Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cut back on the "time out" stadium on field commercials.

WXAPP
School: Appalachian State

Cut back on the "time out" stadium on field commercials.

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:28 am

I don't know about anyone else, but the timeout activity on the field was getting on my nerves a bit. I felt like I was trapped in a TV commercial and there was no mute button; So & so sponsors the oldest fan, etc... It struck me as redirecting the 13th Man enthusiasm and losing the crowds attention to get up and take part. Felt overloaded.

Getting recognized for academic stuff, and money being presented to the university is all good, but some of this other stuff was just too much.

Talked to a friend of mine who covers Clemson, and they have it even worse than we do. Seems to be a trend in collegiate football. I just find it cuts into the fan experience (at least mine) and concentration in the game. Maybe I need ADHD meds or something.. or perhaps I've now crossed into "annoyed at everything" old coot status.

Sound systems was improved...

Dance team and cheer squad were having a tough day too....

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Last edited by WXAPP on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter: @wxcrum

Yosef10

Re: Cut back on the "time out" stadium on field commercials.

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 am

Pays the bills.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:42 am

WXAPP wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but the timeout activity on the field was getting on my nerves a bit. I felt like I was trapped in a TV commercial and there was no mute button; So & so sponsors the oldest fan, etc... It struck me as redirecting the 13th Man enthusiasm and losing the crowds attention to get up and take part. Felt overloaded.

Getting recognized for academic stuff, and money being presented to the university is all good, but some of this other stuff was just too much.

Talked to a friend of mine who covers Clemson, and they have it even worse than we do. Seems to be a trend in collegiate football. I just find it cuts into the fan experience (at least mine) and concentration in the game. Maybe I need ADHD meds or something.. or perhaps I've now crossed into "annoyed at everything" old coot status.

Said the same thing on Saturday, but I was in a crappy mood because of no sleep the night before so everything was getting on my nerves. :>}

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am

I was annoyed by people in the stands wearing AppState gear that:

1- Never cheered
2- Never stood up
3- Left early
4- Took selfies of them selves all night (these were Mid 50 to 60 year old women. It was excruciating)

No need to expand the stadium. All wee need are more club and luxury boxes and a larger and dryer overflow hill....

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 am

WXAPP wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but the timeout activity on the field was getting on my nerves a bit. I felt like I was trapped in a TV commercial and there was no mute button; So & so sponsors the oldest fan, etc... It struck me as redirecting the 13th Man enthusiasm and losing the crowds attention to get up and take part. Felt overloaded.

Amen, it's ridiculous .

dubs21

Unread post by dubs21 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:29 am

Go to an ACC game. App game are nothing compared to those, with regard to the advertisements and "commercials" through out the game. ACC team fans think we have great timeout environment with the music and band playing and not commercials every second.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 am

$

dman4x

Unread post by dman4x » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

That is an FBS reality

appbio91

Re: RE: Re: Cut back on the "time out" stadium on field commercials.

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:I was annoyed by people in the stands wearing AppState gear that:

1- Never cheered
2- Never stood up
3- Left early
4- Took selfies of them selves all night (these were Mid 50 to 60 year old women. It was excruciating)

No need to expand the stadium. All wee need are more club and luxury boxes and a larger and dryer overflow hill....
People were streaming out of a tie game early in 3rd. Does not effect how I enjoy the game, but damn come on people. The people around me never stood up or got loud but stayed entire game and did not tell me to shut up so no problem with them. I respected their right to sit down in the seat they paid for and not have to look at my ass and back. They tolerated me standing up and cheering for big plays and getting loud when fitting. That is how it should work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:43 pm

I agree but if it does bring in more money for the program, I guess I can deal with it. The sound system was better and I haven't seen this mentioned, but I thought the PA announcer was better too. Not flashy and kind of old school, but he was accurate at least and seemed more on top of things.

bigdaddyg

Re: RE: Re: Cut back on the

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:57 pm

appbio91 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:I was annoyed by people in the stands wearing AppState gear that:

1- Never cheered
2- Never stood up
3- Left early

People were streaming out of a tie game early in 3rd. Does not effect how I enjoy the game, but damn come on people. The people around me never stood up or got loud but stayed entire game and did not tell me to shut up so no problem with them. I respected their right to sit down in the seat they paid for and not have to look at my ass and back. They tolerated me standing up and cheering for big plays and getting loud when fitting. That is how it should work.

So I was not seeing things on my computer? I swore to myself that the hill was full and then by the third quarter it was empty. Maybe the rain that started falling had something to do with it? Did see a lot of aluminum show up way too early. I can MAYBE see a blowout during a sleet or freezing rain event but wow! Why in the hell would anyone make the trek to Boone, spend all that money and leave in the third quarter of a tight ball game? Please help me understand, I am completely baffled!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:03 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:Why in the hell would anyone make the trek to Boone, spend all that money and leave in the third quarter of a tight ball game? Please help me understand, I am completely baffled!
Gotta beat the crowd to Makatos. :evil:

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Sometimes it just seems for many to be some big social event that a football game just interrupts. So different than what I grew up on going to Conrad. We did the socializing in our seats well before the game and after at Coach Brakefield's house. Times have changed a LOT.

appbio91

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cut back on the

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:45 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:Why in the hell would anyone make the trek to Boone, spend all that money and leave in the third quarter of a tight ball game? Please help me understand, I am completely baffled!
Gotta beat the crowd to Makatos. :evil:
Or Woodlands. BTW there were very few early departures from the GaSo game. I sit up high on the East side so I get a good view of both exits. Trying not to be judgemental but in this case it is hard. For family day and homecoming I guess it's just a more casual crowd. Glad they paid for the tickets and at least showed for half the game.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 pm

It was also family weekend, may have had a lot of parents who are invested in tuition, but not loyalty to App. Probably cared more about getting to DBI than the outcome of the game. Family weekend tends to have a more fickle crowd.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

jclement48

Unread post by jclement48 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 pm

I hope my son and I get a pass for leaving at the end of the 3rd quarter. His wife just had their first baby three weeks ago. We thought we may bring the baby but his wife would not allow that to happen, so it was his turn to go home and change the diaper. We will be back Thursday and spend the night so we can stay to the final whistle. We were STANDING in our seats last Thursday for the entire game with GASO.

See you in section 213 Thursday!
ASTCMountaineer

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:50 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
appbio91 wrote:

1- Never cheered
2- Never stood up
3- Left early

So I was not seeing things on my computer? I swore to myself that the hill was full and then by the third quarter it was empty. Maybe the rain that started falling had something to do with it? Did see a lot of aluminum show up way too early. I can MAYBE see a blowout during a sleet or freezing rain event but wow! Why in the hell would anyone make the trek to Boone, spend all that money and leave in the third quarter of a tight ball game? Please help me understand, I am completely baffled!
The East 216 was more crowded than the GaSo game, but across the way on West there was a bunch of aluminum showing in the Yosef and season ticket seats; really bizaar.

appbio91

Re: RE: Re: Cut back on the "time out" stadium on field commercials.

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:01 pm

jclement48 wrote:I hope my son and I get a pass for leaving at the end of the 3rd quarter. His wife just had their first baby three weeks ago. We thought we may bring the baby but his wife would not allow that to happen, so it was his turn to go home and change the diaper. We will be back Thursday and spend the night so we can stay to the final whistle. We were STANDING in our seats last Thursday for the entire game with GASO.

See you in section 213 Thursday!
I guess that is the danger in calling out people for leaving; there are reasons other than apathy in some cases. Cograts and tell your son to enjoy because it goes by too fast.

jclement48

Unread post by jclement48 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

He's already preparing for the UT game next year!
ASTCMountaineer

jclement48

Unread post by jclement48 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Both of my son's attended UNCC but hasn't missed an APP game and have NO desire to attend a 49'ner game. He's already preparing the baby for the UT game next year!
ASTCMountaineer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”