Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2022 Baseball Mega Thread

goapps93

Re: 2022 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:28 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:48 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:50 am

I purposely used the word theoretically. I completely agree that you don't do that and that the team scholarships are divided and spread. Assuming that the big boy teams like UT do the same thing they manage to bring on guys to fill in spots 18-27 who are also probably decent ball players. The state of NC always churns out some pretty good high school kids so we should be able to fill out at least half the roster with legit talent.
I realize that you said theoretically. I’ll ask this question with full disclosure that I haven’t taken the time to comb through every roster in the state; but does the state consistently put out enough D1 talent each year to satisfy all the baseball programs in the state? If in state talent is by in large your life blood, it has to be deep in talent. Your comparison to UT bringing in quality depth is a bit heavy handed. Comparing a state’s flagship university with resources can be explained with what happens to football with P5s. Our #1 guy at WR on last years recruiting board chose to linger on the depth chart of a P5, at a position he was on record as saying he wasn’t interested playing over a school that prioritized him and gave him a clearer path to the field.
According to PBR, of the top 25 high school players this year (22 class) 12 are committed to in-state schools. The rest are all going out of state to play college baseball. Some of these 25 will get drafted. Campbell AND Wilmington have 2 each in the Top 20! Campbell has the #2, but he’s going to get drafted in the first round. ECU, UNC and Wake have 1 in Top 25. State has 5!

Yes, there is the in-state talent to support the NC D1 schools. I’m on the record of saying our current staff has done a below average job recruiting.
Agree. My two youngest played ball until they graduated last year so I followed it a bit more for years. Baseball is big in NC and there is legit talent everywhere. A 1A school can trot out a couple of legit pitchers and beat a 4A in a one off. Same generally can't be said for football.

The "academic " option is interesting. Are some of the big boy schools giving out academic scholarships for sports like baseball to help defray the limited number even if some of those athletes don't absolutely measure up?
You can offset partials with additional financial aid, but you can’t do it in lieu of. In other words, an academic scholarship would count against your 11.7 total.
I believe that was lifted in 2020 as a result of the pandemic. And before then, it didn't apply if student-athletes met academic requirements. That's my understanding anyway. I learn a lot in these threads. I didn't know until now there were head-count sports and equivalency sports.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:34 pm

The S & C of these playoff teams is impressive.Loads of power.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:58 pm

I believe I heard that ECU had over 5600 attendance on Saturday night -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:14 pm

For a Monday early afternoon game, they had great attendance. I wanted both teams (ECU and Beach Chickens) to lose today. :D Yes, the football hatred carries over to baseball..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:04 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:14 pm
For a Monday early afternoon game, they had great attendance. I wanted both teams (ECU and Beach Chickens) to lose today. :D Yes, the football hatred carries over to baseball..
Apparently so do the bleached mullets.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm

Keep an eye out for North Greenville University (D2) head coach Landon Powell. He's a rising star. He took NGU from 8 wins (in the year before he took over) to 51 wins and playing for a D2 national championship in 7 seasons at a Christian college in Tigerville, SC (half way between Greenville and Asheville). He played at South Carolina and for the Oakland A's as a catcher.

South Carolina will want to bring him back to Columbia but haven't fired their coach yet. I wonder if he'll stay at NGU until the SC job comes open or take an in-between stop.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm
Keep an eye out for North Greenville University (D2) head coach Landon Powell. He's a rising star. He took NGU from 8 wins (in the year before he took over) to 51 wins and playing for a D2 national championship in 7 seasons at a Christian college in Tigerville, SC (half way between Greenville and Asheville). He played at South Carolina and for the Oakland A's as a catcher.

South Carolina will want to bring him back to Columbia but haven't fired their coach yet. I wonder if he'll stay at NGU until the SC job comes open or take an in-between stop.
Is he not on Clemson’s radar?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm

Is he not on Clemson’s radar?
I’d be surprised if he wasn’t BUT he did play at South Carolina. Who knows how he might feel about coaching his former rival.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 22 of the games we played this year were against teams that played in the CWS regionals.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:46 pm

And Southern Miss is in regionals
Bring Your A Game!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:07 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, but 22 of the games we played this year were against teams that played in the CWS regionals.
I am not sure what you are saying here...if it is a good or a bad thing. I see it as a good thing. We need that tough schedule to have a high enough RPI to make the playoffs. We just have to win those games. Winning the conference championship has some luck to it. Having a high RPI is a better way to control making the playoffs.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:16 am

Just stating the fact. Not making an opinion- good or bad. It is “food for thought” in the discussion.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:56 am

The real question is how *should* we be scheduling?

2022 we scheduled very tough and even though we only won at a .385 clip, we managed to hold a 113 RPI. Playing a tougher schedule is probably a recruiting tool “come here and play against the best” but losing records can’t inspire a lot of top level recruits to sign.

We could schedule easy to pick up more wins. Winning cures everything right?

Is the answer a hybrid of the 2? Schedule more weak mid week opponents and sprinkle in 3 or 4 tough opponents throughout the season? How might a weaker schedule affect ticket sales? All legitimate concerns.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:16 am

I guess it depends on what is important. I mean we were 10-13 against the toughest OOC schedule in the country. Say you play weaker teams and go 17-6 and pair that with our 10-20 conference record. Does 27-26, with an RPI of 200+ make us look better than we are? It still leaves us on the couch come Regionals.

Softball was 19-9 OOC with one of the worst SOS in the country. But they finished above .500 for the year.

To your point that winning is contagious. It could be, for the program, for the fan base, and alumni. But does playing weaker competition make us better?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:40 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:16 am
I guess it depends on what is important. I mean we were 10-13 against the toughest OOC schedule in the country. Say you play weaker teams and go 17-6 and pair that with our 10-20 conference record. Does 27-26, with an RPI of 200+ make us look better than we are? It still leaves us on the couch come Regionals.

Softball was 19-9 OOC with one of the worst SOS in the country. But they finished above .500 for the year.

To your point that winning is contagious. It could be, for the program, for the fan base, and alumni. But does playing weaker competition make us better?
It's a complicated answer. You do have to walk before you run, so it does help to gain some confidence by having some success OOC. On the other hand, softball, which does tend to take that approach, starts off pretty successfully but then fades as the conference schedule gets tougher. But, it does seem that they are gradually becoming more competitive in Sun Belt play.

Then there's always the case of Texas State, who went from worst to best in the course of one season. They played a far easier out of conference schedule last year than this year but performed at a significantly higher level.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:51 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:40 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:16 am

It's a complicated answer. You do have to walk before you run, so it does help to gain some confidence by having some success OOC. On the other hand, softball, which does tend to take that approach, starts off pretty successfully but then fades as the conference schedule gets tougher. But, it does seem that they are gradually becoming more competitive in Sun Belt play.

Then there's always the case of Texas State, who went from worst to best in the course of one season. They played a far easier out of conference schedule last year than this year but performed at a significantly higher level.
Agree with all of this. Which was my point all along. It is a complicated answer and one that can’t be ascertained by looking at wins and losses in a vacuum.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:48 pm

Out of conference series are meaningful , mid-week games much less so.I look at our peers as our conference mates.We need to get competitive in the Sunbelt.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:10 pm

I would argue that we should go for all tough schedules for the Sunbelt. We as a whole will end up with more teams in the playoffs. Although we had a bad year, Texas States wins look better if we are 113 with a bad year vs 200 with a good year. When we have a good year it will look better for us. I would think recruites would want to play the most well known names....meaning tougher schedules. recruits believe they will win at those tough games and will want the opportunity. Just my 2 cents.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 am

Do schools make any money when they get into the regional? Is it like the March Madness deal where you earn a certain amount of money for a win? Obviously there can't be much but is there any monetary incentive for schools? It's not all about money but I keep reading that App needs to put more money into the program. Based on some of the blowouts in the regional round there are lots of schools who made it but had no chance especially having to play several games in a few days.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 am

Last year’s baseball megathread ran for 12 pages. This year’s has run for 33 and counting.

We’re taking about App Baseball. We’re dissecting App Baseball. We’re all *gasp* buying into App Baseball I see this as the start of a beautiful thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”