Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dead to the Observer

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Dead to the Observer

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 pm

It's nothing new to be overlooked by the Charlotte Observer, and I'm not whining about that. Truth is, I've gotten my sports from the WSJ online for years. But with all our recent success and historic bowl invitation, I thought they might actually acknowledge it, at least with a reprint from the WSJ.
Well, I've looked all week and have seen absolutely nothing. Of course, the rag is saturated with articles on UNC and the ACC, and I expected that. However, consider the following:
* Immediately after Bowl selection, the Observer posted articles on UNC, Duke, and NC State and their bowl selections. The omission of App State was awkward.
* If you look at today's sports page online, you will see articles on Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Navy, TCU (2), Arkansas, Minnesota and….
* There are 2 articles currently posted on Montana State!
* The clincher- An article was posted today titled, "Five from Arkansas State named to Sun Belt First Team." The article does not even Appalachian State or any of our players!

I've written a pretty strong e-mail to them, with a request not to print it. As I said, I can get my sports elsewhere, but it is just wrong to completely ignore and disrespect a top notch in-state FBS program with such a large alumni and fan base in your city.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... /football/

Gnomeneer

Re: Dead to the Observer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:33 pm

All of the App articles in the Charlotte Disturber have come from the WS-Journal..........consolidation has done away with journalism.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:34 pm

I complained to them as well. Was told they consider themselves a national publication and ACC is of national importance. I can't explain the Sun Belt all conference mention w/o App State.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 pm

My wife and I have been contemplating dropping our subscription to the Charlotte Observer, as the paper continues to shrink. 2016 may well be the year we drop off, after 25 years as subscribers. I'm betting we'll see big changes within the next couple years, as some major dailies have gone to 3 days per week. Won't be surprised to see Charlotte O follow this path.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Screw them. Our wins will speak for themselves when it comes to recruiting. And I don't give a damn about anyone liking App State. I love App Nation, and that's good enough for me.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Scribblers aside... TWCNews.. & Sports Night have been giving some love to our Mountaineers each night so far.... :-)

Secretly... the sports guys fear me... I think... Just saying... probably not...
Twitter: @wxcrum

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Another "when you ain't got nothing to better to bitch about" thread.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:05 pm

So. However bad the CO is, it has nothing on the abysmal Asheville Citizen Times. The ACT is Gannett and doesn't even have a sports editor to complain to about their incompetence. The paper is basically run from Greenville SC now with reprints from the Greenville and Knoxville TN papers. Sports of any kind is mostly non existent. . As much as i love to read a traditional newspaper, the demise of some of these newspapers is only a matter of time.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Believe it or not, I have found the Fayetteville Observer does a decent job following the Apps. Here are a few original articles published throughout the season:

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/colle ... 41df0.html

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/colum ... 7a1fc.html

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/colle ... 9ab0f.html

Charfan
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Charfan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Mad Doctor, UNCC fans feel your pain. We have been dealing with this **** for decades.

Appbio91. The observer is run by a bunch of clowns. The fact you were told they consider themselves a national publication reflects that. Instead of doubling down on regional and local coverage and carving a real niche for themselves they focus on being a "national paper" when the rest of the nation could give two ****s about them. Yeah your a national paper. Maybe if the LA, NY, CHI, Houston, Philly, DC papers...... Ok I could list 40 papers more important.

They don't even have the guts to go after UNC Cheat when they have been ripping off sports fans and the tax payers for decades.

The observer is a joke and their sports coverage is the awful punchline.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:22 am

A "national publication" with an article on South Point High School in Belmont having a good season?
The Charlotte Observer Sports can continue to ignore us all they want. We are the second highest ranked FBS football team in the state and they are just going to have to deal with it. We certainly don't need their approval or validation. It just makes me scratch my head and wonder why?
Enough about them, on to Montgomery and our first bowl championship!

GO APP!

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 am

Charfan wrote:Mad Doctor, UNCC fans feel your pain. We have been dealing with this **** for decades.

Appbio91. The observer is run by a bunch of clowns. The fact you were told they consider themselves a national publication reflects that. Instead of doubling down on regional and local coverage and carving a real niche for themselves they focus on being a "national paper" when the rest of the nation could give two ****s about them. Yeah your a national paper. Maybe if the LA, NY, CHI, Houston, Philly, DC papers...... Ok I could list 40 papers more important.

They don't even have the guts to go after UNC Cheat when they have been ripping off sports fans and the tax payers for decades.

The observer is a joke and their sports coverage is the awful punchline.
USA TOCHARLOTTE

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 am

Wonder how much it will cost to put a congratulation ad in this rag after we win the bowl game. I'll find out. Wouldn't it be a riot to have our board put a 1/2 page ad in the sports section when there will be no article about the game?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 am

Rekdiver wrote:Wonder how much it will cost to put a congratulation ad in this rag after we win the bowl game. I'll find out. Wouldn't it be a riot to have our board put a 1/2 page ad in the sports section when there will be no article about the game?
That would be hilarious! I'd gladly contribute.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:52 am

From time to time The Washington Post (a national publication by the way) mentions App. After the Old Dominion game they had a nice write up on how we kicked ODs butt, I bet nothing was mentioned in the Distruber (a "wanna-be" national publication).

Old Wideout

Unread post by Old Wideout » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:01 am

The Local paper, The Watauga Democrat does a heck of a job.I would say the best of anyone. I am not unbiased.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/asu_sports/

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:52 am

love the double negative, old wideout ;-)

WVAppsfan

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:15 am

I get my APP fix from the Black and Gold Podcast, the WSJ, and of course the forum here. Keep fighting, and follow the motto " Today I give My ALL"
"Always give your all"

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 am

I live in Fayetteville and it is nice to see articles on a routine basis about App. Our games are even broadcast on one of the local AM stations. That is really nice when I have to run errands during portions of a game and don't have to miss anything. I have never understood the disturber's lack of App coverage- I even pointed this out in a thread earlier in this season. It was sometime around the Stink game.

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 am

Rekdiver wrote:Wonder how much it will cost to put a congratulation ad in this rag after we win the bowl game. I'll find out. Wouldn't it be a riot to have our board put a 1/2 page ad in the sports section when there will be no article about the game?
I would happily kick in on that. We could probably buy a full page ad if everyone on the site kicked in $5. Might get some attention from them too.....after all, money talks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”