Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Cabral to WVU (Eric McDaniel is replacement)

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cabral to WVU

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Hiring McDaniel from Troy as the replacement. Not bad
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

T-Dog

Re: Cabral to WVU

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:17 am

The Tulane DL coach under Fritz stayed, hence (likely) why McDaniel didn't go.

McDaniel was a grad assistant at App in 2016 and 2017

hapapp

Re: Cabral to WVU (replacement already found)

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:15 am

He has essentially coached our system his entire coaching career. Had great success at Troy with quite a few all-conference players. Also played for Clark at Purdue.

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Cabral to WVU (replacement already found)

Unread post by biggie » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:24 am

AppOrange

Re: Cabral to WVU (Eric McDaniel is replacement)

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:06 pm

Do we pay that much more for a lat move, or is this a case of the new guy putting his own staff together?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:13 pm

Both made $140k last year. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... /assistant

App assistant pay was $1.8M versus Troy's $1.7M, largest difference was our OC made $80k more. Unsure if our assistant pay pool will increase for 2024.

I'd assume an overall better opportunity for the next move even if pay was close. He may see App as a place that has better young dline talent and a better overall team the next couple of years. Plus Boone (a place he's lived previously) versus Troy, AL doesn't hurt either.

For fun Boise, ECU, UTSA, and Memphis Asst. pools are ~$2.4-$2.8M, however we're in line about half of the public MWC and AAC schools and above the MAC and CUSA schools ($1.2M-$1.4M). Our asst. pool needs to be closer to the $2.2M mark to be competitive for asst. positions.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:51 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:06 pm
Do we pay that much more for a lat move, or is this a case of the new guy putting his own staff together?
It appears that he wasn’t asked to join Sumrall at Tulane nor was he retained by the new coach. As it was explained to me, the number one job for any assistant coach is to stay employed. The pay bumps are great when you can get them, but these guys can’t afford to get off the hamster wheel for just one season.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:00 pm

After the utter thrashing the Trojans DL laid on us last season, I doubt we’ll hear many complaints about McDaniel joining Clark’s staff.

Re: McDaniel making a lateral career move, I have to imagine:
1. Coming back to Boone
2. Rejoining a competitive team (rebuild)
3. Not living in Troy, AL anymore

are probably worth something to him and his family.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm

Also, please provide insight into our offense being predictable on certain plays
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:40 am

Bootsy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:00 pm
After the utter thrashing the Trojans DL laid on us last season, I doubt we’ll hear many complaints about McDaniel joining Clark’s staff.

Re: McDaniel making a lateral career move, I have to imagine:
1. Coming back to Boone
2. Rejoining a competitive team (rebuild)
3. Not living in Troy, AL anymore

are probably worth something to him and his family.
[/quote)

Coach McDaniel seems to be doing quite well in his career path (to date} of coaching someone else's recruits. That's not a criticism--just an observation. In the next six-to-twelve months we should be able to observe his recruiting chops. He hails from Calhoun, Ga so perhaps we'll see how well he establishes or renews contacts in Ga, eastern Tenn, the upstate of SC, northern Bama and extreme WNC.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:55 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm
Also, please provide insight into our offense being predictable on certain plays
If we pass on first down and it's incomplete, 90% of the time we run on second down. And likewise, if a run is less than 3 yards on first down, then we throw a check down or deigned <10 yard pass on second down 90% of the time.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:35 am

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:55 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
If we pass on first down and it's incomplete, 90% of the time we run on second down. And likewise, if a run is less than 3 yards on first down, then we throw a check down or deigned <10 yard pass on second down 90% of the time.
It's predictable b/c its how plays are called. The goal on most drives is to get first downs by playing to our strength and the defenses weakness.

What you described makes getting first downs easier...Remember this isn't a video game so you can't throw the ball 100 times.

There's levels to this shit...it's chess not checkers

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:59 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:35 am
T-Dog wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
It's predictable b/c its how plays are called. The goal on most drives is to get first downs by playing to our strength and the defenses weakness.

What you described makes getting first downs easier...Remember this isn't a video game so you can't throw the ball 100 times.

There are a lot of us that have noticed the predictability and would like a move towards being like The Queen's Gambit.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:03 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:59 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

There are a lot of us that have noticed the predictability and would like a move towards being like The Queen's Gambit.
What does that look like though? Most of us see it as one of two thing. It’s either a run or a pass. Like it was said above, it’s a chess match.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:23 pm

We did an excellent job down the stretch of calling higher percentage plays. A short pass to the flat that is very likely to be caught and get 3-4 yards is as good as a run. We played to our strengths more and the results speak for themselves.

Also a good oline makes play calling easier, if we get better push up front our OC will look like a genius to everyone.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:47 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Yes I agree it's predictable....

Arguably though we are the wrong group to ask if our play calling is predictable. Most of us have watched every snape of every game for a decade now. We know the offensive scheme as well as one could in our position.

Much like how Tony Romo can predict the play while calling a game so can we.

Is this a problem?...Maybe...we haven't had the matured and seasoned talent the past 2 years that we've had in the past which has lead to the less that stellar outcomes (That's NOT a knock on anyone).

Honestly now that Ponce is in year 2 of this stint with an awesome QB/WR/RB we will probably see some new wrinkles which means things aren't going to be predictable.

But I leave you with this...if we keep winning does it matter if it's predictable?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:02 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:47 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Yes I agree it's predictable....

Arguably though we are the wrong group to ask if our play calling is predictable. Most of us have watched every snape of every game for a decade now. We know the offensive scheme as well as one could in our position.

Much like how Tony Romo can predict the play while calling a game so can we.

Is this a problem?...Maybe...we haven't had the matured and seasoned talent the past 2 years that we've had in the past which has lead to the less that stellar outcomes (That's NOT a knock on anyone).

Honestly now that Ponce is in year 2 of this stint with an awesome QB/WR/RB we will probably see some new wrinkles which means things aren't going to be predictable.

But I leave you with this...if we keep winning does it matter if it's predictable?
In all honesty, if we are playing ahead of the chains with decent gains in yardage on first downs and have third and manageable, the play call is mute.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:51 pm
AppOrange wrote:
It appears that he wasn’t asked to join Sumrall at Tulane nor was he retained by the new coach. As it was explained to me, the number one job for any assistant coach is to stay employed. The pay bumps are great when you can get them, but these guys can’t afford to get off the hamster wheel for just one season.
Being a position coach at a G5 school looks like a brutal way to make a living. I think you’re right, just stay employed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:53 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:51 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Being a position coach at a G5 school looks like a brutal way to make a living. I think you’re right, just stay employed.
Has much as I would love to be skilled and knowledgeable enough to do that job, I don’t know that I could deal with the uncertainty of stability. Especially when trying to raise a family.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:06 pm

Cabral is proof of the coaching world being brutal. Did a tremendous job at his alma mater. The head coach got fired and he had to go to selling football helmets to keep food on the table.

Now, one season back in the coaching ranks and he's likely making life changing money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”