Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

G5 Poll

AppWyo
School: Appalachian State

Re: G5 Poll

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun May 12, 2024 5:32 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm
704App wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 pm
If you don't think Kelly and Saban were paying players well before NIL, you are living under a rock...

There won't be proof because it's all swept under the rug because there's too much money to be made if it's not...
Exactly. The only way to see proof is be very close with coaches or players who admit the truth. Recruits got paid in cash so it could not be traced. I think AppSt94 is just being sarcastic here because we all know that nobody was going to be dumb enough to give a player a check or make deposits into the kid or family's bank account directly.
The biggest people hurt by the NIL are the Bag Men. https://blog.sbnation.com/2014/4/16/562 ... he-bag-man

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:39 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 5:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm
704App wrote:
If you don't think Kelly and Saban were paying players well before NIL, you are living under a rock...

There won't be proof because it's all swept under the rug because there's too much money to be made if it's not...
Exactly. The only way to see proof is be very close with coaches or players who admit the truth. Recruits got paid in cash so it could not be traced. I think AppSt94 is just being sarcastic here because we all know that nobody was going to be dumb enough to give a player a check or make deposits into the kid or family's bank account directly.
The biggest people hurt by the NIL are the Bag Men. https://blog.sbnation.com/2014/4/16/562 ... he-bag-man
Good read! The tidbit about helping put a mother through rehab shows that players often do what they do for their family instead of themselves. I mentioned one I knew who the school got the mother a job and actually got her a car as well. I know there are cases where players send a lot of their food money or monthly stipend back to their single mother or other family members they are trying to help.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 pm

704App wrote:

People have two choices. They can either seek the truth or develop a conspiracy theory based on assumption and what they want to believe.

Never said that it didn’t happen. Never said that it isn’t possible. The poster blatantly accused Kelly of paying players. All I asked was for proof. I’ve never seen an accusation of him acting inappropriately so I’m interested in the salacious info that only he is privy.

Possible isn’t the same as definite. People need to remember that.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 pm
704App wrote:

People have two choices. They can either seek the truth or develop a conspiracy theory based on assumption and what they want to believe.

Never said that it didn’t happen. Never said that it isn’t possible. The poster blatantly accused Kelly of paying players. All I asked was for proof. I’ve never seen an accusation of him acting inappropriately so I’m interested in the salacious info that only he is privy.

Sure. But, it's not a conspiracy theory when there's seemingly only one person in the entire world who doesn't think it happened..

Kelly 100% paid players. So did Saban. So did Carroll. So did Jimbo. So did Calipari. So did Billy Donovan. So did... the list goes on...

Saban is on record of saying something along the lines of "well they all get paid in the NFL so its harder" when he left the Dolphins to go to Bama. They ALL DID. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Satt/Drink did it to an extent (obviously a MUCH smaller extent).

The only conspiracy theory here is that you think there's a conspiracy theory. You won't ever find proof because if there was proof, they would no longer be employed. Neither would their ADs. So it was all swept under the rug..

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 pm

704App wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:

Sure. But, it's not a conspiracy theory when there's seemingly only one person in the entire world who doesn't think it happened..

Kelly 100% paid players. So did Saban. So did Carroll. So did Jimbo. So did Calipari. So did Billy Donovan. So did... the list goes on...

Saban is on record of saying something along the lines of "well they all get paid in the NFL so its harder" when he left the Dolphins to go to Bama. They ALL DID. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Satt/Drink did it to an extent (obviously a MUCH smaller extent).

The only conspiracy theory here is that you think there's a conspiracy theory. You won't ever find proof because if there was proof, they would no longer be employed. Neither would their ADs. So it was all swept under the rug..
Believe what you want. Like I said. Can you prove that Kelly paid players? No. It’s easy for you to say that there is no proof because it’s swept under the rug because that absolves you of actually answering the question. Have a good evening.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 am

I thought he was being sarcastic, too bad, weird hill to die on.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 pm
704App wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:

Believe what you want. Like I said. Can you prove that Kelly paid players? No. It’s easy for you to say that there is no proof because it’s swept under the rug because that absolves you of actually answering the question. Have a good evening.
I think he probably believes Kelly has because it is the culture among power schools. Not all of them did it but a lot of them certainly did. I can say I have not heard stories or seen anything that would lead me to specifically accuse Brian Kelly of doing it.

This whole pay to play thing going on now always has happened and the reason some of these power coaches are complaining is because there were schools who did not break rules and now everyone can pay them. It is running up the price for players because there are way more bids now than there use to be. It is also taking away their advantage of being in the group who does it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:17 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 am
I thought he was being sarcastic, too bad, weird hill to die on.
Agreed. One hill I am not willing to die on is if someone believes a coach paid off players without some type of evidence that they indeed did it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:31 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:

I think he probably believes Kelly has because it is the culture among power schools. Not all of them did it but a lot of them certainly did. I can say I have not heard stories or seen anything that would lead me to specifically accuse Brian Kelly of doing it.

This whole pay to play thing going on now always has happened and the reason some of these power coaches are complaining is because there were schools who did not break rules and now everyone can pay them. It is running up the price for players because there are way more bids now than there use to be. It is also taking away their advantage of being in the group who does it.
My point exactly. Applying guilty by association without proof is just lazy thinking. I never said that it hasn’t happened. I never implied that I wasn’t prepared to believe it. Just show me the proof that Kelly himself has done it? He couldn’t so he went the time old argument that he must because everyone does it, or at least he thinks they are.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon May 13, 2024 11:37 am

I think some posts are what people would like to happen or to have happened.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:

NIL may be the thing that levels the playing field between the haves and have nots as an unintended consequence. The haves may not be as able to buy the players off when they realize they cannot control the players as before, because everyone knows what their benefits are. Some call it blackmail, some call it extortion, some call it bribing, you cannot not do that in an open above board system. If anything it will spread the more expensive players out across many teams. Also, it may cause some players to not play their best, because of their money concerns. The present system does not cost the universities anything, except some booster's donation to the program.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 am

The last point above is a real concern for Gillin and the AD Department. While these collectives are necessary to compete, will this hurt the donations to the Department that are needed to fund programs.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:31 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

My point exactly. Applying guilty by association without proof is just lazy thinking. I never said that it hasn’t happened. I never implied that I wasn’t prepared to believe it. Just show me the proof that Kelly himself has done it? He couldn’t so he went the time old argument that he must because everyone does it, or at least he thinks they are.
That is true. So many did it that I am not surprised by any doing it. It is like 90s MLB being called the steroid era. I think many people just assume all of them who finished high up in the home run numbers were doing it when some of them did not do it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:46 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:31 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
704App wrote:

That is true. So many did it that I am not surprised by any doing it. It is like 90s MLB being called the steroid era. I think many people just assume all of them who finished high up in the home run numbers were doing it when some of them did not do it.
The MLB is a fair comparison.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Mon May 13, 2024 12:40 pm

Kelly put Notre Dame on probation for illegally contacting players. If you think that is the extent he, and any other P4 coach with a shot at the natty, go to win, cool, you're allowed to believe that.

But don't get all defensive asking for proof knowing full well there won't be proof. That's like asking for proof I took a shit this morning.. I mean, I did it, but it's long gone and can't be found.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm

704App wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:40 pm
Kelly put Notre Dame on probation for illegally contacting players. If you think that is the extent he, and any other P4 coach with a shot at the natty, go to win, cool, you're allowed to believe that.

But don't get all defensive asking for proof knowing full well there won't be proof. That's like asking for proof I took a shit this morning.. I mean, I did it, but it's long gone and can't be found.
Here is an article to what you are talking about: https://sports.yahoo.com/notre-dame-vio ... 35374.html

I can see both sides here. Illegal contact does not equal paying off players though. Some think if you are willing to break one rule then you break others but this is minor. Like I said before, I am not going to die on the hill either way but nothing would surprise me.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 pm

“The NCAA found that Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly also had impermissible off-campus contact with a prospect in October 2019 when the player recognized the Irish head coach walking through a high school cafeteria in Pickerington, Ohio, and asked him to take a photo. The NCAA said Kelly initially declined before ultimately allowing the photo.”

What a scumbag that Kelly is.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon May 13, 2024 2:47 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm
704App wrote:

Here is an article to what you are talking about: https://sports.yahoo.com/notre-dame-vio ... 35374.html

I can see both sides here. Illegal contact does not equal paying off players but if you are willing to break one rule I can see breaking others. It does not guarantee it though so I can see why AppSt94 feels you need some type of proof and why you feel like he likely is because he did this. I personally have never heard anything on him beyond the illegal contact case. Like I said before, I am not going to die on the hill either way but nothing would surprise me.
Football season cannot get here soon enough...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm
704App wrote:

I can see both sides here. Illegal contact does not equal paying off players though. Some think if you are willing to break one rule then you break others but this is minor. Like I said before, I am not going to die on the hill either way but nothing would surprise me.
Football season cannot get here soon enough...
Agreed. When someone else brought up the illegal contact I searched and thought that was very minor. Football season will get here quicker than it seems right now. The summer always flies by.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 pm
“The NCAA found that Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly also had impermissible off-campus contact with a prospect in October 2019 when the player recognized the Irish head coach walking through a high school cafeteria in Pickerington, Ohio, and asked him to take a photo. The NCAA said Kelly initially declined before ultimately allowing the photo.”

What a scumbag that Kelly is.
True. There is a lot worse a coach can do. There are so many rules regarding contact with recruits that it can be very hard not to break one unless you know the rule book completely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”