Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TIGMA NIL

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: TIGMA NIL

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 am

If you multiply 85 players times 130 schools you get approximately 11,000 FBS level football players every season. Of that how many are truly worth big money- maybe 1%? Not sure exactly what "big money" is but maybe 6 figures? How many college football players make $100k or more a season now? If businesses want to help out players by having them represent their companies through legitimate advertising then by all means let them get paid. Dumping money to random collectives is a different story. Who exactly runs these deals and how do they decide how much a particular player should be paid? It just seems shady to me.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 am

You can’t discount the other athletes in your programs. The focus is on football, but there are more non football athletes that need to considered as well.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 am
You can’t discount the other athletes in your programs. The focus is on football, but there are more non football athletes that need to considered as well.
Because of Title IX requirements, I will not be surprised when smaller-budget schools begin dropping mens teams that do not produce revenue (i.e. App mens soccer and tennis). We could end up with football being the only mens sport and 85 scholarships worth of womens sports.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:52 am

I would see smaller schools dropping football and all its expenses before they drop their entire athletic program outside of it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
If they draw money then sure thing. Clark at Iowa is huge for them and women's basketball so she should be considered. There is a softball player at Miss State, gymnast at LSU, etc who make money.

Question. For App outside of football and now basketball do we have any players who have a huge social media following or draw a lot of people to their games? Even in basketball I don't see one star player who draws by themselves but the team as a collective whole. If a player of any sport draws money and eyeballs or has a huge social media following I would hope we have businesses who would jump on it to do a NIL deal.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:
If they draw money then sure thing. Clark at Iowa is huge for them and women's basketball so she should be considered. There is a softball player at Miss State, gymnast at LSU, etc who make money.

Question. For App outside of football and now basketball do we have any players who have a huge social media following or draw a lot of people to their games? Even in basketball I don't see one star player who draws by themselves but the team as a collective whole. If a player of any sport draws money and eyeballs or has a huge social media following I would hope we have businesses who would jump on it to do a NIL deal.
St. Laurent’s talent, personality, 3 chains, unbuttoned jersey and hair flow could definitely have a big following if he tried. (baseball). He oozes Swag! Banks Tolley could turn some heads as well.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:26 am
311neers wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:10 am
scatman77 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:08 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:36 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:53 pm

Agree. The Yosef Club is still a pretty tough sell for some.
Strangely and unfortunately true.
And for the life of me I don't understand why. I only wish I could give more.
Need improved degrees that lead to higher paying jobs. We’re a young FBS program and a growing University. Just need to grow it with the right degrees that lead to more income for alumni. Work in progress!
I’m not sure that would necessarily fix the problem. If we are talking about YC, we are talking about the scholarship fund and not overall donations. By comparison , in 2022, the athletic scholarship arm of the ECU Pirate Club raised $6.4 million. Outside of their medical school, I don’t know that their academic profile is much different. My point being that having higher yielding degrees may help, it’s not guaranteed. Based on student engagement at football, this club should have been growing by at least 250 new members a year for several years now. It just hasn’t.
With the monthly bank draft options available I think there is no excuse to be able to give something, even if only $10/month. Without this option I couldn't give as as much as I do (albeit not a big give) due to being retired. Imagine just half of our alumni (about 70K I think) giving $10/month. 12 x $10 x 70,000 = $8,400,000.00 per year. That ain't chump change.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:38 am

And the new norm reveals itself. Whore yourself out on social media so teams will buy you for your followers. Pretty sure Black Mirror did an episode about this. OnlyFans@Apppstate. NIL is going to become a worse underhanded mess than when players were paid under the table. I am all for players getting paid for their labor and name/likness usage like anyone else in our society, but NIL just isn't it.

Just wait until criminal.money starts getting moved through this. Gambler's want a certain team to win so they throw some money through NIL funds at the right players and then make specific wagers through a season based on the players they bought. Someone pays 500k for a qb to come in and then gets to a big game but wants to bet on the underdog so they win more money, they tell that QB to throw the game because they "own them" with the 500k from NIL.

Colleges are playing with fire and it's going to get ugly.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:08 am

The collectives are going to become a way just to wash money. So nobody will know if a gambling outfit is paying a player. But as I understand it right now Draft Kings or MGM could pay NIL money to anyone and there is nothing that could be done about it anyway. Others have mentioned scholarships. That limitation, 85 players, will go by the wayside. If Alabama wants 100 scholarships caliber players they could put 85 on scholarship and make up the difference in NIL money for the other 15. NIL as it stands will be a disaster.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:38 am

311neers wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 am
AppSt94 wrote:

St. Laurent’s talent, personality, 3 chains, unbuttoned jersey and hair flow could definitely have a big following if he tried. (baseball). He oozes Swag! Banks Tolley could turn some heads as well.
What is his social media following like? Has attendance increased heavily because of him and the team's success?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:47 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:08 am
The collectives are going to become a way just to wash money. So nobody will know if a gambling outfit is paying a player. But as I understand it right now Draft Kings or MGM could pay NIL money to anyone and there is nothing that could be done about it anyway. Others have mentioned scholarships. That limitation, 85 players, will go by the wayside. If Alabama wants 100 scholarships caliber players they could put 85 on scholarship and make up the difference in NIL money for the other 15. NIL as it stands will be a disaster.
The collectives are certainly an opportunity for money laundering, but I don’t think that it happens, especially if the funds are kept and processed through a US FI.

Yes, schools could use NIL to expand rosters but that seems counterintuitive when you see kids jumping in the portal because they are looking for playing time. If a kid is content to be 5th string End/Guard/Tackle (sit on the END of the bench, GUARD the water cooler and TACKLE anyone that gets near it) for 5k then he isn’t someone that wants to play.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:47 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
The collectives are certainly an opportunity for money laundering, but I don’t think that it happens, especially if the funds are kept and processed through a US FI.

Yes, schools could use NIL to expand rosters but that seems counterintuitive when you see kids jumping in the portal because they are looking for playing time. If a kid is content to be 5th string End/Guard/Tackle (sit on the END of the bench, GUARD the water cooler and TACKLE anyone that gets near it) for 5k then he isn’t someone that wants to play.
At The U, that money running through the Cayman Islands 😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:02 pm

There will always be the 1% who get big deals and make a splash that stains the reputations of the 99% who pick up needed funds to put them on the financial level of their college student peers who come from wealthier backgrounds. Might be 5% and 95% but I won't not support the 95% because of the 5. NIL isn't a bad thing for the majority where it is used correctly. TIGMA seems to be a source that uses NIL correctly. I think the 333 Collective is as well. It's the single donor who drops 6 figures pre-tax from his company because he wants that #1 running back to be at A&M that I don't support. I haven't seen that App has "that guy".

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:11 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:01 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:47 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

At The U, that money running through the Cayman Islands 😂😂
Very true. I don’t know what type of EDD these collectives will require but all transactions are screened for names and dollar amounts. Trends will be identified. Folks don’t launder money to give it away. Just something to think about.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:43 pm

Heard something on the radio earlier pertaining to this very discussion. It's not revolutionary to say but at the end of the football and basketball season there is only one trophy to give out- exclusive of conference championship trophies. Is it really worth the exhausting effort to try to raise and accumulate piles of money to throw at a few players with the hopes of being the singular final winner? If App never had a single athlete receive a single dime of NIL how much worse off would we be? Are we still going to have young people who want to play sports for a scholarship? Will we still have successful teams? Would we still have above average athletes transfer out? I'd say yes to all of that.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:10 pm

We aren’t losing guys to G5 peers because of NIL yet. Of course I am talking about guys transferring out. We have missed on some portal guys because of NIL.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm

With fans now being ask to pour even more money into NIL, plus season tickets, plus Yosef, etc., coaches will be under even more pressure to win with fans now essentially paying for players.

Fans will feel emboldened to demand firings, demand players be benched, etc.
And in my opinion, they will have every right to demand it. If the players are being paid to play, they’ll have to take the heat just like pros.

I know some fans are already very vocal, but it’s about to get much worse.

I hate all of this, and I’m glad I was able to enjoy the game for years before all this craziness got started.

What a mess. Go App!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:22 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm
With fans now being ask to pour even more money into NIL, plus season tickets, plus Yosef, etc., coaches will be under even more pressure to win with fans now essentially paying for players.

And in my opinion, they will have every right to demand it. If the players are being paid to play, they’ll have to take the heat just like pros.

I hate all of this, and I’m glad I was able to enjoy the game for years before all this craziness got started.

What a mess. Go App!
Fans are going to be fans and the increased feeling of entitlement with funding NIl won’t change that. Thing is, the NIL isn’t associated with App Athletics. They have no input other than to support at arms length. I agree with your sentiment. NIL was intended to be a good thing but it quickly morphed into an unchained animal.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:22 pm

Appst86 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Because of Title IX requirements, I will not be surprised when smaller-budget schools begin dropping mens teams that do not produce revenue (i.e. App mens soccer and tennis). We could end up with football being the only mens sport and 85 scholarships worth of womens sports.
I actually could see that happening at some point in the next 10 years or so.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:22 pm
KentHogan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm

What a mess. Go App!
Fans are going to be fans and the increased feeling of entitlement with funding NIl won’t change that. Thing is, the NIL isn’t associated with App Athletics. They have no input other than to support at arms length. I agree with your sentiment. NIL was intended to be a good thing but it quickly morphed into an unchained animal.
I agree with you both. I know they say the intent was to be good but the NCAA knew what it would become just like the rest of us with common sense knew as well. It is an unchained animal like you said and the money should come from TV revenue share instead of asking regular fans to give to this on top of the Yosef Club.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”