but rare.
Back in the Pollard days App had a dirt mound and around the plate.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:54 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

It's just an observation on my part...but I'm just an armchair

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:05 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:32 pm
All turf is happening everywhere. I believe Coastal is that way and I know High Point U is that way.
You are correct about HP (team ERA 6.70)
Coastal is grass but are struggling with pitching.

The 49ers just renovated their field a couple of years ago and what a mess. The whole infield is turf including the hill.(BTW have you seen their team ERA - #234 out of 295) The outfield is grass.

U of Cincy bearcats in the 90's had the same set up. It was weird. In fact the last EA NCAA baseball game had their field on it I think.
Last edited by Appmountaineers19 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:28 am
My feelings on Kermit is that he is a good coach in that he gets the most out of his guys and they play for him. He has proven to be an above average coach when he has talent to coach. Which begs the question, can he recruit talent or not. How much of that is factored into the location? At the end of the season, DG and Kermit could decide to part ways and that may not be a decision made by Doug.
Nobody will be successful here until we provide the necessary resources to be competitive with our peers. A lot has changed in the past decade due to the athletics arms race, portal, and NIL. We're well behind in all three areas.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:42 pm

Maybe the decision to build a $50+ million north end zone facility for one sport and a small but vocal set of fans came at the expense of a lot of other sports?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 pm

If an artificial mound was the issue opposing teams would have equal (if not more) issues pitching from it because they’re far less familiar with pitching from it than we are.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 pm
If an artificial mound was the issue opposing teams would have equal (if not more) issues pitching from it because they’re far less familiar with pitching from it than we are.
True. I’m not saying it doesn’t equally affect both teams, but I’m saying it may hurt us in recruiting. I know if I was being recruited as a pitcher and had a scholarship offer to two relatively equal teams, I’d choose the one with the dirt mound to better prepare me for pitching at the next level. As far as I know, there aren’t any turf mounds in the majors or minors. There are a few turf fields but they all have dirt mounds.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:04 pm

Fair point
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:42 pm
Maybe the decision to build a $50+ million north end zone facility for one sport and a small but vocal set of fans came at the expense of a lot of other sports?
Spent $50M+ for a building that looks 10 years old already…ouch.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:31 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

Correct. Mound and home were dirt. Now it’s all turf. I don’t know what the bullpen in left is, maybe dirt still? It was dirt in Pollard days. I would hope it’s turf now to keep it consistent, but who knows.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:29 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 pm
App has only had 4 games at home. Most games have been away so far. Obviously there are several debatable reason why things are going awry and most are out of our control. Like I said it was just an observation on my part. Love the banter though.

3 games (maybe) this weekend. All on a dirt mound :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”