2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:21 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:05 am
Baseball strength is migrating south east.

9/top 10 and 17/top 20 are in the South East (that includes the states of Texas and Oklahoma thanks to the SEC redrawing the map).

Highest attendance is in the south east.

Doug better realize that baseball is becoming a major priority to fans and prioritize improvement there. Prioritize recruiting budgets. Prioritize player retention. Prioritize coaching salaries.

I’ve been saying it on these threads for years…it’s time for fans to stop making excuses and raise our expectations. If it can happen at Coastal, Campbell, Western Carolina, ETSU, then it can happen at App.

Regional once out of every 3 years. That’s the standard.
Always been strong in the SE just not as strong when you start talking about mountain areas. Whether you want to hear it or not quite a few limitations at App when it comes to baseball (not an excuse but reality). TP will help but let's start with being able to compete in the SB on a regular basis first. Once that happens and RPI remains high, then you can start talking about regionals.

311neers
Posts: 3761
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1627 times
Been thanked: 1123 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 9:28 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:21 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:05 am
Baseball strength is migrating south east.

9/top 10 and 17/top 20 are in the South East (that includes the states of Texas and Oklahoma thanks to the SEC redrawing the map).

Highest attendance is in the south east.

Doug better realize that baseball is becoming a major priority to fans and prioritize improvement there. Prioritize recruiting budgets. Prioritize player retention. Prioritize coaching salaries.

I’ve been saying it on these threads for years…it’s time for fans to stop making excuses and raise our expectations. If it can happen at Coastal, Campbell, Western Carolina, ETSU, then it can happen at App.

Regional once out of every 3 years. That’s the standard.
Always been strong in the SE just not as strong when you start talking about mountain areas. Whether you want to hear it or not quite a few limitations at App when it comes to baseball (not an excuse but reality). TP will help but let's start with being able to compete in the SB on a regular basis first. Once that happens and RPI remains high, then you can start talking about regionals.
Once every 3 years as a standard is stout especially since we haven't been since 2012. Based off the past, I'd take once every 10 or once every 7. Would love to be in the At-Large conversation every year but that means consistent top 3-4 in the Belt. Just keep improving and winning more than 30 games/top half of SunBelt and we have a shot. Now that we have stadium improvements and fan engagement we have to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:41 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:05 am
Baseball strength is migrating south east.

9/top 10 and 17/top 20 are in the South East (that includes the states of Texas and Oklahoma thanks to the SEC redrawing the map).

Highest attendance is in the south east.

Doug better realize that baseball is becoming a major priority to fans and prioritize improvement there. Prioritize recruiting budgets. Prioritize player retention. Prioritize coaching salaries.

I’ve been saying it on these threads for years…it’s time for fans to stop making excuses and raise our expectations. If it can happen at Coastal, Campbell, Western Carolina, ETSU, then it can happen at App.

Regional once out of every 3 years. That’s the standard.
The comparable "mountain" schools such as Western (no winning seasons since 2015) and ETSU ( highest in SoCon is 6th since 2014 ) seem to be on par with APP.

huskie3
Posts: 4515
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:11 am

This may not belong here (did not want to start new thread), I saw yesterday that Coastal baseball coach said next year would be his last.
Bring Your A Game!

311neers
Posts: 3761
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1627 times
Been thanked: 1123 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by 311neers » Wed May 31, 2023 10:14 am

huskie3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:11 am
This may not belong here (did not want to start new thread), I saw yesterday that Coastal baseball coach said next year would be his last.
Still baseball related! Thank goodness, he’s done amazing at Coastal. I believe Campbell’s coach will end up leaving for a P5 job end of this year as well. Effects recruiting as we are probably recruiting some of the same kids.

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:15 am

huskie3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:11 am
This may not belong here (did not want to start new thread), I saw yesterday that Coastal baseball coach said next year would be his last.
Great coach! From what I read his cancer has not come back (which is awesome). Life is short and wants to spend time with the family.

User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 16639
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 2482 times
Been thanked: 2820 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 31, 2023 11:00 am

huskie3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:11 am
This may not belong here (did not want to start new thread), I saw yesterday that Coastal baseball coach said next year would be his last.
My first year teaching at Franklin County HS (VA) Gary Gilmore was a senior on the only FCHS team to advance to the state baseball championship game. Kempsville (VA Beach) won that game that was played in Rocky Mount. Needless to say, folks here have kept up with his career.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 12343
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 4727 times
Been thanked: 2572 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am

1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

t4pizza
Posts: 4966
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2526 times
Been thanked: 1773 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
If we finish in the top 6 of the Sun Belt, then a top 4 finish 1 out of every 3 years should not be a pipe dream. Top 4 in Sun Belt will get us into the region on almost every year. We really were not that far off by the end of the season to making it this year. I really don't think most people really appreciate just how good of a baseball conference the Sun Belt is. Southern Miss has the current longest streak of 40+ win seasons, CCU has a Natty and is hosting a region, Lala got an at large and we took 2 of 3 from them at their place and Troy got the other at large and although they took 3 of 5 total from us, every game they won was very close. I see nothing wrong with wanting a regional appearance 1 out of every 3 years. Nothing wrong with high expectations.

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
If we finish in the top 6 of the Sun Belt, then a top 4 finish 1 out of every 3 years should not be a pipe dream. Top 4 in Sun Belt will get us into the region on almost every year. We really were not that far off by the end of the season to making it this year. I really don't think most people really appreciate just how good of a baseball conference the Sun Belt is. Southern Miss has the current longest streak of 40+ win seasons, CCU has a Natty and is hosting a region, Lala got an at large and we took 2 of 3 from them at their place and Troy got the other at large and although they took 3 of 5 total from us, every game they won was very close. I see nothing wrong with wanting a regional appearance 1 out of every 3 years. Nothing wrong with high expectations.
Expectations are great. But we need to start with realistic goals first. This was the first winning season since '13. The team had a great season relative to expectations. Until they can consistently compete year in and year out in the SBC. Regionals every 3 years are unrealistic. They have 4 regionals in their entire history.

t4pizza
Posts: 4966
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2526 times
Been thanked: 1773 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed May 31, 2023 3:18 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
If we finish in the top 6 of the Sun Belt, then a top 4 finish 1 out of every 3 years should not be a pipe dream. Top 4 in Sun Belt will get us into the region on almost every year. We really were not that far off by the end of the season to making it this year. I really don't think most people really appreciate just how good of a baseball conference the Sun Belt is. Southern Miss has the current longest streak of 40+ win seasons, CCU has a Natty and is hosting a region, Lala got an at large and we took 2 of 3 from them at their place and Troy got the other at large and although they took 3 of 5 total from us, every game they won was very close. I see nothing wrong with wanting a regional appearance 1 out of every 3 years. Nothing wrong with high expectations.
Expectations are great. But we need to start with realistic goals first. This was the first winning season since '13. The team had a great season relative to expectations. Until they can consistently compete year in and year out in the SBC. Regionals every 3 years are unrealistic. They have 4 regionals in their entire history.
I get that, I was just responded to another poster that thought it was a pipe dream despite thinking top 6 was realistic. My only point is that if someone thinks top 6 on a consistent basis is realistic, then finishing top 4 every 3 years can't truly be described as a pipe dream.

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 12343
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Other
Location: Born: Almost Heaven
Has thanked: 4727 times
Been thanked: 2572 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 31, 2023 4:13 pm

I actually didn't say that we should/would finish in the top 6 Every Year - just associating it to the original suggestion of 1 of every 3 years
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall
Posts: 5688
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 2883 times
Been thanked: 2886 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed May 31, 2023 9:00 pm

We now have expectations , winning records ,making a run at title and/or a bid.With the anticipated extension comes a higher "bar".No excuses.

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:06 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:00 pm
We now have expectations , winning records ,making a run at title and/or a bid.With the anticipated extension comes a higher "bar".No excuses.


.500 or better should be the expectation going forward if KS returns (again surprised its not already done)

The rest..."higher" bar or not is just not realistic (maybe if it keeps going in the right trajectory 3-4 years from now people can have this discussion)

BambooRdApp
Posts: 4505
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1667 times
Been thanked: 3016 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:09 am

IMO, .
Captain Obvious statement here. You need good coaching..which I think we have. Since we have to overcome more months of colder weather.. especially during. early part of each season every year. We need to try to nullify it. It would help to have a better stadium steup for players. In addition, and maybe more importantly, state of the art indoor practice facilities... whatever that entails... best P5 practice facility equivalent... whatever that is..this would help to be competitive each year and for recruiting. Although good coaching helps, I believe we need these things.
Yes, a pipe dream I know. I really enjoy college baseball and would be at most home games when I retire in Boone. Be nice to have a winning team in more years than not
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

User avatar
APPdiesel
Posts: 2568
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 789 times
Been thanked: 1423 times
Contact:

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
If we finish in the top 6 of the Sun Belt, then a top 4 finish 1 out of every 3 years should not be a pipe dream. Top 4 in Sun Belt will get us into the region on almost every year. We really were not that far off by the end of the season to making it this year. I really don't think most people really appreciate just how good of a baseball conference the Sun Belt is. Southern Miss has the current longest streak of 40+ win seasons, CCU has a Natty and is hosting a region, Lala got an at large and we took 2 of 3 from them at their place and Troy got the other at large and although they took 3 of 5 total from us, every game they won was very close. I see nothing wrong with wanting a regional appearance 1 out of every 3 years. Nothing wrong with high expectations.
Expectations are great. But we need to start with realistic goals first. This was the first winning season since '13. The team had a great season relative to expectations. Until they can consistently compete year in and year out in the SBC. Regionals every 3 years are unrealistic. They have 4 regionals in their entire history.
Potato…potahto.

I believe in setting high expectations and doing everything in your power to hit them. I don’t accept the 10 year plan to slowly incrementally improve. This is the portal era. Deficiencies can be addressed every off season. Players we could never hope to recruit out of HS can be here making a significant impact next season.

Is 10 more years of 6th place in the sun belt inspiring to think about?

10 years from now will Kermit Smith still be in a Boone? I hope, but probably not.

My point is 2033 is an abstract concept that looks drastically different than 2023. We can’t assume linear improvement for 10 years. It’s got to be done in the next 3.

As t4 said earlier…we were *right there* this year. Think bigger.

Goal/expectation/whatever: App makes a regional again by 2025.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94
Posts: 10175
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Huntersville, NC
Has thanked: 6720 times
Been thanked: 4228 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:37 am

If everything stayed the same year over year,(players, coaches) then sure it acceptable to expect constant improvement. But the reality is that everything turns over so quickly these days that the only thing that stays constant is culture. Culture takes time to build.

Take football for example. Last year sucked and we had talent that on the outside looked to be good enough to continue the ride. However, the one ingredient of a good cake was missing in leadership. A player led team needs player leadership and last years team was sorely lacking in it and it showed.

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:46 am
1 regional every 3 years is a pipe dream I'm sorry to say - Finishing in the top 6 of the SBC is realistic I believe
If we finish in the top 6 of the Sun Belt, then a top 4 finish 1 out of every 3 years should not be a pipe dream. Top 4 in Sun Belt will get us into the region on almost every year. We really were not that far off by the end of the season to making it this year. I really don't think most people really appreciate just how good of a baseball conference the Sun Belt is. Southern Miss has the current longest streak of 40+ win seasons, CCU has a Natty and is hosting a region, Lala got an at large and we took 2 of 3 from them at their place and Troy got the other at large and although they took 3 of 5 total from us, every game they won was very close. I see nothing wrong with wanting a regional appearance 1 out of every 3 years. Nothing wrong with high expectations.
Expectations are great. But we need to start with realistic goals first. This was the first winning season since '13. The team had a great season relative to expectations. Until they can consistently compete year in and year out in the SBC. Regionals every 3 years are unrealistic. They have 4 regionals in their entire history.
Potato…potahto.

I believe in setting high expectations and doing everything in your power to hit them. I don’t accept the 10 year plan to slowly incrementally improve. This is the portal era. Deficiencies can be addressed every off season. Players we could never hope to recruit out of HS can be here making a significant impact next season.

Is 10 more years of 6th place in the sun belt inspiring to think about?

10 years from now will Kermit Smith still be in a Boone? I hope, but probably not.

My point is 2033 is an abstract concept that looks drastically different than 2023. We can’t assume linear improvement for 10 years. It’s got to be done in the next 3.

As t4 said earlier…we were *right there* this year. Think bigger.

Goal/expectation/whatever: App makes a regional again by 2025.
No worries you do you

Appmountaineers19
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am
School: Other
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:37 am
If everything stayed the same year over year,(players, coaches) then sure it acceptable to expect constant improvement. But the reality is that everything turns over so quickly these days that the only thing that stays constant is culture. Culture takes time to build.

Take football for example. Last year sucked and we had talent that on the outside looked to be good enough to continue the ride. However, the one ingredient of a good cake was missing in leadership. A player led team needs player leadership and last years team was sorely lacking in it and it showed.
Agree to disagree. The culture was started 7 years ago when he came. This is the first winning year in his tenure. Expectations are all well and good I'm saying temper unrealistic expectations.

User avatar
AppStateNews
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 2289 times

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:37 am
If everything stayed the same year over year,(players, coaches) then sure it acceptable to expect constant improvement. But the reality is that everything turns over so quickly these days that the only thing that stays constant is culture. Culture takes time to build.

Take football for example. Last year sucked and we had talent that on the outside looked to be good enough to continue the ride. However, the one ingredient of a good cake was missing in leadership. A player led team needs player leadership and last years team was sorely lacking in it and it showed.
Agree to disagree. The culture was started 7 years ago when he came. This is the first winning year in his tenure. Expectations are all well and good I'm saying temper unrealistic expectations.
If Kermit came right after Pollard, then yes, I would agree with you. However, Jones screwed the baseball program so much (thanks Cobb for hiring a friend as your parting gift), it took that long to build the program back. Culture was started the day Kermit came. Program had to come from absolutely nothing to what it is now.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”