Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NC lawmakers to force UNC, NC State to play in-state schools

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: NC lawmakers to force UNC, NC State to play in-state schools

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri May 03, 2024 9:33 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:29 am
Just make sure we don't turn into hypocrites when the state mandates we play at Western Carolina Home and Away.
Everything but football, fine, as football is officially played on a different level.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 03, 2024 10:03 am

AppinVA wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:01 pm
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:34 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:28 pm
Awesome, everyone should call your reps and make this happen. This would make football in NC the best fan experience in the nation. Those guys must read Yosef’s Cabin. I suggested this in a thread a couple of weeks ago.
Please suggest lower taxes next.
or funding things at a reasonable level. parks had a huge backlog of repairs. other infrastructure has needs. list is longer than i have time to type.
And railroads.
NC Amtrak had the most riders for a month ever in March 2024. And for the year 2024 is on record to break the 2023 record which I think broke the record set in 2022.

There is funding going towards Salisbury-Asheville Amtrak and Raleigh-Wilmington Amtrak but I wish it was indeed more money and more money being spent faster.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri May 03, 2024 10:12 am

Fri May 03, 2024 10:03 am
AppinVA wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:28 pm
Awesome, everyone should call your reps and make this happen. This would make football in NC the best fan experience in the nation. Those guys must read Yosef’s Cabin. I suggested this in a thread a couple of weeks ago.
or funding things at a reasonable level. parks had a huge backlog of repairs. other infrastructure has needs. list is longer than i have time to type.
And railroads.
NC Amtrak had the most riders for a month ever in March 2024. And for the year 2024 is on record to break the 2023 record which I think broke the record set in 2022.

There is funding going towards Salisbury-Asheville Amtrak and Raleigh-Wilmington Amtrak but I wish it was indeed more money and more money being spent faster.
I misread the posts, but decided to leave the response to pull your chain a little.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:41 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:12 am
AppinVA wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:

And railroads.

I misread the posts, but decided to leave the response to pull your chain a little.
We could have everybody ride the train to the games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri May 03, 2024 12:11 pm

Nothing stopping you from writing Uncle Sam a check.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri May 03, 2024 1:06 pm

fjblair wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:18 am
Having the legislature involved in college football scheduling is ridiculous.
Well College football has gotten ridiculous

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri May 03, 2024 1:17 pm

Let's be real...This bill is the legislatures concession to allow NCSU and UNC to go to the SEC and BIG10.

If we see it pass without much trouble it means the moves are a done deal and we'll see it happen before SMU, Cal & Stanford are official ACC members so they can't vote against it.

This is good thing for us. North Carolinians on the whole get the games they want and the conference alignments they want.

Now if we can get an advantageous G5 playoff set up then we'll be set.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri May 03, 2024 7:02 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:17 pm
Let's be real...This bill is the legislatures concession to allow NCSU and UNC to go to the SEC and BIG10.

If we see it pass without much trouble it means the moves are a done deal and we'll see it happen before SMU, Cal & Stanford are official ACC members so they can't vote against it.

This is good thing for us. North Carolinians on the whole get the games they want and the conference alignments they want.

Now if we can get an advantageous G5 playoff set up then we'll be set.
After everything that's transpired in the circus we know as college football, nothing would surprise me anymore. And who knows? Something good could come of it.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 pm

This is to ensure as the pace of change continues to increase that UNC and NCSU can’t quit playing other in-state teams altogether.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat May 04, 2024 7:42 am

The bill sets aside $1 million to the Board of Governors to "inform eligible constituent institutions and members of the public about the intrastate athletic competition required" by the act. It would become effective on July 1 if passed.

Guess they are going to hire people to go door to door to tell everyone about it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:41 am
AppinVA wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:12 am
AppinVA wrote:

And railroads.

We could have everybody ride the train to the games.
A stop in Hickory and chartered bus would be a great way to get to Boone but I am not sure travel times would work for connections. I do wish either the Mountaineer Bus would be adjusted on game day a bit for a greener travel option.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat May 04, 2024 9:11 am

If this law is not written correctly, it could be obsolete as fast as it was written. If the P2 becomes a different subsection of college football.

The league - p2
FBS - m2, g3 or g4 (Or maybe m3 and no G)
FCS

It could void the wording of the bill.

Just a thought.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat May 04, 2024 10:33 am

I think if laws like this get passed across the nation, it will just be an added catalyst to push athletics to separate from schools and be their own entity of semi-pro/minor league sports that just use the name and likeness of the schools for their teams. I still think the split from the academic side is inevitable. There are billions of dollars at stake across the nation. The money movers will do whatever it takes to keep that pot growing.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:33 am
I think if laws like this get passed across the nation, it will just be an added catalyst to push athletics to separate from schools and be their own entity of semi-pro/minor league sports that just use the name and likeness of the schools for their teams. I still think the split from the academic side is inevitable. There are billions of dollars at stake across the nation. The money movers will do whatever it takes to keep that pot growing.
There is a new player in this game that no one seems to be taking into consideration: the online sports gambing companies and their lobbyists. Their profits are closely connected to decisions like these, although it may not appear to be so.

Ever wonder why USFL, XFL, etc. always struggled, but now the NFL is throwing serious resources behind the UFL to make it successful? More opportunities for betting...more opportunities for profits.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat May 04, 2024 1:25 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm
appdaze wrote:
There is a new player in this game that no one seems to be taking into consideration: the online sports gambing companies and their lobbyists. Their profits are closely connected to decisions like these, although it may not appear to be so.

Ever wonder why USFL, XFL, etc. always struggled, but now the NFL is throwing serious resources behind the UFL to make it successful? More opportunities for betting...more opportunities for profits.
While those are new-ish players, they don't care if NCstate is forced to play UNC Concord. Even if UNC and NCSU go their separate way, I could still see them playing once a year or two to keep the rivalry going. There have been plenty of big rivals that formed across conferences or maintained after one of them left. Betting companies aren't going to be that worried about conference movements.
Different conferences but still play:
Pitt and WVU
super lopsided but GA and GA tech.
Louisville and Kentucky
Clemson and SC

Splitting soon
Stanford and Cal
OK state and Oklahoma.

Point being, the gamblers aren't going to be that invested in this particular piece of legislation as UNC having to play WCU does nothing for them. I do agree, though, that they have an effect on the college scene as a whole. I would include them in the money movers.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/1 ... galization

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sat May 04, 2024 10:56 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm
appdaze wrote:

I don’t think betting companies care. Sure they’ll make more $ on a nice rivalry. But there’re just counting on people to bet on something. I’m not against gambling I just can’t find anything good from it. So rather than GIVING my money to the government or pay somebody to take it I just put my money on guitars,hunting and fishing stuff. ROI is not great but I can make a lot of noise!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”