Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2023 Baseball Mega Thread

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:55 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:44 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:40 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 am

Agree to disagree. The culture was started 7 years ago when he came. This is the first winning year in his tenure. Expectations are all well and good I'm saying temper unrealistic expectations.
If Kermit came right after Pollard, then yes, I would agree with you. However, Jones screwed the baseball program so much (thanks Cobb for hiring a friend as your parting gift), it took that long to build the program back. Culture was started the day Kermit came. Program had to come from absolutely nothing to what it is now.
Again I'm not saying anything derogatory at all about KS and the team. I for one wanted him signed half way through the season. What I am saying is that we are looking a team that was 5 games over .500 and people are saying SB titles and regionals in an unrealistic timeframe. TP is helping. Let's start with another +.500 season and deep run into the SBC tourney then we can talk about moving expectations from there.

You might know better than me since you are in the know. Why is there a hold up on the KS extension.
And what I’m saying is just an incremental improvement on 5 games over .500 puts us in legitimate contention for a regional. You’re failing to realize that we weren’t too far off this year (record wise…I understand we had a weak RPI and bad losses this year and absolutely weren’t talented enough for that). So it stands to reason that 10 games over .500, a mere 5 game improvement over this season, produces a team in the hunt for a regional.

Charlotte is in a regional at 34-26 in a weaker conference.
Samford 36 wins
Penn 32 wins
Sam Houston 38 wins
Lipscomb 36
Rider 35
Maine 32
Florida A&M 29!!!!
Tulane 19!!!!
San Jose State 31
Cal State Fullerton 31
George Mason 34

35 win teams in the Sun Belt make the post season.

35-20 records IS the bench mark for post season baseball and we were only 5 games away. Stop acting like there’s an ocean standing in our way because there absolutely is not.
Let it go big fella.
There is such thing called an Automatic Bid. Win your conference and you’re in. If not, you better have +-40 wins in the SBC to get a look. I’d bet most of those teams won their conference or else they wouldn’t be “dancing”. In response to Diesel. 35 doesn’t get it done unless you win conference.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:01 pm

I do find it quite ironic that the person that has had Kermit on the fire now seat for the last 3 seasons is now the one that is defending him the most...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:12 am

Not a great opening day for Belt teams. UL, USM, and Coastal all lost. Troy did beat BC in a slugfest. USM fell to SoCon champ Samford in extra innings. Coastal lost 11-10 after giving up 9 runs in one inning. Their starter left after 6 innings with a no hitter, then the roof collapsed.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:41 am

Although I did not believe they would lose first game, I thought CCU would lose their regional. They have too many injuries on the pitching front... unless they are back now
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:41 am
Although I did not believe they would lose first game, I thought CCU would lose their regional. They have too many injuries on the pitching front... unless they are back now
Is Sharkey hurt? I expected to see him yesterday.

Edit: Nevermind. He was tagged with the loss.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:01 pm
I do find it quite ironic that the person that has had Kermit on the fire now seat for the last 3 seasons is now the one that is defending him the most...
What’s ironic about information changing? When new information comes in it changes your perspective.

Yes, I wanted Kermit fired because he hadn’t yet achieved a winning season in Boone. That’s not at all unreasonable.

He posted a really good record this season. I do believe he’s earned a contract. This season changed my mind. Had he been under .500 again this year my opinion would not have changed one bit.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:50 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:41 am
I know we should root for Belt teams, but there will be no sleep lost over the chickens losing. Also, not sweating USM losing either. Had enough of their fans moaning and crying over every call during the conference tournament. That coupled with the Heels losing. A pretty decent first day.

GO APPS!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:18 am

Duke is a really fun team to watch. Pollard is such a good coach. Great manager of the game, very tactical and preaches competitiveness, especially on the mound. If he makes another run, major P5 schools will come calling for him, some already have.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:22 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 am
AppStateNews wrote:
What’s ironic about information changing? When new information comes in it changes your perspective.

Yes, I wanted Kermit fired because he hadn’t yet achieved a winning season in Boone. That’s not at all unreasonable.

He posted a really good record this season. I do believe he’s earned a contract. This season changed my mind. Had he been under .500 again this year my opinion would not have changed one bit.
That's fair. But when people with actual knowledge said to wait and trust what is happening you always responded with "no time to wait. He needs to be gone now."

It's almost like these people might have a clue...
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:41 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:22 am
APPdiesel wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

That's fair. But when people with actual knowledge said to wait and trust what is happening you always responded with "no time to wait. He needs to be gone now."

This along with telling people that they had a loser’s mentality when they didn’t see it his way.

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:52 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:18 am
Duke is a really fun team to watch. Pollard is such a good coach. Great manager of the game, very tactical and preaches competitiveness, especially on the mound. If he makes another run, major P5 schools will come calling for him, some already have.
Really good coach of the game. Learned that toughness on the mound at Davidson.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:00 pm

Not speaking of any player, team or teams --- just watching a lot of college baseball this year and I am surprised by the lack of quality throws from the OFers - I'm sure I probably have but I don't remember seeing someone thrown out at home or any other base - not from a cutoff, directly from the OFer
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:43 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:00 pm
Not speaking of any player, team or teams --- just watching a lot of college baseball this year and I am surprised by the lack of quality throws from the OFers - I'm sure I probably have but I don't remember seeing someone thrown out at home or any other base - not from a cutoff, directly from the OFer
Agreed. If you want to see a quality play by an outfielder, check out the play the Rider center fielder made to prevent Coastal Carolina from winning last night.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:53 pm

Yes it was - I have seen several great catches by outfielders, just no great arms
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:42 am

AppStateNews wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

We’re all just dudes on a message board. Nobody here is presenting themselves with an official title from within the App State athletic office so I’m not sure who your “people with knowledge” are. Certainly Doug Gillin wasn’t openly stating here “I’m Doug Gillin and this is why we’re keeping Kermit”. Anybody can claim to have knowledge but unless you publicly declare yourself as an *actual* insider, you’re just speculating with 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand information.

Some people wanted Kermit to stay and he had a fantastic season exactly when he needed to. Don’t forget the team got off to a hot start then slumped big time when the competition progressed past playing little league teams…and several here agreed it looked grim. But the team bounced back. It’s all a crap shoot. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. Things fell in a way that saved Kermit’s a** and I hope he capitalizes on it.

I hope it’s the start to a run where 30 wins is now the new standard with potential for more.

I hope App State baseball finds themselves in a regional next year.

I hope we have a program to be proud of instead of always moving on to football season by mid April.

We all want the same thing…a winner. So let’s focus on what it takes to ensure that.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:48 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:42 am
AppStateNews wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

We’re all just dudes on a message board. Nobody here is presenting themselves with an official title from within the App State athletic office so I’m not sure who your “people with knowledge” are. Certainly Doug Gillin wasn’t openly stating here “I’m Doug Gillin and this is why we’re keeping Kermit”. Anybody can claim to have knowledge but unless you publicly declare yourself as an *actual* insider, you’re just speculating with 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand information.

Some people wanted Kermit to stay and he had a fantastic season exactly when he needed to. Don’t forget the team got off to a hot start then slumped big time when the competition progressed past playing little league teams…and several here agreed it looked grim. But the team bounced back. It’s all a crap shoot. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. Things fell in a way that saved Kermit’s a** and I hope he capitalizes on it.

I hope it’s the start to a run where 30 wins is now the new standard with potential for more.

I hope we have a program to be proud of instead of always moving on to football season by mid April.

We all want the same thing…a winner. So let’s focus on what it takes to ensure that.
More worried about it being November and looking forward to February. ;)

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:42 am
AppStateNews wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Right. Kermit just got lucky. It had nothing to do with his coaching or building up of a program that was essentially given the death penalty by the previous AD.

It was all luck and it just fell a certain way for Kermit.

Guess it must be that loser mentality everyone but you has that makes us not realize successfully coaching at the collegiate level is all just a bunch luck.

And yes, people on here do have inside knowledge. But nobody on here will say where said inside knowledge is coming from or they'll no longer have inside knowledge. You don't have to accept that, but that's how it is.
tAPPedInSports.net

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:44 am

That "inside knowledge" has been wrong before, no further away than the basketball offseason.

Back to the topic at hand, congrats to Kermit and team, looking forward to the continued growth.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:39 am

I hope Kermit stays, I also hope he has to go find a new pitching coach. One or two guys having trouble finding the zone, OK. Pretty much the entire staff save for Xander and Welch for the entire season? Seems like not a ton of development is taking place.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:46 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:18 am
Georgia was a school that called Pollard. He was 1 of 4 options on their hot board. UGA decided to go with Wes Johnson, LSU pitching coach. Pollard stays at Duke. Hope they beat Coastal tonight!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”