Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2022 Baseball Mega Thread

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2022 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:11 pm
Have you guys seen some the scores from the regionals? - There seems to be a shortage of solid pitching just about everywhere -
Okie St scored 29 after being down 12-0 to the opponent...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:28 pm

5 games have had one team score 10+ runs in one inning ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:46 pm

Balls flying out of the park!
Bring Your A Game!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:12 am

Coastal a win over ECU (who had won over 20 straight) from Super Regionals.

I know it's been said but help me understand. Every D1 baseball program funds the same number of scholarships correct? Theoretically if App gave 100% to (I think) 11 players don't the rest pay their way? I read it's 11.7 of a max 27 players. Obviously you need probably about 18ish legit players to succeed. I've been around the game for years and have seen teams with 2-3 legit starting pitchers and probably 6 or so studs in the field dominate. At higher college levels you probably need 3 legit bullpen guys. Based on the scores this weekend even the good teams lack enough pitching to get through 3-5 games in a long weekend.

That being said if we (theoretically) were able to bring in 8-9 studs a year on full scholarship with the rest receiving some academic offset, a grant or simply paying their way we could compete. There are the big boy programs out there but there are also lesser known schools who make WS runs as well. I think that many good baseball players don't really care where they play as long as it's free.

As far as the cold weather goes look at the flip side- how many traditional warm weather schools had bad records? It's not like every single southern school has advanced in the tournament.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:40 am

Highly doubtful that you are going to use a full scholarship on one player, much less 8-9. They spread them out over a 25 man roster. That’s not even 1/2 a scholarship per player.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:51 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:12 am

I know it's been said but help me understand. Every D1 baseball program funds the same number of scholarships correct? Theoretically if App gave 100% to (I think) 11 players don't the rest pay their way? I read it's 11.7 of a max 27 players. Obviously you need probably about 18ish legit players to succeed. I've been around the game for years and have seen teams with 2-3 legit starting pitchers and probably 6 or so studs in the field dominate. At higher college levels you probably need 3 legit bullpen guys. Based on the scores this weekend even the good teams lack enough pitching to get through 3-5 games in a long weekend.

That being said if we (theoretically) were able to bring in 8-9 studs a year on full scholarship with the rest receiving some academic offset, a grant or simply paying their way we could compete. There are the big boy programs out there but there are also lesser known schools who make WS runs as well. I think that many good baseball players don't really care where they play as long as it's free.

As far as the cold weather goes look at the flip side- how many traditional warm weather schools had bad records? It's not like every single southern school has advanced in the tournament.
How do you bring in 8-9 studs per year on full scholarship when the limit is 11.7? If we could do that, it would be pretty straight forward building a team. That's not really an option though.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:04 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:51 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

How do you bring in 8-9 studs per year on full scholarship when the limit is 11.7? If we could do that, it would be pretty straight forward building a team. That's not really an option though.
Plus it’s not a good way to build cohesion among the team members.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:08 am

Anyone catch any of the games from ECU on tv this weekend? Just looking at the crowds and support for their Pirates baseball team should be a pretty good indication of how far behind the curve we are. Why can’t we support our teams in this manner outside of football?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:08 am

That is a good question. I wonder if that fan support for ECU is there during a regular season game for a below .500 baseball team. A few years ago, I went to the ECU/UNC football game in Greenville. ECU had been not very good for a few years. The game was not even a sellout. We were sitting about 20 to 25 rows up and you could lay down and take a nap given the amount of unoccupied aluminum seating. If you go to an ECU basketball game, crickets unless it is Memphis, Cincy, etc.
If we were hosting a regional in baseball, I would think we would have much higher support. Maybe not ECU level given stadium size differences, etc. ECU support of baseball is due to many years of being successful in building quality teams. I would believe, if we had several years of winning the Sunbelt, we would have much better fan support. If you build it, they will come..so to speak.

With that said, EasyU had great support this weekend and will have today for the deciding game. The fans are behind them given the track record.
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:50 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:04 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I purposely used the word theoretically. I completely agree that you don't do that and that the team scholarships are divided and spread. Assuming that the big boy teams like UT do the same thing they manage to bring on guys to fill in spots 18-27 who are also probably decent ball players. The state of NC always churns out some pretty good high school kids so we should be able to fill out at least half the roster with legit talent.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:31 am

All schools rely on alternatives to "athletic grants in aid" to provide baseball scholarships (and other sports with limitations). That's why it's important to give to the ASU Foundation as well as Yosef. Hopefully we're recruiting baseball players who excel academically and can qualify for academic money. I have a friend whose son is a Junior catcher and has committed to Duke (kid's a stud player). They can also only award 11.7 athletic scholarships. He'll rely on "academic" money (which Duke has plenty of) for help with the rest. The NCAA needs, among other things, to increase the allowed number of athletic grants for baseball. It's ridiculous that football gets 85 and baseball only gets 11.7.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:35 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:50 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I purposely used the word theoretically. I completely agree that you don't do that and that the team scholarships are divided and spread. Assuming that the big boy teams like UT do the same thing they manage to bring on guys to fill in spots 18-27 who are also probably decent ball players. The state of NC always churns out some pretty good high school kids so we should be able to fill out at least half the roster with legit talent.
Yes, the scholarship can be divided or awarded in whole. This is exactly how some of the ‘lower level’ programs will secure a ‘high level’ recruit versus a traditional power. If our coaching staff wanted to award 100% to 2-3 guys a year it’s definitely a way to do it. My understanding is this is more common when you’re bringing a guy in from a JUCO = less risk of tying up a scholarship for 4+ years.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I realize that you said theoretically. I’ll ask this question with full disclosure that I haven’t taken the time to comb through every roster in the state; but does the state consistently put out enough D1 talent each year to satisfy all the baseball programs in the state? If in state talent is by in large your life blood, it has to be deep in talent. Your comparison to UT bringing in quality depth is a bit heavy handed. Comparing a state’s flagship university with resources can be explained with what happens to football with P5s. Our #1 guy at WR on last years recruiting board chose to linger on the depth chart of a P5, at a position he was on record as saying he wasn’t interested playing over a school that prioritized him and gave him a clearer path to the field.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:48 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I realize that you said theoretically. I’ll ask this question with full disclosure that I haven’t taken the time to comb through every roster in the state; but does the state consistently put out enough D1 talent each year to satisfy all the baseball programs in the state? If in state talent is by in large your life blood, it has to be deep in talent. Your comparison to UT bringing in quality depth is a bit heavy handed. Comparing a state’s flagship university with resources can be explained with what happens to football with P5s. Our #1 guy at WR on last years recruiting board chose to linger on the depth chart of a P5, at a position he was on record as saying he wasn’t interested playing over a school that prioritized him and gave him a clearer path to the field.
According to PBR, of the top 25 high school players this year (22 class) 12 are committed to in-state schools. The rest are all going out of state to play college baseball. Some of these 25 will get drafted. Campbell AND Wilmington have 2 each in the Top 20! Campbell has the #2, but he’s going to get drafted in the first round. ECU, UNC and Wake have 1 in Top 25. State has 5!

Yes, there is the in-state talent to support the NC D1 schools. I’m on the record of saying our current staff has done a below average job recruiting.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

According to PBR, of the top 25 high school players this year (22 class) 12 are committed to in-state schools. The rest are all going out of state to play college baseball. Some of these 25 will get drafted. Campbell AND Wilmington have 2 each in the Top 20! Campbell has the #2, but he’s going to get drafted in the first round. ECU, UNC and Wake have 1 in Top 25. State has 5!

Yes, there is the in-state talent to support the NC D1 schools. I’m on the record of saying our current staff has done a below average job recruiting.
Agree. My two youngest played ball until they graduated last year so I followed it a bit more for years. Baseball is big in NC and there is legit talent everywhere. A 1A school can trot out a couple of legit pitchers and beat a 4A in a one off. Same generally can't be said for football.

The "academic " option is interesting. Are some of the big boy schools giving out academic scholarships for sports like baseball to help defray the limited number even if some of those athletes don't absolutely measure up?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I think that it’s a fair assessment to question recruiting. I guess the follow up would be were we recruiting the kids and what makes Campbell and UNCW more appealing? Wanting a Top 25 state kid and getting one is a different conversation.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:27 pm

Less than half of UNC baseball squad is from NC. Over half of NC State baseball squad is from out of state
You have to recruit in-state. However, you need funding to recruit out of state effectively as well.
#99ForPresident!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:27 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:27 pm
Less than half of UNC baseball squad is from NC. Over half of NC State baseball squad is from from NC.
You have to recruit in-state. However, you need funding to recruit out of state effectively as well.
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:28 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 pm
Boone Goon wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Agree. My two youngest played ball until they graduated last year so I followed it a bit more for years. Baseball is big in NC and there is legit talent everywhere. A 1A school can trot out a couple of legit pitchers and beat a 4A in a one off. Same generally can't be said for football.

The "academic " option is interesting. Are some of the big boy schools giving out academic scholarships for sports like baseball to help defray the limited number even if some of those athletes don't absolutely measure up?
You can offset partials with additional financial aid, but you can’t do it in lieu of. In other words, an academic scholarship would count against your 11.7 total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:29 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Less than half of UNC baseball squad is from NC. Over half of NC State baseball squad is from from NC.
I would add that you need the recruiting budget to kick over rocks to find the hidden gems.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”