Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

G5 Poll

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: G5 Poll

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:32 pm
Why don''t we just throw NIL on taxpayers? Then everyone will have paid players. Sort of like student loan forgiveness. What's a few more billion among friends.
We are 34 trillion in debt so there is no money to give, which is why I don't get why we even pay taxes since they are just printing it now. They could just print 250k and give it to every single player. LOL

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 08, 2024 8:45 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:04 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 am
Pikapp79 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am
G5 will become feeder program for P5 in the NIL era.
I don’t think coaches look at that way. They want players that want to play. They aren’t interested in guys looking for cash. Here is an article on Brian Kelly’s approach on transfers.

https://blondiewithlove.it/2024/05/08/b ... u40uI.html

“We were in the recruiting market in the transfer portal, looking for defensive linemen. Honestly, it didn’t go very well. Because we sell something a little differently: we want to recruit, we want to engage, build relationships, develop, retain and succeed. We are not in the market for buying players. And unfortunately, right now, that’s what some guys are looking for. They want to be bought,” Kelly said.
This is why Saban retired when he did. While the coaches may not want to get players that are interested in the money, it appears that most players have become interested in the money. The market has changed the kids to a point that the main questions being asked (according to Saban) are 1- how much will I play and 2- how much will you pay me. The best of the best (SEC, BIG10 and other P4) expect to get paid in a big way and soon I imagine that everyone will expect to get paid.
If all players at every level suddenly expect to get paid or else they just don't play then I think a lot of schools will have to drop football. We don't have the money, and won't anytime soon, to just pay every starter 100-150k and all the backups 25-50k. There are not even 60-70 schools who can truly afford to do all that either.
I believe you will always have players that want to play. If that were not the case, schools would not have club sports teams. I think some will get caught up in the money, but the majority will not.

I see a future when teams are paid a bunch of money and it all falls apart in the locker room, because of someone not getting their share of what they believe they need to be paid and someone missing a block that causes a season if not career ending injury.

Besides, all the money in the world does not guarantee a winning season...
Texas A&M is proof of the comment I bolded.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Why don''t we just throw NIL on taxpayers? Then everyone will have paid players. Sort of like student loan forgiveness. What's a few more billion among friends.
We are 34 trillion in debt so there is no money to give, which is why I don't get why we even pay taxes since they are just printing it now. They could just print 250k and give it to every single player. LOL
I was being facetious in my gesture. If you didn't have a school loan, congratulations you do now.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:48 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I was being facetious in my gesture. If you didn't have a school loan, congratulations you do now.
I thought you were and that is why I said LOL at the end. I was expanding on your joke. The sad thing is we probably have people who seriously think that would be an answer.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu May 09, 2024 12:36 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:48 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I thought you were and that is why I said LOL at the end. I was expanding on your joke. The sad thing is we probably have people who seriously think that would be an answer.
For danged sure we have :roll:

I see us folks from the 80's agree.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 09, 2024 12:49 pm

I worked my way through school. Took awhile. Wasn’t easy. Sacrificed some things , but nothing of real value. I learned more doing it that way I think. More about myself, others and reality.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:
I don’t think coaches look at that way. They want players that want to play. They aren’t interested in guys looking for cash. Here is an article on Brian Kelly’s approach on transfers.

“We were in the recruiting market in the transfer portal, looking for defensive linemen. Honestly, it didn’t go very well. Because we sell something a little differently: we want to recruit, we want to engage, build relationships, develop, retain and succeed. We are not in the market for buying players. And unfortunately, right now, that’s what some guys are looking for. They want to be bought,” Kelly said.
It will never happen but if every school would just say no to the money then players would stop asking. As long as there are schools like Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc willing to just buy players then it won't stop.
I feel like there are some misnomers, or assumptions that schools are “buying” players. Sure some schools have donor bases with deeper pockets than others. However, the donors and the coaches are not in lock step on how NIL is used. As seen on this board, donors and fans are motivated by their beliefs of what needs to happen to win NOW. Examples, include play this guy, call this play, don’t call that one. So these donors with big bank accounts and even bigger egos will write checks. Coaches such as Saban and Kelly want and need players that want to work towards team goals, first. The coaches have to field questions and requests for NIL, but they don’t negotiate deals. That is what the collectives are for and a coach that is interested in winning isn’t going to compromise their locker room for a shiny new bauble.
If coaches aren’t negotiating the deals, I don’t know how they don’t at least have a seat at the table. How would that even work? Undoubtedly collectives and outside “stakeholders” want to be involved much more than they should, but the coaching staff runs point on recruiting and ultimately there must be a way to synch up between the targeted recruits and team needs and what the recruit wants and what is available to give them. And also, seems like on the basketball side there has been a whole lot of orchestrating of hooking up players with cash by the head coach.

I guess your point is the coaches and collectives may be at odds with the “needs” of the program, which frustrates coaches. Nevertheless, it’s all about paying for play.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 am

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:02 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

It will never happen but if every school would just say no to the money then players would stop asking. As long as there are schools like Texas, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc willing to just buy players then it won't stop.
I feel like there are some misnomers, or assumptions that schools are “buying” players. Sure some schools have donor bases with deeper pockets than others. However, the donors and the coaches are not in lock step on how NIL is used. As seen on this board, donors and fans are motivated by their beliefs of what needs to happen to win NOW. Examples, include play this guy, call this play, don’t call that one. So these donors with big bank accounts and even bigger egos will write checks. Coaches such as Saban and Kelly want and need players that want to work towards team goals, first. The coaches have to field questions and requests for NIL, but they don’t negotiate deals. That is what the collectives are for and a coach that is interested in winning isn’t going to compromise their locker room for a shiny new bauble.
If coaches aren’t negotiating the deals, I don’t know how they don’t at least have a seat at the table. How would that even work? Undoubtedly collectives and outside “stakeholders” want to be involved much more than they should, but the coaching staff runs point on recruiting and ultimately there must be a way to synch up between the targeted recruits and team needs and what the recruit wants and what is available to give them. And also, seems like on the basketball side there has been a whole lot of orchestrating of hooking up players with cash by the head coach.

I guess your point is the coaches and collectives may be at odds with the “needs” of the program, which frustrates coaches. Nevertheless, it’s all about paying for play.
The Coach is at the table, but he/she is not part of the negotiation. They take the request to the collective and the collective in turn tells the coach what is available, who in turn tells the recruit. That’s pretty much the extent of their involvement as I know it.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:59 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

This is why Saban retired when he did. While the coaches may not want to get players that are interested in the money, it appears that most players have become interested in the money. The market has changed the kids to a point that the main questions being asked (according to Saban) are 1- how much will I play and 2- how much will you pay me. The best of the best (SEC, BIG10 and other P4) expect to get paid in a big way and soon I imagine that everyone will expect to get paid.
If you don’t believe Saban and Kelly were buying players well before NIL not sure what to say. Problem now is everyone is doing it and competition ramped up.

Pikapp79

Unread post by Pikapp79 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

So Brian Kelly hasn’t paid players prior to NIL? Come on now…

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

Do you know that he has or are just too cynical to think otherwise? If he has, prove it.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:34 am

I believe the proof of big time programs paying players pre-NIL is in the file located beside every Covid 19 tin foil hat Covid theory from 2020 that came true. Have you checked there, lol.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

Do you know that he has or are just too cynical to think otherwise? If he has, prove it.
I don’t know about Brian Kelly but I know a former coach who told me when he was in the SEC in the 90s who said they had meetings where they agreed what cheating they would look the other way for and what stuff they would turn others in for. He told me he was 100% serious so I tend to believe all of them but Vanderbilt were doing it well before NIL. I do know for a fact of a few certain players from NC or SC that received cars, cash, jobs for their parents, etc just to sign with SC, UNC, Clemson, Georgia, etc. I didn’t take pictures so I can’t show you the proof but I can tell you I saw it with my own eyes and players would even admit to it.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 12, 2024 11:18 am

I saw G5 poll and read Nil stuff.

I done recognize the validity of a G5 poll.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:

I don’t know about Brian Kelly but I know a former coach who told me when he was in the SEC in the 90s who said they had meetings where they agreed what cheating they would look the other way for and what stuff they would turn others in for. He told me he was 100% serious so I tend to believe all of them but Vanderbilt were doing it well before NIL. I do know for a fact of a few certain players from NC or SC that received cars, cash, jobs for their parents, etc just to sign with SC, UNC, Clemson, Georgia, etc. I didn’t take pictures so I can’t show you the proof but I can tell you I saw it with my own eyes and players would even admit to it.
You and anyone else are free to accept what ever you want to. Heresay isn’t proof and we still live in a country where we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:32 pm

There is no proof of most programs paying players. It must be a very few that have ever done it. I appreciate their purity and commitment to doing things the right way. Yeah humanity!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun May 12, 2024 4:14 pm

Honestly, now that the NIL has had time to sink in, do we not see the monumental waste of money with the excesses? I can’t help but believe there isn’t conversation about putting some constraints around it and the portal.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 pm

If you don't think Kelly and Saban were paying players well before NIL, you are living under a rock...

There won't be proof because it's all swept under the rug because there's too much money to be made if it's not...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:58 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Pikapp79 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

You and anyone else are free to accept what ever you want to. Heresay isn’t proof and we still live in a country where we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.
I am not going off hearsay. I am going off things I have seen with my own eyes. I personally think you go down this route here just being sarcastic but if you aren't and truly think the best in everyone I am guessing you did not go to high school or college with players who benefited from this stuff or were not close enough with any to see the proof.

I told you in previous post that I have seen gifts that players were given. I know instances where the player told me the school they got it from. Here are a few instances I remember off the top of my head.

I won't say which player but I have friends who were close with a former #1 overall pick from the SEC and they would talk about how crazy it was in high school that this dude was walking around with pockets full of cash and did not have a job. He came from a poor background where his father was in jail for much of his childhood. Giving high school players cash to straight up sign with a school is illegal and he admitted to getting paid to friends.

Back in the 2000s I know a player who went to Tennessee and he would get 500 bucks monthly from the school beyond his scholarship. That was illegal at that time.

A wild story I was told by someone who coached as well was that there was a school who would use casinos to funnel cash to players. I don't remember all the exact details but the coaches or boosters would have a friend who ran a casino and what would happen is they would go swap cash in for chips and then somehow they had the chips delivered to the player by someone or would leave them in the player's name and the player would go pick up the chips and then cash them in.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun May 12, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

704App wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 pm
If you don't think Kelly and Saban were paying players well before NIL, you are living under a rock...

There won't be proof because it's all swept under the rug because there's too much money to be made if it's not...
Exactly. The only way to see proof is be very close with coaches or players who admit the truth. Recruits got paid in cash so it could not be traced. I think AppSt94 is just being sarcastic here because we all know that nobody was going to be dumb enough to give a player a check or make deposits into the kid or family's bank account directly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”