Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

All Spring athletes get extra year

WVAPPeer
School: Other

All Spring athletes get extra year

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:08 pm

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: All Spring athletes get extra year

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 pm

It is the right thing to do.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Conceptual it’s the right thing to do, in reality it’s going to be tough to justify for many D1 programs fiscally.

In another thread we are asking how many programs will cut sports because of this.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:46 pm
Conceptual it’s the right thing to do, in reality it’s going to be tough to justify for many D1 programs fiscally.

In another thread we are asking how many programs will cut sports because of this.
Cutting sports isn’t likely the answer to solvency. The loss of sports will just as likely result in a smaller budgets.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 pm

I think this is an irresponsible decision by the NCAA. The NCAA is substantially cutting funding to schools and yet adding scholarship commitments at the same time. Fiscally impossible for most schools to do.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 am

Cincy App wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 pm
I think this is an irresponsible decision by the NCAA. The NCAA is substantially cutting funding to schools and yet adding scholarship commitments at the same time. Fiscally impossible for most schools to do.
Certainly a tough decision. I don’t disagree with you, and of course it will be compounded by a multiple if fall sports are also cancelled. I also imagine the NCAA would likely be criticized the other way (ie, focused on money and not the athletes “as usual”, etc.) with the opposite decision.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 am
Cincy App wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:21 pm
Certainly a tough decision. I don’t disagree with you, and of course it will be compounded by a multiple if fall sports are also cancelled. I also imagine the NCAA would likely be criticized the other way (ie, focused on money and not the athletes “as usual”, etc.) with the opposite decision.
Exactly. It is a tough decision and you aren’t going to please everyone. Yes, it is an added cost but given the structure of scholarships in the Spring sports, the impact is at least minimal in theory. For App, we only have 8 athletes on full rides. The rest are on partial scholarship at best. Many of those are likely to hang it up when they finish their degree and not take the extra year with the personal incurred costs to play. Now if this extends into the fall, then we have a whole other issue.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 am

I would guess a number of seniors who are graduating might decide to get on with their lives and not come back for another year.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 am
I would guess a number of seniors who are graduating might decide to get on with their lives and not come back for another year.
This would apply to most Seniors. Some will return because they want another year with their teammates, or to improve draft stock (baseball), or because they maybe want to enroll in Grad School, but it definitely won't be the majority.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

Baseball is a rare oddity when it comes to college. Draftability is a relatively loose term when it come to talent. Where you get drafted is affected by how much are you willing to sign for. Seniors really lose some leverage by exhausting their eligibility. Meaning that a team can offer a signing bonus of $X with a take it or leave it. Without the option to return to college, there is very little wiggle room for negotiation and teams will just find someone else that will take what they are offlering. I may be speaking out of turn on this as some of you may be more intimate with the process. I have a friend whose son was a 4 year starter at SS at a D1 school and he described the draft process for his junior and senior year.

Also, there is talk of reducing the number of rounds so the likelihood of getting drafted is going to be reduced which could lead to more guys staying.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 am

Yes, you are close on this but it has been a 2-way street for the top several rounds where the player says I want this or I will go back to school - of course, these are guys who have been in college for 3 years or are 21 years of age - I would think we will see more high school grads taking a pro offer instead of going to college because of what might the uncertainty of college athletics. Keep in mind that MLB wants to drastically cut back on MiLB teams so that could have major ramifications. I also think that seniors (2020) - mid to late round talent - will take offers instead of going back - Again the reason for so many rounds in the baseball draft is to stock up the minor league teams - which could all change ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:42 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am
Exactly. It is a tough decision and you aren’t going to please everyone. Yes, it is an added cost but given the structure of scholarships in the Spring sports, the impact is at least minimal in theory. For App, we only have 8 athletes on full rides. The rest are on partial scholarship at best. Many of those are likely to hang it up when they finish their degree and not take the extra year with the personal incurred costs to play. Now if this extends into the fall, then we have a whole other issue.
I realize that we are in the "Baseball" thread, but I am assuming that the NCAA decision on Spring sports also impacts the following sports at App in addition to Baseball: Men's & Women's Outdoor Track & Field, Men's & Women's Tennis, Men's & Women's Golf, and Softball. Thus, our university will be responsible for a significant number of additional scholarships and related student expenses (not just the 8 noted above). As a result, this cost will be significant at the school level.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 pm

I should clarify. Women’s Tennis is the only “head count sport”. Meaning that each one gets a full ride. Meaning the rest have a set max, 11.5 for baseball to be split among the students. Doubtful that anyone in those sports are getting full rides. So in essence, anyone that finishes school in 4 years, may decline the extra year in order to get on with adulting, since they are only getting a portion covered. The only one where it makes complete and total sense to utilize it would be Tennis, as they get the whole year of grad school paid for. We won’t really know the total impact until this freshman class cycles through and we know how many took advantage of it.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Boy, aren’t you glad we aren’t breaking in a new AD right now?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:47 am

There will be a lot of issues with this, but at least it is fairly applied to all student athletes that lost the opportunity to compete this spring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”