Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2022 Baseball Mega Thread

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2022 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:47 pm

App baseball has a 15 year old stadium that's recently undergone renovations, has a state of the art playing surface installed in 2020, on-site locker rooms, recovery equipment, coaches offices, batting and pitching facilities. Other than a full size IPF where guys can shag real fly balls (which NOBODY has) and take infield practice when it's blistering cold outside...what do we not have? Legitimately asking...what do we not have that other better programs have? Can (or does) the team practice in the football IPF if needed during coldest months? I understand that Boone presents unique challenges*, but acting like they're insurmountable is frankly a loser's mentality.

*Note North Dakota State...which is basically located on Hoth has a 21-11 record (albeit in a lesser conference) and is ranked 27 spots higher than us in ESPN's RPI.

https://appstatesports.com/facilities/b ... -stadium/6

Kermit Smith had a combined 479-362 at his previous two stops Belmont Abbey and Lander. The man clearly knows how to coach, but is 91-140 at App State. I would be FLABBERGASTED if App puts less money into their baseball program than those two schools.

If 91-140 is good enough for you then we have the right coach.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:00 pm

Diesel. We get it. You’re frustrated and emotional over the baseball team’s performance. Great man. Your fandom is certainly understandable. We gave you the obstacles, hurdles and challenges presented to having a successful baseball team in Boone and you lumped everything that you don’t agree with as a “loser’s mentality.” That’s fine. To each his own. My advice is to write a well articulated email voicing your concerns to Gillin and Smith instead of griping to us losers. Although, I seriously doubt they will satisfy you with their reply, if you get one. Peace out.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:05 pm

;) Doug Gillin replied and a high ranking member of our SID's office reached out unsolicited. No, I'm not going to share their responses.

Edit: The "loser's mentality" comment is in reference to not just you 94 but everyone who says factors that have been overcome in other locations can't be overcome in Boone. It is in direct reference to you, 94 who says App State Athletics is not putting resources into baseball and that we don't have what we need to compete when a search of facilities at App State proves money has been spent. You've used "lack of resources" as an umbrella term but only provided one actual number...Kermit's salary relative to other Sun Belt salaries. That IS a valuable piece of the puzzle, but you haven't provided anything else to show that money isn't being spent on App baseball.

I am not going to do the research for you...that's up to you to make your own points but if you can prove that over the last 5-10 years App State is spending significantly less on facilities, recruiting budgets, marketing, etc then you'll ACTUALLY have a point. Until then you're just making blind assertions in a sad attempt to not admit that you're wrong.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm

I found this information here: https://www.sportico.com/business/comme ... 234646029/
It doesn't break down baseball from the other sports category but it does give an overall view of how much we and our conference brethren spend on our teams:

Figures for 2019-2020
FB: App $9.7m ASU 12.4m CCU 12.3m GS 8.9m GSU 8.8m UL 11.9m ULM 3.3m MU 10.1m ODU 12.2m USA 8.7m USM 8.4m TxSt 8.7m
Troy 8.2m
MBB: App $1.9m ASU 2.1m CCU 4m GS 1.6m GSU 2.6m UL 2.5m ULM .5m MU 3m ODU 3.5m USA 1.8m USM 1.8m TxSt 1.8m Troy 2.1m
WBB: App $1.6m ASU 1.5m CCU 3.6m GS 1.2m GSU 1.8m UL 1.7m ULM .3m MU 1.5m ODU 2.5m USA 1.3m USM 1.4m TxSt 1.3m
Troy 1.9m
Others: App $7.4m ASU 6.5m CCU 14.7m GS 6.3m GSU 7.6m UL 8.8m ULM 1m MU 7.5m ODU 11.2m USA 6.5m USM 5.6m TxSt 6m
Troy 6m

The database did not include JMU because it only contained FBS schools.

We ranked 6th in FB operating expenses; 8th in MBB; 6th in WBB; 6th in others. Of course, the others category is influenced by the number of other sports an athletic department sponsors.

Appstate35

Unread post by Appstate35 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:43 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:23 pm
Is there a huge gap in baseball talent between a SOCON team and an average Sunbelt team? Also, how do typically distribute baseball scholarship money? Do we have guys getting more than others or is it divided up equally?
Yes, sun belt talent is much better than socon talent. Predomintely on the mound. 35 players, 11.7 scholarships. Some players have more money than others but most are on 25%. Only 27 players are on scholarship.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:00 pm

I'm not satisfied, but I'm also not surprised! This is THE hardest schedule we've had in program history. Next year's wont be much easier!

I'm on the record of saying Kermit is an excellent coach and one I would gladly let my son play for.
I'm also on the record pre-season saying 'the best we can hope for this season is .400', (we're currently at .333).

The last I heard, we were not funding all 11.7 scholarships available under NCAA guidelines. If that's still the case, I don't know how we expect to compete in one of the top conferences in the country! (what would the expectations be for football if we had 65 scholarships instead of 85 ?!?).

The new SBC members (JMU, ODU, SMiss, Marshall) are all better programs, with better facilities and budgets than App Baseball's. Kermit isn't the issue. But he and his staff are not recruiting NC well. They've not established in-state pipelines with the high school/travel baseball influencers. As a result they're getting beat out for talent they should be able to secure.

Appstate35

Unread post by Appstate35 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:02 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:05 pm
;) Doug Gillin replied and a high ranking member of our SID's office reached out unsolicited. No, I'm not going to share their responses.

Edit: The "loser's mentality" comment is in reference to not just you 94 but everyone who says factors that have been overcome in other locations can't be overcome in Boone. It is in direct reference to you, 94 who says App State Athletics is not putting resources into baseball and that we don't have what we need to compete when a search of facilities at App State proves money has been spent. You've used "lack of resources" as an umbrella term but only provided one actual number...Kermit's salary relative to other Sun Belt salaries. That IS a valuable piece of the puzzle, but you haven't provided anything else to show that money isn't being spent on App baseball.

I am not going to do the research for you...that's up to you to make your own points but if you can prove that over the last 5-10 years App State is spending significantly less on facilities, recruiting budgets, marketing, etc then you'll ACTUALLY have a point. Until then you're just making blind assertions in a sad attempt to not admit that you're wrong.
You won't find numbers anywhere because they don't exist out in the interwebs but we spend a significant amount less on baseball than all but about 2 conference teams. We are bottom 5 in terms of resources spent on baseball out of D1 teams in NC. Its sad but true.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:03 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm
I found this information here: https://www.sportico.com/business/comme ... 234646029/
It doesn't break down baseball from the other sports category but it does give an overall view of how much we and our conference brethren spend on our teams:

Figures for 2019-2020
FB: App $9.7m ASU 12.4m CCU 12.3m GS 8.9m GSU 8.8m UL 11.9m ULM 3.3m MU 10.1m ODU 12.2m USA 8.7m USM 8.4m TxSt 8.7m
Troy 8.2m
MBB: App $1.9m ASU 2.1m CCU 4m GS 1.6m GSU 2.6m UL 2.5m ULM .5m MU 3m ODU 3.5m USA 1.8m USM 1.8m TxSt 1.8m Troy 2.1m
WBB: App $1.6m ASU 1.5m CCU 3.6m GS 1.2m GSU 1.8m UL 1.7m ULM .3m MU 1.5m ODU 2.5m USA 1.3m USM 1.4m TxSt 1.3m
Troy 1.9m
Others: App $7.4m ASU 6.5m CCU 14.7m GS 6.3m GSU 7.6m UL 8.8m ULM 1m MU 7.5m ODU 11.2m USA 6.5m USM 5.6m TxSt 6m
Troy 6m

We ranked 6th in FB operating expenses; 8th in MBB; 6th in WBB; 6th in others. Of course, the others category is influenced by the number of other sports an athletic department sponsors.
Sleep confidently ODU and Coastal are spending heavily on baseball!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:35 pm

We spend what we spend based upon what the budget allows. #yosefclubneedstoquadruple
#lulkecombsshowusthemoney
😁
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:03 pm
hapapp wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm

Figures for 2019-2020
Troy 8.2m
Troy 1.9m
Troy 6m

Sleep confidently ODU and Coastal are spending heavily on baseball!
You can see how much each spends on their “other” sports.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:58 pm

I can remember sitting on the bank with a fellow named Herb Wey , tall lanky gent wearing a suit , and watching a slug fest or two.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:03 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

With all do respect, just because you don’t agree with my opinion, it doesn’t make me wrong. I’ll work to get you some figures and data to support my thoughts but I doubt it will make much difference to you. The bottom line is that Kermit can coach. He is a proven winner prior to coming to App. Are you suggesting that he forgot how to coach or that he is in over his head? If so, that’s your opinion and I can respect it even though I disagree with it. Coaches don’t forget how to coach.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 am

Honestly I think that our climate and weather needs to be removed as excuses from any of this debate/argument. We didn’t just begin having cold winter/early spring weather. We have had very successful teams on a regional level in the past and the weather was still part of the equation. I’m always interested in the scholarship aspect. Obviously it’s a relatively equal playing field with college baseball programs but don’t many defray the difference with academic scholarships in certain situations? I have a hard time believing that the top programs include up to half of their rosters made up by guys paying the full ride or even 75% with the whole team getting 25%. I have always thought that baseball was a little unique in that some really good high school kids just want to keep playing and will go to smaller programs that still produce good teams. You see schools every year who win big but most have never even heard of them outside of hardcore college baseball fans- Dallas Baptist for example.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:04 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:03 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

With all do respect, just because you don’t agree with my opinion, it doesn’t make me wrong. I’ll work to get you some figures and data to support my thoughts but I doubt it will make much difference to you. The bottom line is that Kermit can coach. He is a proven winner prior to coming to App. Are you suggesting that he forgot how to coach or that he is in over his head? If so, that’s your opinion and I can respect it even though I disagree with it. Coaches don’t forget how to coach.
As with most things you both are correct and the real answer lies somewhere in the middle. Certainly, coaches don’t just suddenly forget how to coach. I’m sure KS has not forgotten! On the other hand, ultimately we play intercollegiate athletics in order to see who wins the game. We are not doing a very good job at that- after 5-6 years. I’m unsure what I think we should do. I personally have been generally disappointed in all three major sports this year but baseball is the only one that “teeters” on coach removal. We all want to win and after a time if we are not, then regime change is necessary.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:34 am

I will post the budget information that I found after while. Suffice it to say, we are 11th out of 12 teams in spending for baseball. Figures came from collegefactual.com

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:18 am

As I have said several times - location and weather absolutely have an effect - if you want to write that off as an excuse that's your choice - I never said it was a hurdle which couldn't be overcome. App has had some good teams over the years but I don't remember any real consistency. At every level there is one given to have good baseball - Pitching, Pitching, Pitching!
You can rest assured that if App is recruiting said pitchers who are also being recruited by other programs, the discussion (whether overt or covert) will definitely involve pitching in cold weather and the "danger" to the arm - It's real, it happens

As per Coach Smith's performance as a coach, I have made no comments - I haven't watched enough to get a feel for what's missing or not working (other than quality pitching which is a given to any program) - I hope he can get things turned around over the second half of the season.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:45 am

According to the budget numbers pulled from collegefactual.com. We are 11th out of 12 teams

Coastal $3,092,119
Louisiana $2,179,248
South Alabama $1,677,821
Texas St. $1,273,244
Ark-LR $1,202,822
Georgia St. $1,153,171
UTA $1,067,585
Monroe $982,878
Southern $953,168
Troy $946,495
App $943,623
Arkansas St $894,045
Avg $1,363,851.

Now I figured that you would point out that schools like Southern and Troy, whose budgets are close to ours can win. So I took a look at the rosters. Now the budget doesn’t breakdown into buckets for recruiting, staff and the like. But 78% of our 32 man roster are NC kids. We have a total of 5 kids from the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida and Georgia. 2 more from S.C. So it begs the question, do we have the budget to cast a broader net or is it the coaches are too lazy to go out and recruit kids here from out of state?

From a recruiting standpoint, let’s look at the football roster. Of the 89 players currently listed, 41.5% are homegrown kids. 27 kids from Florida and Georgia combined with 12 states and the District of Columbia represented.

So given the disparity in representation across the rosters, is the football staff just better at recruiting or does budget, resources, financial aid, play a big part in the end results. Getting a kid from Florida or Georgia up the mountain is a lot easier with a full ride than a partial one to play baseball in a cold climate.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:51 am

Are Georgia kids a free ride to Georgia schools?Somewhere in my memory I recall that .

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:00 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:51 am
Are Georgia kids a free ride to Georgia schools?Somewhere in my memory I recall that .
Georgia, Florida and Louisiana schools can supplement cost not covered by the athletic scholarships through HOPE and Bright Futures. You also have states that offer reciprocity for in state tuition for out of state students.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:00 am
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:51 am
Georgia, Florida and Louisiana schools can supplement cost not covered by the athletic scholarships through HOPE and Bright Futures. You also have states that offer reciprocity for in state tuition for out of state students.
I guess ,then, that as usual North Carolina doesn’t offer anything as good or as beneficial as this!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”