2023 Baseball Mega Thread

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2023 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat May 06, 2023 5:21 pm

My take on a 3rd base coach is that for probably 99% of games he does very little. Waves the runners around on easy plays and high fives the home runs. But he better be damn sure that runner will score. Bad gamble and it might have cost us the game. Oh well win tomorrow

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat May 06, 2023 5:34 pm

Don't disagree it probably wasn't the right decision. But, he made the decision based on details we don't know... At the time, he obviously thought it was the right decision.

Saying it was not smart is one thing. But to suggest our staff doesn't even know the opponents strengths is absurd.

I don't know enough about baseball. And especially about the chin testicle chicken baseball. But, I guarantee Britt took the scouting report into consideration and thought our guy could beat the throw for various reasons. Perhaps that guy has had many wild throws to home? Maybe Coastal has shown they normally cut that ball off?

My whole point is you can second guess every play of every sport. To suggest the coaches are inept and can't even do basic scouting is the reason I made my comment.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:34 pm
Don't disagree it probably wasn't the right decision. But, he made the decision based on details we don't know... At the time, he obviously thought it was the right decision.

Saying it was not smart is one thing. But to suggest our staff doesn't even know the opponents strengths is absurd.

I don't know enough about baseball. And especially about the chin testicle chicken baseball. But, I guarantee Britt took the scouting report into consideration and thought our guy could beat the throw for various reasons. Perhaps that guy has had many wild throws to home? Maybe Coastal has shown they normally cut that ball off?

My whole point is you can second guess every play of every sport. To suggest the coaches are inept and can't even do basic scouting is the reason I made my comment.
You make good points but I have a hard time believing that a coach is cycling through a scouting report in an excitable and fast moving situation. I think he got caught up in the situation and made the decision to go for it. An offline throw and he's safe. Stuff happens. Personally I don't fault coaches for plays that don't work. If he's cost us runs all season that's a different story.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat May 06, 2023 6:00 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm
AppStateNews wrote:

You make good points but I have a hard time believing that a coach is cycling through a scouting report in an excitable and fast moving situation. I think he got caught up in the situation and made the decision to go for it. An offline throw and he's safe. Stuff happens. Personally I don't fault coaches for plays that don't work. If he's cost us runs all season that's a different story.
They know the kid has an arm. But, as underdogs, in a game you probably shouldn’t be in, you take a risk. Kid made a heck of a throw so give props to him. Same situation as going for 2 against UNC. You have a chance to upset a top tier team as an underdog, you go for it, you send a kid home to take the lead, you go for 2 to win it. Kid threw a seed. Play again tomorrow!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Britt has a tendency to send runners rather than hold them. Sometimes as soon as the ball touches the outfield grass he's windmilling the runner home.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat May 06, 2023 6:11 pm

APP loses 6-5. Boastal had walkoff homer bottom 10.
Bring Your A Game!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat May 06, 2023 6:15 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm
AppStateNews wrote:

I know you don't think coaches of any sport reference a scouting report during a play in the game. Notes during dead time, maybe. But never a full scouting report on a specific player during the middle of a play.

As you said, a bad throw and we take the lead in extra innings with a chance to win the series against the #8 team in the country. Does that guy make a lot of bad throws home? I don't know. But, I can guarantee that type of thought was processed.

And as T-Dog said, Britt is an aggressive third base coach. Obviously, Smith likes that as Britt has been around the entire tenure and 6 years at Lander. I highly doubt Britt just said "eh, screw it. I know he's going to be out but I'll send him anyway. I don't really want to win this game or the series." You don't stay on staff if that was his thought process.

Kid made a good play. It happens. Did the decision to send him home make the play seem even better? Yes. Did I think it was a bad decision to wave him home? Yes. Do I think the coach is an absolute moron and never looked at the scouting report? No.

Again, big difference between "man, he should not have sent the guy home" and "the coach has to know the opponents strengths, he has a cannon."

And I honestly wouldn't have said anything if the same thing didn't happen every football and basketball game -- but only when we lose even though the same type of decisions are made every game.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat May 06, 2023 6:46 pm

Even if the runner is held there's no guarantee he scores during the next at bat. Maybe we get a hit or a walk, but we could also strike out, ground out, pop-up, fly out, or foul out.

It's a split second decision and our guys have proven to be aggressive all year. Unfortunately it ended up not working this time.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 06, 2023 6:48 pm

I would guarantee that the coaches watched closely how Coastal or any opponent works in pregame. I used to watch every outfielders throws to each base and they usually indicate if they are using a pigtail cutoff for balls hit in certain parts of the outfield or not. I mean, I haven't been to a live game in some so I'm assuming they still do infield prior to game -

As per the play you guys are discussing - If someone would, please give me the situation - how many outs? how many runners on base? who was coming to bat next?
Last edited by WVAPPeer on Sat May 06, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 06, 2023 6:54 pm

The bad thing about today is that everyone right behind us in the standings won both games so far this weekend, so today we went from 5th to 8th after going from 5th to 5th yesterday.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 pm

In that situation with two outs, third base coaches at college and MLB levels almost always send the runner. It’s not 100 percent but it’s close. I wonder if Aguila got a poor jump? He should have been off at the crack and the play at the plate should have been much closer.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Sat May 06, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat May 06, 2023 7:16 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:21 pm
My take on a 3rd base coach is that for probably 99% of games he does very little. Waves the runners around on easy plays and high fives the home runs. But he better be damn sure that runner will score. Bad gamble and it might have cost us the game. Oh well win tomorrow
You might be surprised what his duties at 3rd base entail.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 06, 2023 7:26 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:13 pm
In that situation with two outs, third base coaches at college and MLB levels almost always send the runner. It’s not 100 percent but it’s close. I have to wonder if Agulia got a poor jump? He should have been off at the crack of the bat and the play at the plate should have been much closer.
You are 100% correct 78. With 2 outs almost every time you send the runner
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat May 06, 2023 7:40 pm

I would have sent him. Our bull pen is not going to keep coastal off the board for long. The game winning home run has not come down yet....it was a bomb!!!!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat May 06, 2023 8:12 pm

Good showing today guys. Still another chance to win the series. Go 1-0 Sunday!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 06, 2023 10:48 pm

Just to clear up any misconceptions, here's the video of the play.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 07, 2023 5:56 am

It's GameDay!! Let's Go 1-0 Today!! Let's Go App. St.!!
#Black&GoldBetterThanTeal
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun May 07, 2023 9:11 am

I agree with the scouting report aspect as it relates to pre-game study. You know before you play who you can typically test and you should not under normal circumstances. I have seen plays just like that when the player got held up at third and you saw the throw get executed perfectly and you knew he was dead if he tried to score. I've also seen the same situation and the throw was wild or off target and you thought, dang he could have scored. It's a gamble.

To tie it back to the two point try against UNC I was there and I don't recall hearing anyone around me saying to kick the XP. We as knowledgeable fans knew the defense was gassed and if we executed the play it was over. Personally I had zero problem with the decision.

If the coach holds the runner there is no guarantee we score. It's easy after the fact to second guess the coach. I have been in that box, albeit in a much lower level of ball. Hero or zero sometimes. I think one of the huge numbers for this team that is killer is left on base. You can't score them all but LOB is always a biggie for App. Go get this one today and it's all good.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun May 07, 2023 10:28 am

Thanks for posting T-Dog because I missed the 10th inning - Yes, as I see this I would have sent him as well. Believe me, I have had runners thrown out at home where I "wish" I had held them but really, just like this one, a quick decision has to be made.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 07, 2023 12:31 pm

2-out rally kids do it again. Tied 1-1.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”