Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New recruit

97APP
School: Appalachian State

Re: New recruit

Unread post by 97APP » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:07 am

At least a WR coming in this late to fall camp doesn't need to know the whole playbook to see the field. He can learn a one position within certain packages first and work from there. Agree with the OP that he'll need to work through the depth chart, but on paper this is a terrific pickup. Putting that kind of speed on our turf, our video board operater better get used to showing super slow-motion replays just so we can see what happened.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 am

WV, The Pig a little sadder since the Duck flew in to town. :lol:
BLACK SATURDAY

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

Can't have too much speed and Satterfield will have some plays set up for him in the early going and will have him fully integrated into the offense if the kid is willing to work and has the right attitude. This might get pretty fun to watch by mid-year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

G2ASU

Unread post by G2ASU » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 pm

He should return kicks @ ecu game. No play book needed for that.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 pm

The Watauga Democrat offers an interesting piece on Tacoi Sumler and gives details on how he settled on Boone/ASU.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/Sports/ ... -id-008717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:14 am

If the kid works out, atleast on paper, we have a complete wr corp. size, speed, athletic ability. Might take a while, but once they learn the offense, they are going to be really tough to defend.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 pm

I found it interesting that we went after him in 2010 as a junior but then he busted out as a senior to the point of having, according to Rivals, 26 FBS offers, mostly BCS offers. But it appears from some of the articles I've read that he didn't forget that we were one of the first to find him. Again, congrats to the coaching staff and welcome to The Rock young man.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm

firemoose wrote:I found it interesting that we went after him in 2010 as a junior but then he busted out as a senior to the point of having, according to Rivals, 26 FBS offers, mostly BCS offers. But it appears from some of the articles I've read that he didn't forget that we were one of the first to find him. Again, congrats to the coaching staff and welcome to The Rock young man.
Firemoose: I have a feeling the author of the story misinterpreted Satterfield's comments. I believe Satterfield was saying that Sumler was being recruited by Florida International. That would square with Satterfield's time in Miami. That also squares with David Jackson's comments on "Around the Mountain" today.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:56 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:Firemoose: I have a feeling the author of the story misinterpreted Satterfield's comments. I believe Satterfield was saying that Sumler was being recruited by Florida International. That would square with Satterfield's time in Miami. That also squares with David Jackson's comments on "Around the Mountain" today.
I wondered about that myself. I know SS was already gone then so I took it that way but I heard someone else say it was us. I didn't get to listen to Around the Mountain today or I wouldn't have posted it. I should have said that he didn't forget that SS recruited him. Still a great catch (pun intended) for the Apps.

Edit: Don't know what happened with the quote. It's worked for me before, just not this time... :roll:
Last edited by Yosef on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Whoever did it looks like it could pay off for having rapport with some of these 4-5 stars players. If things don't exactly go like their dreams, APP could benefit as a back up.
BLACK SATURDAY

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Black Saturday wrote:Whoever did it looks like it could pay off for having rapport with some of these 4-5 stars players. If things don't exactly go like their dreams, APP could benefit as a back up.
Completely agree. I also think we will see better recruiting results with our new approach to offering players. I like the fact that we've already offered players before the season even starts. Reach high and it might pay off later, even if they don't pick us first then we are at least in their minds once they see where they stand at the school they did pick. Plus we might just swing an early commit or two that we could have been missing out on for quite a few years.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:31 pm

One more little tidbit of info. I went back and looked at his ESPN recruiting profile from 2011. He was ranked 62 on the ESPN 150. #62 out of ESPN's top 150 players in the nation ain't too shabby of a pickup for us. Can't wait to see what he can do once he learns SS's offense. Like BS said, just get him the ball. If he's that good he'll do the rest on his own.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Ann Arbor wrote:He should return kicks @ ecu game. No play book needed for that.

And not much of a playbook needed to come in a run a few fly/post/bomb routes. He will clearly be more effective and valuable when he's comfortable with the overall offense, but you gotta put a guy like that out there for a few plays early on and let him just outrun some folks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”