Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

September 7, 2024

Saint3333

Re: September 7, 2024

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:22 am

Top 25 would debut on 10/1 each year.

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon May 06, 2024 7:32 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:56 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:27 pm
I’ll be happy with the 2024 Sunbelt Championship.
Then you’re one of our fans who should have a pretty good chance at actually having fun watching our games. That’s what I’m going to try to do, be happy with a good showing in the Belt and if we win a P5 or two, great. But having to make the playoffs and win all our P5 games to enjoy the season is not going to work out. I got myself in that place a couple of years ago and by the end of the season my family didn’t want to be around me on game day.
I'm not telling you how to feel or how to be a fan, but this is my list to determine a successful season:

1. Beat Ga Southern
2. Winning record
3. Bowl game/win
4. Play in conference championship
5. Win conference championship
6. Playoff, NY6, whatever other cherries-on-top are available

I understand that the playoff and NY6 are super hard to attain. A Sun Belt championship and/or a bowl win is going to be the best we can do most years, and I'm ok with that. As long as we have a winning record and/or beat Stink, I can deal with it.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:55 am

I like this list. I will also add beat CCU. We are 1-2 in the last 3 games in Conway (same record with Ga So in Statesboro I might add). Beating CCU and Ga So on the road are huge goals for me.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon May 06, 2024 8:31 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:32 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Then you’re one of our fans who should have a pretty good chance at actually having fun watching our games. That’s what I’m going to try to do, be happy with a good showing in the Belt and if we win a P5 or two, great. But having to make the playoffs and win all our P5 games to enjoy the season is not going to work out. I got myself in that place a couple of years ago and by the end of the season my family didn’t want to be around me on game day.
I'm not telling you how to feel or how to be a fan, but this is my list to determine a successful season:

1. Beat Ga Southern
2. Winning record
3. Bowl game/win

I understand that the playoff and NY6 are super hard to attain. A Sun Belt championship and/or a bowl win is going to be the best we can do most years, and I'm ok with that. As long as we have a winning record and/or beat Stink, I can deal with it.
A number 7...a bowl game that is not during a monsoon would be an added plus...😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon May 06, 2024 9:02 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:31 am
MrCraig wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:32 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

1. Beat Ga Southern
2. Winning record
3. Bowl game/win

A number 7...a bowl game that is not during a monsoon would be an added plus...😂
The 2023 Avocados from Mexico Cure bowl will be talked about for years, just because of the rain. Georgia Southern fans still talk about the Hugo Bowl.https://gseagles.com/news/2019/8/28/foo ... -hugo-bowl

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:38 pm
Stonewall wrote:
The playoffs are a pipe dream

How did George Carlin put it about the Country Club

I don’t think the playoffs are a pipe dream. Difficult task, yes.

For now, one G5 team gets in, so we might as well aim for the stars. I will never just settle for conference championships, but it would be nice to win one again.

I admit having high aspirations leads to disappointment but it’s the only way I know to be a fan.

Go App!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon May 06, 2024 12:16 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:55 am
I like this list. I will also add beat CCU. We are 1-2 in the last 3 games in Conway (same record with Ga So in Statesboro I might add). Beating CCU and Ga So on the road are huge goals for me.
I don't disagree, but in my mind those types of goals shift from year to year. I really want to beat Coastal this year, but if we beat them the next 5 years in a row? Then it's not that big of a deal. I don't hate Coastal, or Marshall or JMU for that matter, the way I hate Southern.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 06, 2024 12:33 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

For now, one G5 team gets in, so we might as well aim for the stars. I will never just settle for conference championships, but it would be nice to win one again.

I admit having high aspirations leads to disappointment but it’s the only way I know to be a fan.

Go App!
So if we go 10-2, win the SBC and don’t get into the CFP, you consider the season a failure?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon May 06, 2024 12:53 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:33 pm
KentHogan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Go App!
So if we go 10-2, win the SBC and don’t get into the CFP, you consider the season a failure?
I agree with KentHogan, but to answer 94's point, NO it is not an all or nothing result. It is a definite YES if you win the National Championship in any sport, but even if you have a high goal/expectation and don't reach it doesn't mean it was a "failure". I may say we had a great season in 2019 at 13-1, BUT if we take the Ga Southern game, which we definitely had the ability to win that game, then we almost certainly been in a NY6 game. We were close but didn't get it done. However we still had a great year.

I don't agree with folks who are willing to just say, I am happy to just win a SBC championship and go to a middling/low tier bowl in first week. I want our team to want and drive for more every year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:06 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:53 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Go App!
I agree with KentHogan, but to answer 94's point, NO it is not an all or nothing result. It is a definite YES if you win the National Championship in any sport, but even if you have a high goal/expectation and don't reach it doesn't mean it was a "failure". I may say we had a great season in 2019 at 13-1, BUT if we take the Ga Southern game, which we definitely had the ability to win that game, then we almost certainly been in a NY6 game. We were close but didn't get it done. However we still had a great year.

I don't agree with folks who are willing to just say, I am happy to just win a SBC championship and go to a middling/low tier bowl in first week. I want our team to want and drive for more every year.
That’s an understandable mindset of a fan, but it’s somewhat counterintuitive to how a coaching staff has to create a mindset in the players. As a coach, you have to level set goals with what you can control. Setting the expectations of a goal to reach the CFP sends the pressure packed message that you “have to be perfect” everyday. In doing that you create a situation where a loss to Clemson, which is likely to happen, derails your season and any subsequent loss slides the collective morale down.

The goal is to prepare each week to beat the opponent which is all that they can control. Win the SBC and see what happens.

I don’t think that folks are accepting of a SBC title and a middling bowl game as a bad thing. It’s an exceptance of what is the ceiling under ordinary circumstances.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon May 06, 2024 1:35 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:06 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Go App!

That’s an understandable mindset of a fan, but it’s somewhat counterintuitive to how a coaching staff has to create a mindset in the players. As a coach, you have to level set goals with what you can control. Setting the expectations of a goal to reach the CFP sends the pressure packed message that you “have to be perfect” everyday. In doing that you create a situation where a loss to Clemson, which is likely to happen, derails your season and any subsequent loss slides the collective morale down.

The goal is to prepare each week to beat the opponent which is all that they can control. Win the SBC and see what happens.

I don’t think that folks are accepting of a SBC title and a middling bowl game as a bad thing. It’s an exceptance of what is the ceiling under ordinary circumstances.

Do teams not have a listed set of goals from the beginning of the season?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

pop5app wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:35 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:

Go App!

They absolutely do. Would you be disappointed to find out that making the CFP isn’t one of those listed? If so, I have some bad news for you.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon May 06, 2024 1:42 pm

pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:

Go App!

That's about the only thing I fear with the staff. In my gut, I feel like winning a national championship or going undefeated isn't a stated goal of ours. Could be wrong though. I hope that's a goal of ours.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Did Pollard or Smith have a stated goal to win the College World Series?

Can we go 12-0? Sure
Can we win the SBC? Sure
Can the players and coaches do tangible work to reach those goals? Yes

Does achieving those goals guarantee that they make the CFP? No. It certainly helps their chances, but it is not a guarantee.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon May 06, 2024 1:56 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Can we go 12-0? Sure
Can we win the SBC? Sure

Does achieving those goals guarantee that they make the CFP? No. It certainly helps their chances, but it is not a guarantee.
Pollard, yes. Not sure about Kermit although at the banquet he said Omaha was the goal. Definitely not Billy, haha!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon May 06, 2024 2:00 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:42 pm
pop5app wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That's about the only thing I fear with the staff. In my gut, I feel like winning a national championship or going undefeated isn't a stated goal of ours. Could be wrong though. I hope that's a goal of ours.
Undefeated is a great goal and it should be ours. That is still far, far away from a National Championship.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 06, 2024 2:03 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:56 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Can we go 12-0? Sure
Can we win the SBC? Sure

Pollard, yes. Not sure about Kermit although at the banquet he said Omaha was the goal. Definitely not Billy, haha!
That’s a reasonable goal for baseball to set in terms of the opportunity is in their control. Play your way into the tournament and you decide your fate. Football doesn’t work that way. Western Michigan went 12-0 in 2017(?) and were a Navy win over Army from getting shut out of the NY6.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:39 am

#BeatETSU.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Mon May 13, 2024 11:54 am

AppSt94 wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Go App!
Not at all, 10-2 with no CFP wouldn’t be a failure.

I’m just saying that we should strive for the G5 CFP bid as our highest goal every year and not just be happy with a Sun Belt championship.

Although a Sun Belt title would be nice since we haven’t had one in the past 4 seasons.

Of course, the first goal should be the conference title, without it there can be no CFP bid.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm

We have to win the SBC championship in order to get opportunity at CFP...and yes IMO, the goals or however you want to term it... should be to try to achieve CFP...does not mean it is a disappointment if you do not make it.
IMO, I do think it should be a bit of a disappointment if we do not win the SBC championship every year. As App..St., that should be the goal..will we make it every year, odds say No...but that should be the goal...and not the end of the world if we do not... However, We are App. St...and that means something for a reason...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”